1/48th Airfix TSR-2

Hi chaps, following the madness that was SMW, I've decided that the time has come to grab the bull by the horns and finally build one of my 4 big TSR-2's!! particularly as I spent a fortune on after market bits for the kit and don't want to spend a lot of time sticking all my hard work on a dodo!!

We all know the horrendous cock up Airfix have made with this one regarding the forward fuselage and it's weird bulged look so I'm going to break out the hacksaw, sledgehammer, bandsaw and acetalene cutter and batter the thing into shape...this will also involve squaring the fuselage corners up as well as they are all too rounded... :banghead:

With the help of info gleaned from Campbell, (of Odds and ordnance who are doing the whole front end with integrated intakes in resin late next year), I am going to set about altering the thing as I couldn't wait that long!!!hope your uveitis clears up soon Campbell :thumbsup:)

First up is setting the model against a set of 1/48th plans ...where the extent of the problem becomes apparent!! the panel lines along the roof of the forward fuselage should be parallel not angled as on the kit.This is what gives it the bloated appearence when viewed from above, so it's a simple matter of cutting out the long panel and reinforcing the sides with plastic strip.I found that the easiest way to do this was to cut the nose section off just ahead of the intakes and remove the roof section with an Olfa cutter.

This improves things no end but is really only the beginning of major surgery!!

The next problem is the underside floor section which now has to be narrowed the same way and flattened off as the kits section is almost circular!!...Putting this section against the plans now shows the biggest problem!!.....the fuselage is too deep and needs drastic work to line it up parallel to the panel lines.

All this is very baffling because Airfix got it (almost) right with the 1/72nd version ironically started life as a 1/48th prototype!!), went off to China and came back looking 6 months pregnant...what on Earth happened, did they give the moulds to Trumpeters famous fantasy design team??

Even after all this is hacked into shape there lies one last major hurdle...all this surgery will leave an 8mm difference between the intake shroud and shock cone...put simply the intakes on the kit are too narrow and the cone too small....we'll cross that bridge when we come to it :banghead:

Anyway this is going to be a long project as I have a lot of review stuff to carve through over XMAS, but I will regularly update as things progress....

Here's some pics of progress today,

Cheers all :cheers:

General M...

The forward section is removed just behind the intakes...the black line along the bottom fuselage is where the fuselage must be cut to match the plans...a lot of work will be needed to marry everything up to the mid fuselage area!

P1060798.jpg

P1060790.jpg

You can see in these pics how much more accurate the 72nd fuselage is in comparison..

P1060783.jpg

This really shows the problem...whilst the 72nd version has some bulge the larger kits is way over sized...

P1060787.jpg

P1060788.jpg

Best way to deal with the problem is to remove the top panel , bring in the sides and square off the panel before refitting....

P1060796.jpg

The bottom now bows out alarmingly and will also need cutting back...

P1060801.jpg

Whilst far from perfect it will require a lot less work now to flatten the sides to a more accurate profile...

P1060806.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED !!!

Edited by general melchett

Thanks fellas, it's funny but I've done several complete scratch builds now and this doesn't feel like it's going to be too much hassle , I guess it's all a matter of perception., but it will take a while as I have other stuff to concentrate on..

Ozh...thinkl I'll stick to the 1/48th at the moment, though if this one goes to plan then I'll mirror it with the 3 other 48ths, making it a multiple build.....if you see what I mean. :wicked: .LOL

Melchie.. :cheers:

Rich...hope you're well underway with your Blinder !! :whistle: .........no slacking that man !!!!!!

Sorry hazza, this was what I wanted to avoid, I realize most folks won't wish to do all this extra work and to be honest the kit looks great as is.................it's just that I'm a scratchbuilder by nature as that is half the fun for me and if I know there's a problem with shape then I just have to fix it...it's just me :banghead: , also being part of the R and D team I have access to a lot of accurate info on the aircraft...be rude not to use it.... ;)

Hope it hasn't put you off your build !!

Cheers,

Andy

Looking good Andy,

Though I wont go to these lengths on my (to date) 16 Teesers will just enjoy watching the self inflicted masochism! :frantic:

I assume you have the rather splendid Cammett Tanks and Blue Water Missiles then?

They are perfect examples of 1st class resin casting.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, ah..the perfect pain of self inflicted masochism :banghead: ...,yep the Cammet stuff is top quality!!, two Blue waters, two radar Martels, new resin intakes with open relief doors in the right place!!) will need cutting up!!), Model Alliance 1250 gal belly tank and IFR probe, then some CMK and Eduard bits too,

I'll scratch the cockpit myself as I intend to have the cockpit closed just adding a couple of Airwaves seats. I've also done the undercarriage splay angle tweek, though to the angle I think is right for a heavily armed aircraft..

Bit more done tonight..

You get some idea of the incorrect taper from this.The panel lines should be virtually parallel!!

P1060813.jpg

After a few minutes of fettling, all in place and braced underneath with square section plasti-rod and filler....you can see the bulge still present on the underside which will be dealt with next....

P1060827.jpg

P1060828.jpg

P1060825-1.jpg

Herr General

Will the fuselage not still be "bent" in plan? Or is some serious sanding going to ensue?

Not easier to use the Dynavector forward fuselage?

Graham

Thanks Graham, yep vigorous sanding will be the order of the day, but I always intended to remove the Airfix 'trenches' anyway so it wont be a problem.Sadly I don't have the Dynavector kit...be a lot cheaper to butcher these anyway...luckily I have a few'spare' fuselages to play with . :wicked:

Thanks Bex, hope it's a big bag..................might be a wee while............it's gonna be a fair bit of work. :frantic:

Next step, attack the underside. Same problem as the top...the sides need drawing in and the underside panelling flattening off..Firstly I cut the large lower wraparound panel in half as it will no longer fit once the sides are sanded back. These are then glued into place and sanded until even. About 6mm on each side just behind the nose gear bay must be removed to ensure that the panel fits snugly and gives the underside a more accentuated edge.

You now notice that the undercarriage bay sides need cutting back and squaring off so that the bay fits properly....all good fun innit!! :hobbyhorse:

We are now getting somewhere!! :jump_fire:

The lower bulge has now gone and the whole thing is looking more like the real deal............

P1060829.jpg

P1060830.jpg

P1060831.jpg

The top panel will be sanded to shape once everything is in place...

P1060832.jpg

The underside rear panel will be blended into the fuselage sides to give it the correct shape...

P1060833.jpg

This shows the work needed on the undercarriage recess, just a case of squaring it all up.

P1060834.jpg

Oh yes Andy, this is good! I like a lot and will be shamelessly copying your cut and shut job on my next two builds! Hope you don't mind too much!

By the way, the 1/48 drawing you are working to, any chance of a copy.....will happily pay.

Cheers

Kirk

Oh yes Andy, this is good! I like a lot and will be shamelessly copying your cut and shut job on my next two builds! Hope you don't mind too much!

By the way, the 1/48 drawing you are working to, any chance of a copy.....will happily pay.

Cheers

Kirk

Me to :thumbsup:

Graham

Sorry hazza, this was what I wanted to avoid, I realize most folks won't wish to do all this extra work and to be honest the kit looks great as is.................it's just that I'm a scratchbuilder by nature as that is half the fun for me and if I know there's a problem with shape then I just have to fix it...it's just me :banghead: , also being part of the R and D team I have access to a lot of accurate info on the aircraft...be rude not to use it.... ;)

Hope it hasn't put you off your build !!

Cheers,

Andy

On TSR2????

Graham

We all know the horrendous cock up Airfix have made with this one regarding the forward fuselage and it's weird bulged look so I'm going to break out the hacksaw, sledgehammer, bandsaw and acetalene cutter and batter the thing into shape...

Errr, I didn't know about it. Does that make me unique General??!!

Luckily I don't have room for one of these things, so I shall just sit back & watch you suffer with..... I mean enjoy the build !!

But flippin' 'eck Andy you don't hang about do you? In the time you posted all this progress all I've managed to do is paint the windscreen rubbers & ink in the panel lines on my Lancia Stratos build. Wish I could speed up a bit....!!! :frantic::D

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Thanks guys, well I've been called into work today on a day off, as we are inundated with work so my plans for finishing the fuselage by tonight are out the window!!...still I have the next few days to myself and should have it done by the weekend.My main concern and one I chatted at great length with Campbell about will be the issue of the intakes and the rather large discrepancy between the main body and the corrected fuselage!.....I'll show this in photos later.It appears that the whole intake is too narrow and that the shock cones undersized...this will be the knock on effect caused by Airfix's 'flight of fancy' with the bulged forward fuselage nonsense!! :banghead:...but where there's a will!!! :wicked:

Kirk and Graham, all I have done is scale up Barry Higates plans in his ' Experimental British Aircraft' book..I'll glady make a copy up when I get access to a scanner..( mines decided to spit its dummy out :deadhorse: !!).

Graham, sadly not the real thing, (I was only 8 at the time!!), but the Rand D sig run by Joe Cherrie.............it's the spiritual home of most of my builds..

Keef old chap....it's not the quantity but the quality that counts............now that's out the way..............pull your ruddy finger out...........you've got a Victor to finish before the New Year, and now that I've given you all the bits you need........no excuses!!!..... :whistle:

Cheers now,

Melchie....

Enjoying this one very much General, I have 4 of my own (1 almost built and 3 virgin in box). I'll be particulally interested in how you sort out the cockpit coaming as it's WAY too high!

Tony :clif:

Thanks Tony, that'll be in part 2.. :winkgrin: ..it's amazing when you talk to various people in the know just how many bits Airfix got wrong, having said that it builds well enough out of the box if you can overlook these errors.

Yeah, I've got 3 more in the stash and I will probably do the same to all of 'em as it's not really that much hassle and I personally can't live with it the way it is OOB..but that's me..

I was holding off on this mod until I knew more about how far Odds and Ordnance had got with their modified fuselage and predicted cost!!...but as Campbell will be out of action for some while on medical grounds and that it wouldn't be until well into late next year before it was ready, I decided to go for it myself!!

All the best,

Das General...

Andy,

I like the way you make is look easy to do the conversion and the notes to go with it.

Might be my next project. BTW have you seen this undercarriage, especially with all that resin weight.

Robert

Edited by Robert

Andy,

I like the way you make is look easy to do the conversion and the notes to go with it.

Might be my next project. BTW have you seen this undercarriage, especially with all that resin weight.

Robert

I need three of them! The first one unfortunately has passed "the point of no return", so to speak. I think A2zee sell them.

Tony :clif:

Thanks fellas, ...Al that's going to be the fun bit :analintruder: ....as a lot of adjusting is going to have to be done including modding the top'plate' as the 'prongs' are now too wide...oh well ...onward men!!

Ta Robert...no I hadn't seen that set before...I will certainly order a couple of sets ...I've already heavily modified the kits gear to reduce the splayed duck look of the kits, so will probably stick with this for now..

Thanks for that!!

Das General....

The biggest problem that I can envisage will be fitting and blending the intakes and the fact that they are going to have to be quite heavily modified to fit...

I took a lot of pics at Cosford just for this project and one thing that strikes me regarding the intakes is shown below, namely that the shock cone centrebody is fitted directly to the fuselage and that the intake shroud is fitted well away creating an area of boundary layer, it's an entirely seperate unit..this is the path I will follow as it should fill in some of the 8mm discrepancy following the fuselage mod.

IMG_3428.jpg