Could I join in with a Amodel Yak-28PP ?

I've started cleaning up and dry-fitting the parts while Humbrol coats were drying on two other models. I've glued a few things (rear LG well walls, front LG well box) and I didn't paint anything yet. I won't be superdetailing anything or use aftermarket: systematic parts clean-up + detailing would turn into a burden.

Edited by Laurent

A single pic to show the current status of the build.

amodelYak28PPsprues.jpg

You can see that only a few parts have been glued so far. Yesterday I've just sanded the intake and exhaust lips. It's a shame Amodel didn't provide exhaust nozzles :( A good point about the Yak-28PP kit over the Yak-27R kit is that the nose glazing is a single part.

OH MY GOD !!!!

I think I'm suffering from nose-glazing envy ! :yikes:

Your progress to date has already given me some inspiration with my build (I was worried about the unusual fit of the drop-tanks) so I'll be watching your build with a lot of interest.

cheers

mike

I think I'm suffering from nose-glazing envy ! :yikes:

The Yak-27R kit that you are working on isn't available anymore from Amodel. They still have sell a Yak-27R but it has another reference number. Perhaps they retooled the transparencies sprue because of complaints. I should know in a weeks: I've bought one from A-Z Models (Ukraine)

I was worried about the unusual fit of the drop-tanks)

You are worried about the gap between the wing leading edge and the tank ? Don't worry. It's supposed to be there... reference: http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?ARX-009

Edited by Laurent

Just make sure your 28PP stays one step ahead of my 28R - I'm picking up loads of tips :winkgrin:

You're tough on me Mike: I'm also working on a Airfix Bf-109 (Finnish markings, brush painted... a nice careless build) and the Croatian MiG-21 bisD (1/72 Zvezda MiG-21 bis kit)

Edited by Laurent

Hi Mike.

How's your Yak going ?

Going somewhere but not fast. Yeserday I have:

- cut off the front wall of the front wheel well because it was too thick and would have pushed the navigators seat too far at the front

- sanded the base of the fin (along the engraved line) so that there's hope that it could eventually fit the fuselage

- I'm considering how I could add some IPs and blocks inside the navigators office

- snaped in two the window of the navigators hatch; I tried to bend it under hot water because its radius of curvature didn't match the one of the hatch part; since the kit contains the Yak-27R hatch too, I should be able to use that part to repair the Yak-28PP hatch

I'm worried I'm going to overtake you...

It's very likely you will. I'm working on other things too.

Edited by Laurent

• 2 weeks later...

The Bf-109 is finished (I hate Airfix decals: severe case of silvering even though the decals were applied on a glossy surface and MicrolSol was used), the MiG-21's camo is being debugged.

I wanted to clutter the navigator's office with some additional equipment. I'm not detailing (since the hatch will be closed), just adding some things to fill up the place. Because of the fuselage curvature, I didn't want to use plastic card so I've bought a pencil eraser, cut blocks out of it and glued them with a cyano glue.

amodelYak28ppNavigatorOffice.jpg

I hope to repair the hatch today (I broke the window part) and start painting this evening

Edited by Laurent

Because of the fuselage curvature, I didn't want to use plastic card so I've bought a pencil eraser, cut blocks out of it and glued them with a cyano glue.

What a great idea! Works well too!! :thumbsup:

Still can't start my Yak for another week & a half as I have to finish my RAC groupbuild rally car & then another model for my clubs next competition. I'm not actually sure that I'm looking forward to starting it, looking at the work you & Mike are having to put in!!

Keef

Well Comrade Laurent, that's a damn fine idea !

However........ you're lucky not to be spending a week in isolation for not sharing this idea with the workers sooner (especially those of us who have already buttoned up our Yaks !) :bangin:

I'm thinking of putting the brakes on my build and letting you get ahead of me again - I'm pretty sure you have some more good ideas that we can all use. (you naughty little communist)

keep up the good work

mike

However........ you're lucky not to be spending a week in isolation for not sharing this idea with the workers sooner (especially those of us who have already buttoned up our Yaks !) :bangin:

I wasn't sure it was a good idea and I kept forgetting buying the erasers. I'm not sure if it's a good technique for sharp and clean detailing though.

I'm thinking of putting the brakes on my build and letting you get ahead of me again - I'm pretty sure you have some more good ideas that we can all use. (you naughty little communist)

Aha. So I'm the scout in the Po-2 and you'll be cleaning things up in the Il-2 ? I may not have other ideas: I don't want to strain my remaining brain cell too much.

keep up the good work

I'll try but Amodel kits are tough opponents.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay. The MiG is finished (pic 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and I can continue the Yak. The fuselage halves are glued, so is the navigator's hatch... and I've dropped the fuselage on the floor, and the transparent part of the hatch snapped in two pieces. Let's say that a Stalin statue fell on the glass...

• 2 weeks later...

The progress is veeeeerrrrryyyy slow because I cannot work on the model during the day (wife, kids...) and I'm forced to use Humbrol enamels which take time to dry.

Everything looks ugly but not much is to be seen under the, er, so-called 'transparencies'.

amodelYak28ppPilotOffice1.jpg

amodelYak28ppPilotOffice2.jpg

amodelYak28ppNavigatorOffice2.jpg

The seats padding was (very roughly) done with Tamiya epoxy putty.

Edited by Laurent