Revell 1/48 Mosquito B.IV

Davec_24

Hi guys,

I'm doing the Revell 1/48 Mossie at the moment, and have question. The canopy framing on the rear end (i.e. aft of the roof escape hatch and side windows area) has only a single bar down the centre of the canopy. While I have seen pictures of Mosquitos which apparently have this canopy frame configuration (like THIS), I have also seen them with more framing at the rear end, so my question is this: is this sparse canopy framing correct for a B.IV, or should there be more framework there?

Thanks guys. :)

Like you, I have one of these beasties on the bench right now and can only deduce that some of the framing shown by others relates to the cage inside the canopy, so the choice really is to mask the canopy inside for the internal stuff and paint it, make a cage and fit it to the cockpit area (the proper way) or claim ignorance and carry on OOB.

Other interesting fact about this kit...A huge fuss was made about the tail on the Tamiya kit being too tall, however the Revell one is the same height (i checked) and no-one has said a "dicky-bird", also the U/C is about 3-4mm too short (this has been mentioned and will be sorted on mine).

Okay anorak back in the cupboard....

Cheers

Col'

Cheers peebeep, that illustrates it well! I think you're right in that the stuff the kit has is where the framing is also present outside the canopy, i.e. where the flat parts with holes for rivets are visible on those pictures. However, the kit makes no attempt to represent the framing inside the canopy, which of course is still quite prominent!

Col, I'd not heard of the inaccuracies with this kit before. We'll see how bad it looks as Revell would have you do it, but may I ask in case I just can't bear it looking wrong after all the work I'm putting in, if you have any ideas regarding the undercarriage length?

Some kits provide the inner framing as thin decal strips to be applied inside the canopy. You could make your own decal or simply paint the transparency. For the undercarriage your best bet would be to 'borrow' some legs from an Airfix or Tamiya kit. IIRC the Revell kit parts do not depict the tubular framework that is part of the door retract mechanism.

peebeep

Hi Dave,

The pic's show exactly what I tried to explain (in a very poor way) and I suspect I'll be attempting to make the framework for the cage from tube and rod....

My ideas for the U/C were to either replace the top section (or the wrong section) of plastic with Ali' tube to get the right height or to source some from another kit, Its possible that the new metal ones from Scale Model Conversions (from A2Zee) may have been corrected but I've not had chance to check with Alistair.

I understand the rudder height can be corrected by removing the whole thing and cutting the requisite amount from the bottom before sticking it back on.

In truth I suspect that both areas can be lived with and it's just rivet counting on my part...perhaps I should get a hobby!

Cheers

Col'