Roman Legionary 120mm

T-Tango

T-Tango, Hi, I've put in an order for this figure, along with #1613 the Greek Hoplite. I am also going to try to get the book you mentioned. THANKS for the heads up on these items. BTW , I went back over the 2 horses in the mounted figures to check on how much putty filler I used on them. ! is already painted in the colored undercoat, but the other one I've yet to prime yet. There is really very little filler used, Mainly around where the head joint is & between the front legs. The problem with assembling the horse came from the bottom seam. The bottom edgees are bowed out. I elected to use the parts as is because I thought making them flatter would make the width of the horse too thin where the saddle sits. The clamps I use are like Vise-grips with soft coated ends & they leave no scratches on the model. So far the 2 horses have held together with no breaks. As to the price for these figures ,I paid $ 45.00 each here in the US & I consider them a bargain. Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to be clear about everything. Carl T :speak_cool:

Hi Carl, sorry mate missed your reply, you say you've paid $45.00 dollars for each of the models, are these the Miniart Roman and Spartan, over here they cost £9.99 or $16.50 each.

Pete

Hi Carl, sorry mate missed your reply, you say you've paid $45.00 dollars for each of the models, are these the Miniart Roman and Spartan, over here they cost £9.99 or $16.50 each.

Pete

Pete, I am sorry to be so late in my reply. I paid the $45.00 each for the mounted cuirassier & dragoon figures. I paid about $17.00 for the French Musketeer figure. I will be going over to Dover, NH tomorrow to pick up the Roman & Greek figures & I expect to pay around $ 17.00 each for them Carl T :speak_cool:

Pete, I am sorry to be so late in my reply. I paid the $45.00 each for the mounted cuirassier & dragoon figures. I paid about $17.00 for the French Musketeer figure. I will be going over to Dover, NH tomorrow to pick up the Roman & Greek figures & I expect to pay around $ 17.00 each for them Carl T :speak_cool:

Yes, it seems when you add a horse to the equation you double the price, but good luck with your figures, you must get round to posting some pics, we would love to see them.

Ok you guys, I'm after some help and ideas here, the Praetorian Guard I think on reflection is too high key ie. his armour, helmet and metal uniform parts are too silvery bright, the bronze decorations are too bright more like a highly polished brass or dull gold, for the Legionary I'm going for a much lower key, his armour and helmet although polished iron would be very dark metallic, the bronze parts would be a metallic brown, what I'm trying to create is somebody that has been on campaign for months, with long marches every day, skirmishes and battles etc. etc. What are your ideas?

The Roman soldier underwent especially rigorous training; discipline was the base of the army's success and the soldiers were relentlessly and constantly trained with weapons and especially with drill — forced marches with full load and in tight formation were frequent. Discipline was important and infractions were heavily punished by the centurions.

Discipline also covers keeping all your weapons and equipment in the best possible order. In the days of hand to hand combat this was even more important because failure of even a strap could put your life at risk. We have all heard the "for a want of a nail a shoe was lost etc. So any solder, who was worth his salt, would check his kit as soon as he was able to and make running repairs etc. Rust was another problem to be dealt with as it could seriously damage the armour. Add to that pride in the Legion translating into pride in one's appearance and you have a smart army.

So dusty after a long days marching, and setting up a fortified camp at the end of it, Bloody after a battle maybe but as clean and tidy as possible the next day.

My 2 cents worth.

Dave

Guest snipersmudge

I agree with Ajed 1 on this one. The discipline and training of the soldiers would not allow them to have really badly tarnished weapons or kit. My suggestion is to go for more muted colours or add some weathering to the items in the form of dark washes with oil paints etc.

pete

Ignorant as i am about most things Roman, i do have a suggestion: if he's been in action, then perhaps a few scratches in the shield and maybe a dent in the shield boss? Painted over, of course (in keeping with the idea of Legionaires making sure their kit was in the best possible condition). Maybe a scratch or two on the helmet as well?

You could even give him a scratch or two, if you like...

Thanks for the replies guys, what I was meaning, that, yes his armour would be well presented, clean, free from rust etc. etc. But the actual colours of iron and bronze should be a lot darker than I depicted on the Praetorian Guard. For example his armour and helmet being iron would be a very dark metallic grey.

• 2 weeks later...

T-Tango,I got my Roman & Greek a couple of weeks ago ( at $ 22.oo each ) & immediately did the undercutting I usually do on the underside of each of the body armor plates. This is so that they look seperate from one another like the shoulder plates do. It took 4 to 5 hours slow work. I also did it around the shield boss. I did an article on the process on the Airfixtributeforum in the figure section under " 54mm Napoleonics " along with some painting tips. Sorry no photos. I do not have a digital camera, maybe after the first of the year. Carl T :speak_cool:

• 1 month later...