John's HobbyBoss 1/48th scale T-34/85

This will be my first entry for the group build.

Building armour is a rare thing for me. I built most of the Airfix and Matchbox 1/76th scale kits in the 1970s and a few of the very nice ESCI kits when they became widely available, but in over 40 years of kitbashing I’ve never built a 1/32nd or 1/35th tank! I’ve done a couple of soft-skins and guns, but the largest scale tank I’ve ever put together was the ancient Revell 1/40th T-34 – remember that? I do have a couple of Airfix 1/32 Grants in the pile though!

I did build a few of the original Tamiya 1/48th scale motorised tanks years ago and some of the Aurora 1/48th scale kits when Woolworths started stocking them in early 1970s. I also remember building a couple of armoured cars with clockwork motors, Eidai perhaps?

So, all in all, I’m not an armour modeller, but I do like the T-34. It’s an iconic design. I prefer the 85 to the 76, because it looks much more imposing, so when I got a look in the box of the HobbyBoss kit at Christmastime last year, I was hooked!

Photos and in-box thoughts to follow.

John

There's no doubt that the HobbyBoss T-34s are fantastic kits and incredible value for money. I bought this one at ScotModel 2008 in December 2008 for £8, which has to be the bargain of the year:

t342.jpg

Inside the box the sprues are all bagged with the hull separately packaged in a cardboard sleeve, HobbyBoss know how to do packaging:

t343.jpg

There is a colour painting guide for one vehicle:

t346.jpg

and a small decal sheet which is presumably included in both T-34 boxings:

t344.jpg

The instructions are clear and well laid out:

t345.jpg

All in all a superb package. However on examining the instructions it quickly becomes clear that more colour references will be needed for the comprehensive interior, so I bought the Osprey on modelling the T-34/76 for inspiration:

T341.jpg

and I've accessed numerous websites, particularly builds of the Trumpeter 1/16th kit which are goldmines of information.

Roll on the 17th!

John

Edited by John

Hi John

certainly an iconic piece of equipment

look forward to seeing the pics :D

I've been playing with my boy's new Vivitar digital camera today and I'm not too sure of it so far, so I think I'll replace the photos I've already taken with new ones from my trusty Kodak!

John

Comrades, the day has dawned and I fell on the kit like a decadent capitalist child on his decadent capitalist Christmas presents. One thing you notice is that the unit represented in the kit's markings is obviously a state secret, since there are no details on the instruction sheet. However the Committee for State Security and the State Commissar for the Production of Small Scale Historical Miniatures has authorised me to say that the vehicle is representative of the 4th Guards Tank Brigade, 2nd Guards Tank Corps in Byelorussia in 1944. I could tell you how I know but I'd have to shoot you.

The kit features "link and length" tracks which I've never even seen before, far less built. The running dog Chinese manufacturers have managed to get ejector pin marks in many of the treads, so the first job will be to fill these.

Spaceba bolshoi!

John: Great choice for the GB..! Wouldn't be right w/o a T-34/85. Yes I remeber the Revell T-34/85. Here is a pic of the 1960's box art...somewhat inspiring for the ground attack phase of the Red Star GB.

Collective Cheers,

ggc

P3260001RevellT-34140scale.jpg

That takes me back!

My T-34 came is a box that was more or less square and had the text in Cyrillic and English script. That must have been some time in the very early 1970s. It had a couple of soldiers as well, if my memory isn't letting me down.

John

The first job of work is to get the hull halves out of their protective cardboard sleeve and give them a good once-over. The standard of moulding is very high with the upper hull in particular showing some nice detail:

t347.jpg

The inside has some ejector marks that need to be filled or chiseled off:

t348.jpg

but nothing insurmountable.

There are 6 pins which hold the upper and lower hull halves together, so I'm wondering if they can be left as a press fit to show of the interior.

John

All the interior surfaces were given a coat of Humbrol 28 to act as a primer, followed by several thin brushed coats of 34 Matt White:

t349.jpg

t348-1.jpg

The hull parts fit beautifully between the living room radiator panels, ideal for quick-drying the paint! I think one more coat should do it, then it's on to the engine.

John

I'ts Sovietski armour...!! It can take the heat-ski....

radiator cheers, :hobbyhorse:

ggc

ARRGHHH!

please don't do that then forget and turn up the central heating :frantic:

I would NEVER be so careless as to melt plastic when drying the paint :innocent:

Who mentioned the hairdryer :fight:

It's unlikely that these radiators would ever get hot enough to seriously compromise plastic of this thickness, and it does cure enamel nice and quickly!

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still working away doggedly on this remarkable little kit but the amount of detail means there's no way I'll be finishing it by the deadline. I'll open a thread in the armour section to keep a record of the build.

It's been fun!

John