Freightdog Hawker P1154 ...... V/STOL fighter

Hi folks, several projects are coming together at the same time so I apologise for hogging the posts a bit but I hope you don't mind me showing them as they are finished.

This is the wonderful new Freightdog Hawker P1154 V/STOL fighter that was the forerunner of the all singing, all dancing Harrier that we know so well today, in fact this aircraft was the original 'Hawker Harrier' as the name was chosen for the 1154 before the P1127 had progressed on to become the Harrier GR1. It was basically to become a supersonic development of the P1127/ Kestrel but was ultimately to be cancelled in favour of the F4 Phantom in 1965. For anyone interested in the full history and development of the aircraft you may be interested in this,

P1154 story .

The model is now available under the 'Silver Cloud' label and has the separate all new weapons pack fitted which I think adds a lot of character to the aircraft. Anyone who has purchased one of Freightdog's models will know what to expect, high quality moulds, clear instructions, great decal sets, etc..The fit is excellent, and the new weapons set is of the highest quality, I really hope Colin and Ally intend to produce similar sets in the future because they really add another dimension to the models, (the missiles are Blue Dolphin AAM's, and the tanks 300gal) , the only thing I added from the spares box were the two SNEB packs under the forward fuselage shown in a few of the shots...

The model and weapons set build will feature in a magazine review shortly. I have a real thing for all these obscure types and plan to build several more next year..........................so roll on the next one :jump_fire:

Hope you like it,

Melchie... :cheers:

P1060402-1-1.jpg

P1060404-2.jpg

P1060406-1-1-1.jpg

P1060441-1.jpg

P1060446-1.jpg

P1060415-1-1.jpg

P1060416-1-1-1.jpg

Edited by general melchett

Lovely job as ever Andy, weapons set (test cast, production set being realised at Telford) really finishes it off. For info the P.1154 is not for sale on my website, due to quality issues with the clear resin canopies coming from Hong Kong (I had to reject quite a few due to air bubbles). Plan is for Ali at A2Zee to cast some up for me so kit can go back on sale at Telford to.

Colin

Edited by Colin @ Freightdog Models

Thanks Col, yep that was probably the only issue with the model that I didn't mention!!..my resin canopy whilst not having any air bubbles was a bit opaque and needed a fair bit of rubbing down with Micro Mesh to get decent clarity, however it's not a huge job and after a few dips in Klear it came up nicely,

good to hear that Ali will get his hands on them :winkgrin:

Andy

Very neat job again Andy, nice paint finish! The canopy was the only thing I was going to ask you about as it does look a bit cloudy. You can always say its early morning on the flightline & theres a bit of condensation about!

I have to say that while its another great looking jet, I was always glad this one was cancelled so that we got the beloved Toom instead!!!

Keef

Mon General: Excellent work...time to turn on the canopy defroster however...

Hawker Cheers,

ggc

Blue Dolphins, Max (by the by, where do I get the set from to attach to my P1154 ?) - a semi-active radar homing weapon in the Firestreak/Red Top family.

Lovely build (and making me wonder whether I should abandon my plan to do an arctic schemed aircraft. Or [more likely] buy another one....)

Thanks guys, Max as XV says the missiles are Blue Dolphins, formerly known as the Blue Jay MK 5 with IR and radar seeking heads which were interchangeable, however problems with the radar caused it to be cancelled in favour of Red Top in 1958. Basically it looks like a Red Top with an extended nose....

Thanks XV , winter scheme would look rather nice :jump_fire: , lots of options for this one!

Melchie...

Thanks XV , winter scheme would look rather nice :jump_fire: , lots of options for this one!

Dunno how far you want to stretch 'whiffery', but....................

Didn't the Chinese almost buy the GR.1?

Can you see where this one's going?

Very very nice Melchie, I am most impressed.

Des.

Nice job, very nice indeed.

What a shame that not only this, but Pegasus two never made it off the drawing board. either.

Ie this was a standard pegasus engine with two lift nozzles and a Jet pipe. I've not seen much on the Web about this, but in the 80's I used to work at TKR who made the nozzle parts for these, and I always remember a picture of this on the wall in the inspection room of this perposed development.

Again nice build, and sorry to wander off topic!!!

Dave

Thanks chaps, Andy and F-32,

Kirk, sorry which markings?, I'm at work and can't access my pics...terrible memory.. :clif:

Des thanks, like to try the somewhat 'off base' stuff, glad you like it, some more stuff just round the corner....

Dave, nice information, certainly not off topic, info on these subjects is scarce enough and any little thing to add to the story is definitely of interest :cheers:

Melchie.....