A Few Errors to watch for in new Xtradecal sheet X72104

tonyot

Hello Folks,

I have been researching the colour schemes for a number of different Mediterranean based Commonwealth/RAF aircraft from WW2 and I sent some of my findings along with quite a few previously unpublished photos into Hannants to see if they would be interested in using them in their Xtradecal range! Well 6 months down the line I was quite surprised to discover a new Xtradecal sheet in their new releases section (numbered X72104) which contained quite a few of the ideas I had sent..but unfortunately Hannants and the artist had not liased with me and as a result there are a few mistakes in the sheet which I thought your had better know about...as follows;

-Baltimore Mk.IIIA, FA353/X from 203 Sqn should have a 2 gun Martin turret and not a 4 gun Boulton Paul turret as illustrated.

-Beaufighter NV115/D `Pamelamay' from 16 Sqn SAAF should have the name Doreen applied to the rear fuselage with the code letter D forming the first letter and OREEN in small white letters behind it, leading back from the middle of the `D'.

-Marauder Mk.III, HD625/R of 39 Sqn RAF should have White code letters..not Yellow as depicted in the sheet!!

-Both Marauder options are illustrated with 4 x gun packs attached to the side of the fuselage, two of which are attached on either side below the cockpit.......... but in fact;

-The RAF removed all of these from its Marauders and the SAAF only retained the lower one from each side! (see photos Mar 2-2 for the SAAF Marauder Mk.II decal option V-Viking.......and Mar 5-2 for another SAAF Marauder and note gun packs).

This Xtradecal decal sheet has gone straight to the top of the best sellers list so it must be popular and Hannants are considering releasing another sheet using more of the information supplied which has not been used yet which includes more Baltimores including RAF, RAAF and Greek options all of which have nose art, more SAAF Marauders which also have nose art and more Wellingtons with nose art too. When quizzed about a 1/48th scale version of the initial release David Hannant said that he would seriously consider if there is demand as there are 1/48th scale models available for all of the options.

So if anybody wants some 1/48th decals for Commonwealth Baltimores, Marauders, Bostons, Beaufighters and Wellingtons get in touch with Hannants!!

Hope this helps

All the best

Tony O

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Tony

I had heard about this, a bit of a shambles if you ask me and I do feel sorry for you, really annoying and I also know some more of the background as well. I really hope that you at least got a big thank you at least and mention on the decal sheet instructions and or even a bit of free product. Maybe next time we can get some of your ideas done a little better. I am sure that we will get it all together one day.

catch you Ali

• Like 2

Hi

So for Wellington Mk X HE687 QB-T I suppose everything is OK (Colors, codes...).

Patrick

Hiya Patrick,

Yes the Wimpy should be OK, although there is some controversy regarding the serial, so you`ll just have to make your own mind up!!

All the best

Tony

Where can I find the Marauder photos?

Anders

They are in my personal collection but should be appearing in a forthcoming article in MAM!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Where can I find the Marauder photos?

Anders

Hi Anders,

Have you looked at 39thsquadronmarauders.org.uk ?

Extremely interesting site , listing ALL the Marauder III on 39 Squadron, composition of crews , bomb loads etc.

well worth a look

Cheers

Tel

They are in my personal collection but should be appearing in a forthcoming article in MAM!!

Cheers

Tony

HI Tony better not have any cock-ups in the article then !! I'll have my beady eyes on you !!

:):):):):)

Cheers

Terry

Hi Anders,

Have you looked at 39thsquadronmarauders.org.uk ?

Extremely interesting site , listing ALL the Marauder III on 39 Squadron, composition of crews , bomb loads etc.

well worth a look

Cheers

Tel

Thanks for the URL. I will have a look.

Anders

Hello Folks,

I have been researching the colour schemes for a number of different Mediterranean based Commonwealth/RAF aircraft from WW2 and I sent some of my findings along with quite a few previously unpublished photos into Hannants to see if they would be interested in using them in their Xtradecal range! Well 6 months down the line I was quite surprised to discover a new Xtradecal sheet in their new releases section (numbered X72104) which contained quite a few of the ideas I had sent..but unfortunately Hannants and the artist had not liased with me and as a result there are a few mistakes in the sheet which I thought your had better know about...as follows;

-Baltimore Mk.IIIA, FA353/X from 203 Sqn should have a 2 gun Martin turret and not a 4 gun Boulton Paul turret as illustrated.

-Beaufighter NV115/D `Pamelamay' from 16 Sqn SAAF should have the name Doreen applied to the rear fuselage with the code letter D forming the first letter and OREEN in small white letters behind it, leading back from the middle of the `D'.

-Marauder Mk.III, HD625/R of 39 Sqn RAF should have White code letters..not Yellow as depicted in the sheet!!

-Both Marauder options are illustrated with 4 x gun packs attached to the side of the fuselage, two of which are attached on either side below the cockpit.......... but in fact;

-The RAF removed all of these from its Marauders and the SAAF only retained the lower one from each side! (see photos Mar 2-2 for the SAAF Marauder Mk.II decal option V-Viking.......and Mar 5-2 for another SAAF Marauder and note gun packs).

This Xtradecal decal sheet has gone straight to the top of the best sellers list so it must be popular and Hannants are considering releasing another sheet using more of the information supplied which has not been used yet which includes more Baltimores including RAF, RAAF and Greek options all of which have nose art, more SAAF Marauders which also have nose art and more Wellingtons with nose art too. When quizzed about a 1/48th scale version of the initial release David Hannant said that he would seriously consider if there is demand as there are 1/48th scale models available for all of the options.

So if anybody wants some 1/48th decals for Commonwealth Baltimores, Marauders, Bostons, Beaufighters and Wellingtons get in touch with Hannants!!

Hope this helps

All the best

Tony O

Well Tony .

Going through my Decal Stash , I've already got SAAF Marauder II ,Ventura and Liberator Decals in 48th from Kits at War , plus a whole set of RAF/ RAAF and Dutch Liberator Decals in 72. Also have a set which contains a 55 Sq Baltimore and a set for 464 , 487 Venturas , 39 SQ Marauder and A 14 Sqadron one - Dominion Revenge.

I think Kits at War sheets though not always the MOST accurate often offer some less than the run of the mill options

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Well Tony .

Going through my Decal Stash , I've already got SAAF Marauder II ,Ventura and Liberator Decals in 48th from Kits at War , plus a whole set of RAF/ RAAF and Dutch Liberator Decals in 72. Also have a set which contains a 55 Sq Baltimore and a set for 464 , 487 Venturas , 39 SQ Marauder and A 14 Sqadron one - Dominion Revenge.

I think Kits at War sheets though not always the MOST accurate often offer some less than the run of the mill options

Cheers

Terry McGrady

Hiya Terry,

Don`t want to argue with you or anything mate but where did I say that this was the only sheet offerring `less run of the mill' options? I agree with you about Kits at War but they have not done any of the options I`ve chosen so the new Xtradecal sheet offers even more `diversity' in this respect and as I said it must have proved popular as a week later it is still at the top of Hannants best sellers list...so there must me a market out there somewhere, despite Kits at War covering similar types before now!

My only reason for posting this was to warn other modellers out there about a few faults which have creeped into the sheet and to prevent mistakes such as a Mk.III Baltimore wearing Mk.IIIA markings......thats it!!

Very confused and wondering why I bother sometimes,

Tony O

• Like 1

Hiya Terry,

Don`t want to argue with you or anything mate but where did I say that this was the only sheet offerring `less run of the mill' options? I agree with you about Kits at War but they have not done any of the options I`ve chosen so the new Xtradecal sheet offers even more `diversity' in this respect and as I said it must have proved popular as a week later it is still at the top of Hannants best sellers list...so there must me a market out there somewhere, despite Kits at War covering similar types before now!

My only reason for posting this was to warn other modellers out there about a few faults which have creeped into the sheet and to prevent mistakes such as a Mk.III Baltimore wearing Mk.IIIA markings......thats it!!

Very confused and wondering why I bother sometimes,

Tony O

Wasn't intended to be argumentative , just illustrating other options to Xtradecal , that may have not been apparent to some .

Terry

...-Beaufighter NV115/D `Pamelamay' from 16 Sqn SAAF should have the name Doreen applied to the rear fuselage with the code letter D forming the first letter and OREEN in small white letters behind it, leading back from the middle of the `D'....

Hi Tony

What do you propose to fix?

Patrick

Hi Tony

What do you propose to fix?

Patrick

Hiya Patrick,

You`ll have to use some small Modeldecal or Xtradecal white letters and do it yourself as Mr Hannant said it was too late to change the sheet!!

Cheers

Tony

• 4 months later...

I found this picture:

beau-16sq-peter.jpg

Beaufighter belonged to 16th squadron SAAF. Such ammendments seem to be common practice within 16th squadron SAAF.

I checked Winston Brent's 85 Years of South African Air Force (http://home.global.co.za/~afmil/index_files/Page667.htm). NV115 'D' is not listed among SAAF Beaufighters. Do you have any more info about this plane and it's fate?

I live in southeastern part of Slovenia, where SAAF Beaufighters operated a lot. On February 8th 1945 16th squadron lost two Beaufighters (NV121 'D' and NT998 'W', according to Brent's book) attacking Dobova train station. I am confused about true serial of 'D': NV121 or NV115?

5 days later 19th squadron attacked Zuzemberk, which is also nearby. Steve Stevens' Beaufighter 'K' is among options for my Hasegawa Beaufighter, waiting in stash. I couldn't find serial of this plane so far.

Can anbody help?

Best regards,

Franc

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Hello Tony,

I've just come across your update/correction note and was particularly interested in your comments about Beaufighter NV115/D `Pamelamay' from 16 Sqn SAAF. I am very interested in building the aircraft and wanted to locate any photographs in support of the Build - haven't been too successful on a web search (other than a small photo of the mission markings).

i don't know whether you have ever subsequently published any of your research - so, I'm taking a chance that you might have photos of the aircraft that you might be prepared to share? Or perhaps point me in the direction of...

Many thanks - Mark

• 1 year later...

I’m building the Revell 1/48 Beau and obtained the DK decal set. This shows NV115/D ‘Pamalamay’ with ‘Doreen’ as opposed to just ‘D’. However, I have found a photo on the internet that shows the port side of the a/c with just 'D'! I guess it could have existed in both forms at different points in time, or perhaps ‘Doreen’ on the starboard side and 'D' to port?

Wondering how much more you would have to do to set up a wee side line selling your own decals? TonyO Decals has a bit of a ring to it!

Arabest,

Geoff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1