The all new Airfix 1/72 Red Arrow Hawk

falcon

Has anyone built one of these yet?

I currently have 3 of them and have made a start on one. Just wanting to see what you guys make of this kit.

Edited by falcon

I'm building several (T.Mk1 and Mk.100) at the moment for an IPMS Mag article.

Similar amount of filler as Falke Eins in all the same places I'm afraid.

Seats are way too skinny, suggest replacing them or cutting the rails off and gluing some 40 thou card to the back.

Still it goes together nicely enough and really looks the part when finished.

Cheers,

Rob M.

well to date I have made (looks at shelf...) 7, and have 5 more in the pending pile. So far I agree the seats are a bit on the thin side, but I also believe the main inner undercarriage doors are the wrong shape, and too small. The outer ones attached to the legs are also not large enough, and I think there is a small door missing from behind the nosewheel bay. The tail pipe is not wide enough, and I have found the canopy to be a tad too wide on each of them. BUT other than that I like it. I make 2 at once and once the airframe is put together the only filler I use is on the underside wing/fuselage joints and the lower fuse joint foreward of the wings. The intake to fuse joints I just rub down and they are fine.

I am not going for extreme accuracy, more the colour schemes, and it is very nice to have a kit that goes together quite quickly. The wing fences and red arrows smoke pod are a welcome addition, and alas I fear my stash of original Airfix Hawks will remain in their boxes now..

Incidentally, I ordered more from Airfix and they only had 2 in stock! It wasn't me, folks..I didn't pinch ALL of them :)

This is the all new Airfix 1/72 Hawk T.1 (Red Arrows boxing).Here are a few pics of progress so far.

DSCF0305.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

DSCF0312.jpg

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0327.jpg

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0330.jpg

DSCF0331.jpg

I am using the gun pack and pylons from the Italeri/Revell Hawk kit (as this kit doesn't come with weapons or pylons).

Problems encountered so far include.......

Rear instrument panel required cutting down to get the combing to fit.

Rear cockpit bulkhead required cutting down to get the fuselage panel to fit.

Jet pipe required boaring out as it is far too narrow.

Lack of demarkation for the white stripe on the canopy.

Cheers for that. I should be able to correct the stripe before removing all the masking tape on the canopy. On this one it will have to be external, but the future builds will be painted onto the blast screen between the cockpits. Incidently, the blast screen between the front and rear cockpit is also a poor fit. I may have to scratch some new ones on future builds.

The "white demarcation line" is the outside edge of the internal blast screen between the two cockpits and is not part of the cockpit frame.

Nice stash BTW.

Nice build Falcon! :speak_cool:

As for the blast screen edge, according to Arthur Reed's book, BAe Hawk, "The [canopy] shell is formed of three pieces, forward and rear sections being made of acrylic and the centre of terylene/acrylic laminate which acts as a joint between them, and also as the attachment of the rear windscreen [the blast screen]. Each shell is separately heat-moulded, as is the centre section. The three parts are then trimmed and bonded, and terylene laminate edge-reinforcing members are fitted."

So, to cut a long story short, it seems to me that the off-white stripe on a Hawk canopy should be on the outside but its only a terylene strip so doesn't sit much above the surface of the transparency. A decal strip would do it but it seems a moulded frame would be too thick. S'funny. Airfix didn't have a moulded line on their old Hawk but they do on the new ones. I guess the line does make assembly quite a bit easier.

These pictures from Sky-Flash.com shows it well.

sky-flashcom_reds_ground2004_13.jpg

sky-flashcom_reds_ground2004_16.jpg

I'm in the middle of a building a batch of Hawk T1s from the old Airfix kit and placing the blast screen accurately is a fun job with that one! :banghead: Jonathan Mock's tip on using Tamiya tape on the edge of the blast screen really helps though. Thanks Jonathan.

Phil.

Nice build Falcon! :speak_cool:

As for the blast screen edge, according to Arthur Reed's book, BAe Hawk, "The [canopy] shell is formed of three pieces, forward and rear sections being made of acrylic and the centre of terylene/acrylic laminate which acts as a joint between them, and also as the attachment of the rear windscreen [the blast screen]. Each shell is separately heat-moulded, as is the centre section. The three parts are then trimmed and bonded, and terylene laminate edge-reinforcing members are fitted."

So, to cut a long story short, it seems to me that the off-white stripe on a Hawk canopy should be on the outside but its only a terylene strip so doesn't sit much above the surface of the transparency. A decal strip would do it but it seems a moulded frame would be too thick. S'funny. Airfix didn't have a moulded line on their old Hawk but they do on the new ones. I guess the line does make assembly quite a bit easier.

These pictures from Sky-Flash.com shows it well.

sky-flashcom_reds_ground2004_13.jpg

sky-flashcom_reds_ground2004_16.jpg

I'm in the middle of a building a batch of Hawk T1s from the old Airfix kit and placing the blast screen accurately is a fun job with that one! :banghead: Jonathan Mock's tip on using Tamiya tape on the edge of the blast screen really helps though. Thanks Jonathan.

Phil.

Cheers for those pics. I think I will continue to do the strips on the outside afterall then. Going to continue this build after Telford as I need to pick up a decal sheet or 2.

I have finally got round to resurrecting a stalled build of a 43 Squadron RAF Phantom FG.1 that got shelved after the decals beggered up.

So far I have stripped off the old ones and repainted it. Lets hope this time it goes ok.

• 2 weeks later...
well to date I have made (looks at shelf...) 7, and have 5 more in the pending pile. So far I agree the seats are a bit on the thin side, but I also believe the main inner undercarriage doors are the wrong shape, and too small. The outer ones attached to the legs are also not large enough, and I think there is a small door missing from behind the nosewheel bay. The tail pipe is not wide enough, and I have found the canopy to be a tad too wide on each of them. BUT other than that I like it. I make 2 at once and once the airframe is put together the only filler I use is on the underside wing/fuselage joints and the lower fuse joint foreward of the wings. The intake to fuse joints I just rub down and they are fine.

I am not going for extreme accuracy, more the colour schemes, and it is very nice to have a kit that goes together quite quickly. The wing fences and red arrows smoke pod are a welcome addition, and alas I fear my stash of original Airfix Hawks will remain in their boxes now..

Incidentally, I ordered more from Airfix and they only had 2 in stock! It wasn't me, folks..I didn't pinch ALL of them :)

I agree with you and also the shape of the glass between the student and his instructor ha s a wrong shape .The decals for the cockpit are out of scale, wrong and no throttle is present . Airfix (Trumpy ?) forgot the parts in front of the leading edges which are present on the Italeri kit, and forgot also to mould the position lights .So far, it's a nice kit, with petite recessed panel lines better than Italeri but the italian kit is better as far as the details are concerned and that you already mentioned .

I won't do a Red Arrow Hawk, mine will be a ROYAL NAVY plane gloss black with white wing tips, I found the decals in a MODELART sheet.

Show us some pictures when you're done with yours !

Regards,

Pierre

I agree with you and also the shape of the glass between the student and his instructor ha s a wrong shape .The decals for the cockpit are out of scale, wrong and no throttle is present . Airfix (Trumpy ?) forgot the parts in front of the leading edges which are present on the Italeri kit, and forgot also to mould the position lights .So far, it's a nice kit, with petite recessed panel lines better than Italeri but the italian kit is better as far as the details are concerned and that you already mentioned .

I won't do a Red Arrow Hawk, mine will be a ROYAL NAVY plane gloss black with white wing tips, I found the decals in a MODELART sheet.

Show us some pictures when you're done with yours !

Regards,

Pierre

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38518

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37835

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37333

I have done two more since, the last being an ASTRA one, but I have run out of stencils so I may wait til it is properly finished before posting more pics :) Next one may well be a black any one, but I do intend to do all the Red Arrows ones, past and present. Justhaving a break from them at the moment as Christmas approaches and work enchroaches!