Your Top 5 Cold War Aircraft worldwide use

AnonymousER99

OK

We had the top 5 RAF Cold War Aircrat. Now lets make it more interesting. Lets see your top 5 from around the globe

Here are mine

1. SR-71 Blackbird

2. F-15C Eagle

3. Mig-25 Foxbat

4. TU-95 Bear

5. B-52 Stratofortress

There are so many more but I look at these as the most influencial IMHO. :)

MIG 21MF

Phantom FGR2

EE Lightning

MIG 29

Got to be the F14 Tomcat!! Schoolboys dream!

Adam

what about the hustler!

If going on sexy looks only and non RAF so I can't say Victor and Vulcan or Hunter

1 Hustler

2 Vigilante

3 Early Mig 21

4 XB 70 Valkyrie

5 Tu 22 Blinder

1st sub off the bench - B47 Stratojet

2nd sub F104 Starfighter

ah nostalgia ain't what it used to be

:D

John T

Edited by JohnT

In no particular order and for no good reason other than there's a fair amount of colour schemes between them...

Mirage III/5

MiG 21 - any version

F100 Super Sabre

F104 Starfighter

SAAB Draken

Wez

Edited by Wez

EE lightning

F4

Thud

Starfighter

Vulcan

and hunter

Its funny you bring up the Hunter Tony. I was never really a fan of the jet until I saw the one down at the Pima Air museum. Graceful lines and really, much smaller, than I had thought it was. It is growing on me :)

Its funny you bring up the Hunter Tony. I was never really a fan of the jet until I saw the one down at the Pima Air museum. Graceful lines and really, much smaller, than I had thought it was. It is growing on me :)

It was a gracefull jet that sort of moulded around the pilot, one of the last true sleek fighters, devoid of size and humps and bumps...

well if you look in the new addition to the walkround section there are some nice hi res close ups of the intake blanks........would look nice in revells 1/32 ;)

Dear All,

Top 5, world wise, Cold War use...based upon tonnage of bombs delivered, numbers of aircraft, number of nations that ordered and flew them...... and significance of actions.

Obvious.....

Number one, F 100 Super Sabre

Number two, F 4 Phantom

Number three, F 16

Number four, Mirage III/V/Kfir family

Number five, F 86

Although I would debate number five....

and if you really wanted to go for it,

1, F100

2, F 4

3, F 16

4, F 86

5, F 84

...and I am not a fan of USA power, but you cannot deny the influence they have had.... Right or wrong.

Thought provoking question.....

Colin

If you really thought about 'significance' of the aircraft in the Cold war era, then C 130 would probably be number 1........

Edited by Colin S-K

In no particular order:

1. C-54. Backbone of the Berlin airlift, which was - arguably - the first significant employment of air power in the Cold War. Certainly in [jargon alert] doctrinal terms, it remains perhaps the best case of air power for strategic effect seen since 1945, if not of all time [/jargon alert].

2. Canberra. In terms of sheer numbers and longevity of service. B-52 is only just catching up in terms of the length of time the aircraft was in use with the air force of the country from which the airframe originated.

3. S-55/Westland Whirlwind. First helicopter to make a real difference in low intensity warfare, proving the importance of the support helicopter to military operations in Korea (as H-19) and Malaya.

4. And if we mention the S-55, then we can't ignore the UH-1. Numbers, significance (both in terms of part played in Vietnam and elsewhere and as an icon of the Vietnam war), longevity - scores on all counts

5. This gets difficult now, since I have one spot left, and haven't yet mentioned

• The F-4 (Vietnam, Arab-Israeli conflict, Wild Weaseling in Iraq, backbone of the USN and USAF, essential to the IDF/AF, not exactly unimportant to the RAF and RN, significant for the Luftwaffe, and still going strong with the Greek and Turkish AFs)
  • The SR-71 (the technical achievement, the significance of its recce product, the world records)
  • The MiG-21 (not the most capable aircraft out there, but a hell of a lot of them, and performed well in the right hands; still going)
  • The Saab Draken (for the sheer 'how the hell have they managed that with their budget?' aspect)
  • The T-37 (remind me how many pilots it's trained again??)
  • The C-135 family.

Mmmm... :hmmm:

I think the C-135 family wins the final spot (remember in no particular order) for sheer all round versatility, longevity and the fact that for a long while there was the chance that it'd be the aircraft from which the order to leave the world without the need for streetlights for the next 14,000 years would've been delivered.

[*] The SR-71 (the technical achievement, the significance of its recce product, the world records)

Not to mention the absolute fear it instilled in the Soviet upper echelon. They developed aircraft AND SAM's to counteract the Blackbird. To me, sorry Jennings, no other aircraft in the cold war had more significance.