TU-22 Blinder

Ooh! nice one. Are you going to correct any of the faults, or just go for it? Having seen Steboses it looks pretty nice OOB anyway.

richc

I'm going to leave the faults and build it OOB, due to my lack of skills. (Moving the engines closer together sounds bloomin difficult to me!)

I've made a surprising amount of progress while BM has been down, well it surprised me anyway!

Blinder4.jpg

And a close up of the cockpit area

Blinder3-1.jpg

More sanding and filling to do, especially where I have just attached the wings.

• 1 month later...

Great start Paul, ...as I've said many times it's a great kit OOB, but as it happens to be my fave all time Soviet jet, and I've researched the thing to death I really can't overlook all the glaring inaccuracies,........ just me being a rivet counter.. :hobbyhorse: , !!

Looking good, nice to see these built at all !

Melchie

Why is almost all Russian hardware just so cooooooool??!!

Great looking jet, looking forward to seeing how she turns out!

Keef

I know, huh?

Now that Trumpy will be coming out with one, the ESCIERTLREVELLITALERI one might make its way into the stash.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I know this is off-topic, but I'm watching this group build and wondering: is anyone going to build Trumpy's Tu-160? It's a smashing kit, and would be a lovely addition I feel! Just a thought! (I would do it my self but I am lacking in time, cost and skill!)

Great start Paul, ...as I've said many times it's a great kit OOB, but as it happens to be my fave all time Soviet jet, and I've researched the thing to death I really can't overlook all the glaring inaccuracies,........ just me being a rivet counter.. :hobbyhorse: , !!

Looking good, nice to see these built at all !

Melchie

THe ONE Russki jet/thing I really want is a Bear.

Do you have one? is it any good?

Is it bigger than your house?

THe ONE Russki jet/thing I really want is a Bear.

Do you have one? is it any good?

Is it bigger than your house?

Mental

I have a Trumpy 1/72 Tu-95 MS Bear kit and I have to say, other than the props which arent overly accurate (Cooper Details makes superb replacements) the kit is wonderful. It is on my to build list someday as is the Tu-160 sitting on the shelf next to it!

I hope to get paint on my Trumpy Tu-22M2 over the holidays if I am lucky.

BTW, staying on topic, that Blinder kit is looking very nice. I need to add one to my stash of Russki bombers!

Coming along nicely Paul,

My beastie will be re started in the new year, hopefully finished in time for Milton Keynes. As has been said it looks perfectly OK as done OOB, the only thing is it's all over the place accuracy wise, so I've just gone down the major surgery route, creating a nightmare in the process, can't even begin to list the modifications so far !! just hope Trumpeter or better still Amodel pull their finger out and release a decent one soon......

So far it looks like this,

P1060350.jpg

P1060353.jpg

As regards the Bear, like Mike says it's a great kit, only problem other than the props is that the leading edge of the wings is the wrong shape when held up next to plans, but then it's Trumpeter isn't it!! Amodels is better but pricey....having said that I've just got me one of these, and so far it looks really nice and for a change accurate( save for the shape of the bottom of the windscreen and strange lack of movable inboard flaps)..added with the new Neo-mega seats and Equipage wheels it looks the business.

P1070222-1.jpg

Anyway, sorry, don't mean to highjack thread and I'm most definitely look forward to your build, nice to see more Blinders about... :speak_cool:

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Thanks for that Paul,honestly it's not that difficult in fact I'm going to post the build in the near future and I'll list all the problem areas of the kit and show how to rectify the biggest errorsif anyones interested. Not going into too much detail the major problems are with the fuselage length, (which is too short by a whopping 1 1/2 inches and the wing length and chord, which is 1 inch too short with the chord being way too wide). The engines are all over the shop. Easily sorted problems include the wing fences which are far too small height wise and the tailplanes which are too far forward. Basically the kit looks like a Blinder when built and that's good enough for most folks, quite rightly, trouble is it's my favourite Soviet heavy and so in my eyes the huge amount of work involved is all worth it, :suicide: ............just watch , I'll finish it and Trumpeter will go and release one!!

Cheers now,

Melchie...

• 3 weeks later...

10 days to go :frantic:

She's ready to be painted at the weekend

Blinder2-1.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on the NMF?

Revell suggest that there are large white patches under the nose, fuselages sides and engine cowls. In pics I can only make out battered aluminium, any ideas?

Paul the white patches are to aid heat dissipation and hopefully the shots below show where they all go. In service these got very dirty quickly, especially around the engines. The airframe was painted with an aluminium paint but various panels were left bare metal. Again in service they got worn and discoloured very quickly due to heat friction and airflow, (not to mention leaking fluids). lI'll be using various Alclads for mine, a lot of duralumin, dull aluminium and airframe aluminium........... the white very quickly dulled to matt especially around the nose,

Cheers, hope this helps, anything else you want to know about this beastie just ask.... :winkgrin:

1240764.jpg

The second aircraft along doesn't have the white applied to the engines due to the fact that it is a TU-22U trainer variant. These were painted aluminium overall...

0732779.jpg

This is a great scheme and the one I might well do when the new Authentic Decals Blinder sheet is released....

1286952.jpg

View underneath, showing the white areas well ..... the fuselage spine was painted white to keep the avionics packs cool.

bottom.jpg

Edited by general melchett