Supermarine S.6B

mikeew

Hi All.

This is my build for the Splash SIG at Telford, bit of a late comer I know, but I wanted to give a token gesture atleast on the debut of the SIG.

Its the basic but sound Frog kit of the S.6B, an aircraft I am sure needs no introduction on these forums. Its better in shape and accuracy than the Airfix offering which is hideous in comparison.

The cross horizontal braces on the floats are purely ficticious and I only added them to help me align everything else. The rear float to fuselage struts affix to the fuselage centreline if built box-stock, again, this is wrong. I drilled holes further out from the centreline to accommodate the struts and filled the resultant gap in the lower fuselage with plasticard.

s6b001.jpg

s6b002.jpg

Once it was all set , i sawed off the cross braces and replaced with steel wire for better scale effect and to give some rigidity to the whole thing.

s6b003.jpg

Once i'd filled and sanded all the joints and seams I sprayed some Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue lightened about 20% with flat white on the areas that needed that colour before maasking it off...

s6b004.jpg

s6b005.jpg

I then added some Light Aircraft Grey as a base for some Aluminium Alclad.

s6b006.jpg

s6b007.jpg

Once unmasked I had something resembling a Supermarine S.6B on the bench...

IMG_0020.jpg

Now I have to see if the Eastern Express decals, who's boxing this is, will behave using klear as decal set.

Mikeew: What a GREAT looking seaplane....That's one sharp build...I have that particular FROG kit in the stash also the 1/48 Testors kit. Your effort is quite the inspiration... :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...