1/48 Fairey Barracuda MkII

Finished at last!!!!!!!!!! This kit sat in the cupboard for about 4 years before I started it,strange considering it's one of my favourite aircraft. It's a limited run kit and shows it,with resin and etched brass included though.No weapons and some detail is missing although Special Hobby released a "Hi-Tech" MkII/III version which contains weapons as well as parts to do a MKIII. I added some detail to the cockpit taking a leaf out of Tony O'Tooles's build in SAM as you can see quite a lot.One thing I would have liked to see is a vacform canopy (I intend to beg John Adams at Telford for this) as I've three more in the stash.Speaking of John Adams,the Aeroclub white metal detail set for the Sierra vacform kit is very useful for this and several of the kit parts were replaced by this set especially flaps and undercarriage. the underwing bomracks are from Tamiya Mosquitos and the 1600lb AP bomb is from the AM Avenger with a scratchbuilt mechanism. Paints are from a variety of sources and Phil Flory's sludge wash was also used.The decals are a combination of kit and spares as I felt the wing roundels were too large.Markings are for HMS Victorious during Operation Tungsten,the attck on the German battleship Tirpitz.

Questions and comments are welcome

Stephen

PS the Yagi radar antenna are UNBELIEVABLY delicate and just breathing on them seems to change the shape.

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great, I only have one in the stash, maybe move it up a couple!

Any drama's with the build? I have read a few horror stories, but have found in the past some of the more 'difficult' kits are more fun, I like a challange (thats why I'm married!)

Great model, Stephen, but whatever happened to "if it looks right it'll fly right" ?? - Like I said, great model, masking that greenhouse must've been a h*ll of a chore !

Ian

Looks great, I only have one in the stash, maybe move it up a couple!

Any drama's with the build? I have read a few horror stories, but have found in the past some of the more 'difficult' kits are more fun, I like a challange (thats why I'm married!)

The radar antennae!!!!! Leave it to last. The dihedral for the wing takes some fiddling about with to get just right and I'd get the Aeroclub Barracuda detail set.

Stephen

Very nice job Stephen!

Where do you find the time??!

Al

This flying lark doesn't half cut into your modelling time. Especially when your working day is extended by idiot tanker drivers who try and refuel a 767 with an empty bowser.

Excellent job, Stephen. I see you even got in the missing window. :thumbsup:

K

Courtesy of Tony O'Tooles build in SAM.

Stephen