dhc-7 and dart herald

kspriss

The only Dash 7 kit I can remember was by Welsh Models in 1/144th scale. The DHC-6 is the Twin Otter.

HTH

Paul Harrison

hiya all.

does anyone know if any kits of the dhc-7 and the HP art herald were ever produced?

steve

There was a resin 1/144 DHC-7 from Sasquatch and maybe a vacform from Clint Groves old ATP operation.

David

Conversion would be a labour of love. These are 2 completely different designs. From the looks of the 3-view drawings in the book , De Havilland Canada Story, the DHC-7 fuselage section is round, whereas the DHC-8 is oval. I would love to see it if you can pull it off!

Hobbycraft do a 1/72 Dash 8. Perhaps you could convert it to a -7 ?

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/civil/dash8preview.htm

Sadly, tony is right. the dhc-7 have a round fuselage cross section and the -8 doesnt. also the engines are very different (PW pt6a-50s for the -7 and i think pw1120 for the -8)

so, im not brave enough to even think of converting the hobbycraft one, bu thanks to davet for the idea :)

im gonna see if someone like welsh do a 7 and then go from there i think.

steve

Edited by kspriss

Tornadoes from Camels? Methinks there is a group build for that. Camels with wrap around paintwork and lo-viz roundels, do you think?

remember also: 9 out of 10 men who tried Camels still prefer blondes. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Im sure I saw a DHC-7 conversion from a DHC-8 at SMW

oops!

Yes there was a 1/72 conversion on the Cardiff Stand. It was produced by Hilton Jones who is the ultimate kit basher. I forget what bits of which aircraft went into the conversion but I remember that the engines were scratch built using plastic card and Milliput.

I have built the Sasquatch kit, it was so good it nearly flew .... against the wall. Still we got there in the end and it looks ok for one of my efforts of 10 years ago.

I was speaking with Densil of Welsh Models just two weeks ago and he is still working on his 1/144 DHC-7. No specific timescale as yet.

The only place I've been able to find that does a 1/72 DHC 7 is an outfit called Atlantic Models. This is a custom desk-top model manufacturer and the models go for serious coin, but they do a few schemes, here's one in the link but you have to look around in the 'airlines' section to find others (their search engine isn't very good)

http://yhst-83415459357696.stores.yahoo.ne...viasadash7.html

EDIT:

Here's another:

http://yhst-83415459357696.stores.yahoo.ne...ls-us-army.html

Edited by kitnut617

id love to know more about this conversion. Has Cardiff Modelers got a web site/ forum?

Unfortunately we do not have a web site but I have been in touch with Hilton Jones to find out more about his 1/72 conversion of the Dash 8 to Dash 7. In general terms this is what he remembered from 2001 -

Fuselage - the starting point was to produce a new keel out of plastic card. Dash 8 fuselage sections were attached to this to form the Dash 7 fuselage cross-section. The incidence of the tailplane was altered together with a slight increase in chord. The nose was from an Airfix F27, reshaped and blended into the fuselage.

Wings- these also came from the F27 with only a relatively small addition to the span. Modifications to produce the required chord involved much rebuilding of the trailing halves of the wings.

Engines - came from an Airfix Lancaster with much rehaping in the mediums of plastic card and Milliput.

U/C - was scratch built using brass/aluminium tube and rod. Wheels form F27

Obviously a lot of detailed work went into this project including the final rescribing of the control surfaces.

Hilton wrote a short article on this build in the April 2001 edition of the Airliner SIG Nesletter.

It shows that if you want something badly enough you can do it!

Vincent

• 2 months later...

Converting the God-awful HC Dash-8 into a Dash-7 is just about like converting a P-51 into a 727. You might just as well scratch build the whole thing. I don't believe the real a/c have any parts whatsoever in common, and I'm 100% sure they have no structural parts in common. They're totally different airplanes.

J

• 1 month later...

Dash-7 and 8 are completely different animals. the -7 has a smaller fuselage but a larger tail

I would love to do one of the -7's i worked on, especially this one. its a geological survey plane, the wires send out a magnetic pulse that reads what minerals are under the ground.

DSC00962.jpg

Edited by Dylan