Which 1/35 Sherman Firefly?

turnerdad

Hi all, I am considering building one of the above, and I know the Tasca offering is supposed to be the best but how much better is it than the Dragon kit (and any others that may exist)? I also read somewhere that Dragon were retooling it, but is that the new kit (with bonusfigures etc) that is readily available over here now? A quick heads up by anyone in the know would be appreciated-after building the 1/48 Tamiya 1C kit and thoroughly enjoying it, I thought I might get to know the machine a little better and build one in 1/35, now I know I enjoy armour modelling (and all the diorama opportunities that exist).

Thanks

Hi all, I am considering building one of the above, and I know the Tasca offering is supposed to be the best but how much better is it than the Dragon kit (and any others that may exist)? I also read somewhere that Dragon were retooling it, but is that the new kit (with bonusfigures etc) that is readily available over here now? A quick heads up by anyone in the know would be appreciated-after building the 1/48 Tamiya 1C kit and thoroughly enjoying it, I thought I might get to know the machine a little better and build one in 1/35, now I know I enjoy armour modelling (and all the diorama opportunities that exist).

Thanks

I bought the Cyber-Hobby "Orange-Box" edition of the DML Firefly Vc from my LHS a few weeks ago, it came with a group of para's talking to a german(?) civilian, I think thats the one your talking about.

Overall its not bad, I asked questions on Missing-Lynx before I spent money, it's the latest DML variation on the Firefly, basically quite accurate with the only real thing to fix being the drive sprockets that seem to be a little high, don't know if I'll bother. The surface detail is a bit hit-and-miss, all the prominent Sherman raised weld seams around the front hull are recessed on the kit, on the other hand the turret is lovely with a neat cast effect, the tracks are individual link each one with 2 seperate end connectors, 3 pieces to each link! About 700 odd parts for them alone but the 'duck-bill' end-connectors are provided for as an alternative.

I don't like the kit gun-barrel and muzzle brake, look a bit skinny and undersized, so I've got a replacement coming from IMA in Hong-Kong, and an Eduard set for the kit to improve on a lot of the external fittings.

I've heard great things about the Tasca kits but in the end they were much to hard to find in the UK. I went for the DML 'cos it was on the shelf.

The Orange-Box line also includes a Firefly Ic Hybrid which it seems is a bit of a mish-mash of other kit sprues in a common box with new instructions and decals, it has the glueable 1 piece tracks.

HTH.

Edited by TheModeller

Thanks for that, I'll look out for the Tasca kit-almost got one at the Hendon show but someone beat me to it by a whisker, and it was £35! Read the PMMS article, but the thought of importing one fills me with woe. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick one up at SMW, otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet...The Dragon kit is still in contention though as I'm sure with the right aftermarket goodies and a little work it'll be just as good.

Tasca every time, but expensive. Also finding one in the UK may be difficult as there is no authorised importer. Expect to pay around £40 if you buy via Ebay. Dragon have improved but not a patch on Tasca.

Tasca every time, but expensive. Also finding one in the UK may be difficult as there is no authorised importer. Expect to pay around £40 if you buy via Ebay. Dragon have improved but not a patch on Tasca.

That's pretty much what Dan said to me when I asked that question. I think the going rate has gone up to around £60, but to paraphrase Dan, you don't need any aftermarket to make it accurate. :) Saying that, I have seen some rather nice resin bogies, which just simplify construction... optional, but nice ;)

I made a start on the Tasca Firefly for the recent D day group build but ran out of steam. Its a teriffic kit - just falls together. I over complicated the build for myself with etched bits. None are really needed, however I did get the resicast suspension bogies. Must get cracking on it again.

Proiblem is i've been bitten by the Tiger bug for ther time being.

firefly3.jpg

I believe that the paras are from Market Garden and the civilian is supposed to be a Dutch resistance fighter supporting the fight at Arnhem. Although he looks more to be a hunter.

Best wishes,

Grant

That's pretty much what Dan said to me when I asked that question. I think the going rate has gone up to around £60, but to paraphrase Dan, you don't need any aftermarket to make it accurate. :) Saying that, I have seen some rather nice resin bogies, which just simplify construction... optional, but nice ;)

I bought the limited edition Tasca Firefly (the one with the turret cheek armour) a few weeks ago via an Ebay seller in South Korea. Arrived in a week and cost just over £40 including shipping!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

sorry to butt in but i will be listing my Tasca Firefly here in the "for sale" section later this afternoon (i already have aircraft for sale there)...it will have resicast deep wading gear as well if that is what people want btw...

shameless plug over...

Nick

PS i have built some of the other Tasca shermans and they are exquisite