My Flanker

I Lied like a NAAFI Watch. It has been ages since my last update This has been for a number of reasons though honest! .

1. I have just upgraded my computer at hum and my dear old "legacy" card reader doesnt now work with it.

2. Work has incosiderately got in the way.

3.SWMBO has had me doing household stuff! how rude!

anyhow. ther is only a little progress since the last time.

Firstly the cockpit and IRST sensor has been added. Unfortunately during thhis process of bending flexing and sanding, I bost the very small cable trunking from the irst. in an effort to catch the falling piece, I lost it to the carpet monster which takes some doing cos Ive got Laminate floor.

Scratchbuilding here we come.

DSC_4518.jpg

DSC_4497.jpg

Secondly Iv'e chucked a bit of added detail into the main wheel wells, mainly to clutter it up rather than present a fully accurate representation as the beast will be spending its life on its legs.. Lazy I guess

DSC_4500.jpg

DSC_4501.jpg

Tail verticals are now firmly in place

DSC_4499.jpg

Now, the Flanker when at rest, sits with the stabilators drooped, I.e not horizontal. The pivot point in the kit is completely wrong. In fact, its not so much of a pivot point as a fixing point to depict the stabs as level.

To combat this I have re located the "pivot point" forward and replaced it with a brass rod which is in fact stronger than the original. The actual pivot point on the 1:1 is rear of this but there is no "meat" rear of where it is at the moment. The location chosen actually works ok.

DSC_4513.jpg

the original point can be seen under the green filler. ( I havnt rubbed it down yet!)

DSC_4514.jpg

I have added some eduard parts to the gear doors and fitted them ready for painting.

DSC_4516.jpg

Likewise I have added the wing pylons. I am aware they are the wrong shape and that Zacto (Chris) does some wonderful resin replacements but I'm skint at the mo besides, this beast will be wearing some of his resin missiles which will cost around the £60. mark where do you draw the line?

DSC_4517.jpg

DSC_4519.jpg

Last but not least, iv'e had a play with the engine colours using some of Citadels "tin Bitz" metallic and drybrushing / washing. My photography aint that good but Its ok in reality.

DSC_4512.jpg

Heavilly weather paintwork next

Promise not to be so lax for the next one for all those interested!

• 2 weeks later...

Time is now running out fast for this build, Over the Chritmas period, there was a "keep the Dining room table clear" truce in the Pharty Household. Im afraid to say this has well and truly been broken as of yesterday. A UN Peace keping force is on its way but the Flanker factory continus to produce.

5 Hours to put add the outstanding probes and aerials, vortex generators and dilectric panels 5 hours! and what do i have to show for it? a sore ear and a few bits of plastic / pe sticking out here and there!

DSC_4524.jpg

DSC_4523.jpg

DSC_4522.jpg

DSC_4521.jpg

That having been done, now onto the exciting part, painting. As previously mentioned, as this is an original B model I want to depict it as well worn and weathered. |To that end This is what im aiming for. (copyright Airliners.net)

1103584.jpg

So In order to make a start I have applied an undercoat / primer coat of silver which will represent the natural metallic colour of the airframe.

DSC_4527.jpg

Next step a little salt masking and the overall light blue.

BTW the silver is Revell 90 and it went on really well

Edited by Phartycr0c

WHAT? two updates in one day?? What on earth is going on?

Since the last update i have now started applying the top colour following a little light grey pre shading I am hoping to god that this salt weathering turns out convincing otherwise im really going to cock this beastie up!

DSC_4531.jpg

DSC_4530.jpg

DSC_4532.jpg

DSC_4533.jpg

Remaining blues/ greys tomorrow!

And another, after todays freehand paint shooting session.

Iv'e deliberately made the paintwork look patchy although Im seriously going to have to put some thought into fading the dark blue.

DSC_4550.jpg

Note the chromate green on the lerx leading edge

DSC_4551.jpg

I must resist the urge to uncover the canopy masking and the salt masking!!!!!

Next up the engine metals

Hi all back in the new year with a Flanker update.

Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year Following on from the last update, she is completely out the paintshop in terms of colours, I have added the green nose and dilectric panels although In my eagerness to crack on with the metals, I started masking. Each one of the flare dispensers was separately masked.

In order to get a smooth surface for the metals, I sprayed the lot with a protective coat of klear masked then sprayed the metals.

I "pre shaded " with Humbrol 27003 Polished steel along the panel lines simply to add a bit of depth. secondly I sprayed Humbrol 27002 Titanium over the engine panels. I think however titnaium is a bit bright, however I will be washing and staining the engines over completely

I ultimately sprayed a duller coat of Humbrol 56 on the central panel to add contrast.

This is where I am at the mo

DSC_4553.jpg

DSC_4552.jpg

At the same time I did the gun bay panel again attempting to obtain a little contrast.

DSC_4554.jpg

The burner cans copped for a coat of polished steel and 56 aluminium.

DSC_4555.jpg

For those that don't know the Humbrol metalcote series responds to a polish once dry which really brings out the metallic finish. I was really pleased with how they went on, although I havn't started to polish any of it yet with the exception of part of the burner cans ( right one in the picture which may or may not show the effect I cant tell prior to posting)

Now for unmasking to see what Im left with Just hoping I havn'T any overspray anywhere as metallics are a pain in the bottom once on.

Update following mask removal.

Edited by Phartycr0c

Cheers bud. After some trepidation I have removed the masking, polished and added a small amount of blue colour to the tops of the panels.

This is what I have.

DSC_4556.jpg

DSC_4557.jpg

Note the flare dispensers, each one separately masked :blink:

Im chuffed with the results to be honest!

Some overall shots

DSC_4558.jpg

DSC_4559.jpg

DSC_4560.jpg

Next up! Decalling YAY!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys thanks for all the positive comments.

Work is progressing albeit slowly with decalling. I thought that a 117 picture post of each decal as it is being set wouldn't be appreciated. suffice to say the Linden Hill stencil sheet is shal we say, extremely complete.

I will ultimately have to give some serious thought to how to fade the bright decals although i have deployed the "faded" red stars already. Pictures to follow.

Anyhow, to my question.

I previously sais that I was going to hold off on the armament and ultimately purchase some of Zacto's weaponry, BUT thanks to Phatness (Al) ive now got a few tasty ground attack options in the form of rocket pods and unguided rockets. I Think im going with this option as is not depicted very often (if at all)

Has anyone got the construction notes and painting plans from the Trumpeter 1/32 Russian weapons set that could be scanned or could someone point me in the right direction?

Secondly has anyone got any of the Russian gp 250 bombs or in fact the weapons set they dont want? Im looking to make this boy summat different!

Ta in anticipation.

in 1/32 even the iddy biddy stencils are the size of postage stamps! so what's takin' so long? :wicked:

look forward to the piccies! :bounce:

Believe you me the Linden Hill sheet is a work of art. There are stencils on there that get lost on the end of a cocktail stick!

Nearly there though.

i wanted to use ground attack weapons on mine too, but i found the trumpeter weapons set rocket pods to be almost unusable they fitted so poorly.

these WILL fit I'll mek em!

Ok, bowing to the intense pressure..... :violin: herewith is a cheeky update. I havnt finished the decalling, but im not far off, few more to go.

Three intense evenings and a whole dat to get this far and to add insult to injury some of em can hardly be seen when on the plane. anyhow here goes.

DSC_4568.jpg

DSC_4569.jpg

DSC_4573.jpg

DSC_4572.jpg

DSC_4570.jpg

DSC_4571.jpg

Left to do list... Finish decalling protective future coat, weathering, final coat, gear on, weapons pylons, weapons. Phew!

Im going for the ground attack although if I ultimately don't get an armament on I'm claiming a finish ok? :hobbyhorse:

Edited by Phartycr0c

Folks the wheels come off! quite literally!

Iv'e finally finished the decalling marathon and dropped on a protective coat of Klear ready for weathering, just in case I ruin the paintwork. I'll be using thinned enamels to weather.....Heavilly!

I started to add outstanding bits and bobs, and removed the "covers " from the canopy and IRST housing.

Then made a start on the undercarriage, adding the front and port main gears. Having "CA'd" them I rested the aircraft down on its own two feet, to set for the night, then BANG, the front suspension pivot gave way. The kit parts are clearly insufficient in strength to support such a big bird. A little after the event research has revealed this as a problem all over.

Anyhow, here is where I am now prior to repair.

DSC_4576.jpg

DSC_4575.jpg

DSC_4577.jpg

DSC_4578.jpg

DSC_4579.jpg

A little detail painting to go. Oh and a rather large repair!

And there was me thinking I was nearly finished.

Edited by Phartycr0c