airfix 707

richellis

What do I need to do to convert an airfix 707, into a 707 320?

I know about the wing tips, is the span different??

I also know I need new engines, Can the airfix ones be altered? I am trying to save spending lots on this!

Anything else?

Im not after a perfect model, Just a looks right!

And I guess its not the best base, But again I dont want to buy a new kit!

Would the revel E3 awacs not be a closer match to the 320 ? I had to cut a section out to make it into a 720, so the length might be ok and this has the unrounded trailing edge. Also has the yank engines instead of the brit ones.

Got mine off Ebay for about £10.

Neil

There's a lot of information on how to do this conversion at the airlinermodelling group at groups.yahoo.com. You have to join (no cost) and then search for this page in the files section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airlinermode...20707%2C%20720/

David

some had a tall tail, others didnt!

I now need to find a revell e3-a!

So much for saving money!

PM inbound

The Revell kit is actually not that close to a 707 except the prototype. the Minicraft kit is better, but has some critisism.

Ultimate 707 guide here:

http://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=72

Edited by Dave Fleming

You will need new engines (Airfix kit has RR Conways)

Biggie is the wing root trailing edge - the kit has the curved shape, the 320 had the straight extended trailing edge at the root.

Just to clarify, the 320B/C has the different trailing edge, the 320 has the same as the Airfix kit.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm sure this has been done somewhere here already...

anyway - the quick and simple (as alexander the meerkat would say)

The various marks of 707 -

1) 707-120

2) 707-320

3) 707-320B

4) 707-320C

5) 707-420

this doesnt include the variants for Qantas and Braniff which were built just for those airlines

(I posted pics of the above variants except the 2 for QF and BN here already...they arent perfect but they are close enough)

-120 can be made from the revell kit but you need early engines

-120B can be made from the revell kit and the kit supplied PW's used

both need the fuse shortening and in the case of the -120B the fin needs to be of the taller type

note revell's fin is too tall...

early intercontinental version does NOT use the PW engines that come with the revell kit

you can make this version from the Airfix kit without chopping up the fuse or changing the wings...the engines arent quite right but they are close...look at pics on airliners.net

-320B

BIG BIG BIG changes - this is where the fuse changes and the wings also.

but you didnt ask about this type so I'm not going inot it. Just buy the minicraft kit

-320C...same as the B but with a cargo door

Fins -

The early versions of the -120, 120B and 320 came with a short fin

all the rest have a taller fin

depending on which type and sub type look out for the ventral fin - some had a little on, some had a big one and some had none at all...

I dont have measurements, sorry...I just used the mark one eyeball for mine...

Revell kit -

This has been re-issued as most variants by rv and it isnt any of them

It's also not 1/144 scale...but if converting it its close enough if you arent picky

hth

:)

Its an Iraqi 707 320B. Ive done the trailing edge of the wing, and the wing tips. I now need to add 5/6mm to the tail (I think?!)

I am after some engines, but I may try and modify the RR as I only want a "Looks OK" not a 100% accurate.

My Uncle flew them, for Iraqi.

And I also have seen some 120 and fancy doing one of them too. I do Like John Travoltas 707 138, and have spent some time today looking at this

Edited by richellis