Finnish Hurricane's: fabric or metal-wingers ?

Erwin

Hi all,

I have Finnish leftover decals from the 1/48 th Classic Airframes fabricwing Hurricane kit (with Belgian decals).

I found profiles of the plane with those markings in the Finnish camouflage of 1942.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/79/78/0/4

Was this Mk1's still the fabricwinger or the metal one ?

Edited by Erwin

Hi Erwin, had a quick look through my Hurricane references and it would appear that the 12 Hurricane Mk I's supplied to Finland came from existing RAF stocks, so I should imagine that they were metal winged by this date. But who knows, I can only find photos of a couple of them and they do not show the wing type, have to wait for an expert !

Cheers

Den

The 12 Hurricanes supplied to Finland were from the first batch built by Gloster. This company started building Hurricanes from October 1939, whereas the metal wing was introduced in April 1939. What I can't find out is when the fabric wing ended production, as there may have been some overlap, but it's unlikely that a new manufacturer would have started making the obsolete wing.

Incidentally, HC-452 survives in Finland, and still wears camouflage applied in 1942/3. There are a few images online, which appear to show the metal wing,

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe

there were definately a few of the Hurricanes supplied with fabric outer wings fitted, theres not too much in the references tho as to which ones and when they were swapped with metal as attrition avaliability allowed.

A Finnish colleague has compiled a cross reference as to serial and wing type re the aircraft as delivered, ill check and see what i can get posted on here!

One snippet tho is if the inboard fabric panel at the wing root was stil there or reskinned in metal by Gloster when refurbishing the aircraft? (my thinking is the area would have been reskinned) another is that the Finn's did look at possibly reskinning the fabric examples themselves but due to the avaliability of metal wings from damaged or undergoing servicing examples there was no need to proceed!

cheers, Joe

PS. HC-452 definately has the standard metal wing fitted, altho as mentioned above, the inboard panel which may have been fabric covered on the original airframe as delivered to the RAF. does appear to be attatched using a different technique to that of the other skins? again possibly a sign of the Gloster refurbishment?

Edited by Tsrjoe

Hello!

This question has been asked before at other forums. A colleague has made archive research on the FinnAF Hurricanes (too) and there were both fabric and metal winged here. He provided a list of all the indivduals, IIRC only one or two had unknown wing covering material. I do remember that one FinnAF Mk I got later Mk II metal wings installed. One of the fabric wing Hurricanes crashed because the fabric covering failed inflight.

Unfortunately don't have the FinnAf Hurricane list handy here and I have too much to do for next few days to response. Perhaps Tsrjoe is able to provide the info? I guess the source is the same.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio

Here we are... " of Finnish a/c only HC 451,455,456 and 462 had fabric wings" p 7 suomen 25 Hurricane

I think they all had the early straight aerial mast and most had the flat bottomed armoured windscreen that wasnt faired in like the very earliest Hurris, so a mixed picture of early modifications

Edited by drdave
  • Thanks 1

Kari's info on the Hurricanes:

Based on the information I have, it appears the 12 Hurricanes received by the Finns were all Rag Wings (remember they had a metal leading edge). Also it appears that many of them were originally intended for the Polish AF.

They arrived in Finland Feb/march 1940. By 1941 only 9 were in service and in 1942 it was 6, and remained at that level until 1945.

A Mk. IIA was captured in April '44.

Here is the serial list and original HU serial number:

L2048 - HU450

N2322 - HU451

N2323 - HU452

N2324 - HU453

N2327 - HU454

N2347 - HU455

N2348 - HU456

N2358 - HU457

N2392 - HU458

N2393 - HU459

N2394 - HU460

N2395 - HU461.

All were from the second production batch from Hawker.

So it would appear that the Hasegwa kit is incorrect as that kit is a metal wing Mk. I

Kari Lumppio

YES

Tue Apr 8 16:31:24 2003

Hi!

Yes, according the Finnish sources I count as reliable there was both fabric and metal covered wings in FinnAF Hurricanes.

For sure fabric covered wing were in HC-451, -454, -455 & -456. HC-455 was destroyed July 30, 1942 when fabric covering of left wing was teared off during take-off. The Hurricanes then left with fabric covered wings (=HC-454 &-456) were called in for inspections. InScale Hurricane decal instructions also point that HC-458 possibly had fabric covered wing. It was shot down already in Sep 1941 (before HC-455 accident).

Question marks (for me at least) are HC-453,-457,-459 & HU-461 &-462. The last two never arrived in Finland; HU-462 was destroyed in Norway during transfer flight and HU-461 was left in Scotland (l/g failure during landing at Wick).

HC-452 and -460 had metal covered wing.

BTW The Mk IIA (HC-465) was captured already in Feb 1942, but the rebuilding took long and the plane was taken use as late as April 1944 and not used much. Mainly flew target flights for AAA.

HTH

Kari

Hello!

Information from "mr. InScale" (the decal maker):

Hurricane (first HU-, later changed HC-) wings:

451 - fabric

452 - metal

453 - probably metal?

454 - fabric, later may have got metal, but not likely

455 - fabric

456 - fabric, around 1943 got metal wing (Mk II wing?)

457 - ??? not known

458 - possibly fabric?

459 - ??? not known

460 - metal

461 - ??? was left in Wick, Scotland

462 - fabric, crashed in Stavanger Norway during transfer flight

465 was captured Mk II with metal wings.

Hope this helps,

Kari

• Like 1

Some great information has surfaced thanks to your question Erwin, all in the memory bank now !

Thanks to all contributors, a very fascinating subject.

Cheers

Den

For sure fabric covered wing were in HC-451

Hurricane (first HU-, later changed HC-) wings:

451 - fabric

Hope this helps,

Kari

The info helps. But the decals I have are HC-451.

So I can't use them afterall on a metalwinger. :weep:

Looks like I will need another subject for the "Finnish" groupbuild.

Edited by Erwin