Is it True

Angels49

That it was designed to operate from unimproved air fields, in other words it could take off and land on a hard dirt road or a strip with low grass and not toooo many rocks. I thought I saw a documentary once that showed it doing a dirt field takeoff. If it could then it was a very capable forerunner to the much ballyhooed Harrier, which as we all know lads is no slouch at V/Stol.

From the Dark Side

Edited by Darkflyer

Very true indeed! Got a DVD showing a UK Jag taking off from a grass strip and its very feckin bumpy I can tell you that now! Also from lots of time kicking tin for Crab Air IIRC our tolerannces for Jags was a lot less than for Tornado's and Harriers than the Jag. Not that far off a Herc. :poke:

True, although iirc it wasn't a forerunner of the Harrier - the GR1 entered service in 1969, the Jaguar in the early-mid 70s.

:doh: Open mouth, insert sock, I thought fer sure that the Jag got there first, time to brush up on Brit birds, make that aircraft.

A Jaguar did a take-off, one year, at the Farnborough show, using the grass, instead of the runway. I was there, and the cloud of dust, and grass, was quite spectacular. There should be film, of it, somewhere.

Edgar

:doh: Open mouth, insert sock, I thought fer sure that the Jag got there first, time to brush up on Brit birds, make that aircraft.

Brit birds aren't bad either ;)

It's no coincidence that the TSR.2 had a similar landing gear layout, and decent sized tyres, as it was to have the same capabilities. I've heard someone describe the Jag as the TSR.2's younger cousin... Whether that's a fair comparison, or just coincidence, I don't know. :shrug:

There is also a famous photo of a Jag taking off from a stretch of motorway in the 70s (road had been closed beforehand mind ;) )

Wasn't it that it hadn't been opened yet? I thought it was a brand new bit of Motorway that they used BEFORE the section had been joined up to the existing roads.

Grant

I think it was the M52 near Blackpool?. It wasn't open to the public at the time. The Jag did trials early on here, and it used to up along side the runway; T2 if i recal. Got a photo somewhere, but not an e-copy. There's photos around here somewhere, the last flight and a Jag with the chute deployed yet its still off the ground! - British - Hard as Nails. In total contrast, spoke to a chap about the Typhoon. Any probs the driver brings back, first thing they do is switch it on and off (aka computer hardware), this cures most problems! - how times change.

I think it was the M52 near Blackpool?. It wasn't open to the public at the time. The Jag did trials early on here, and it used to up along side the runway; T2 if i recal. Got a photo somewhere, but not an e-copy. There's photos around here somewhere, the last flight and a Jag with the chute deployed yet its still off the ground! - British - Hard as Nails. In total contrast, spoke to a chap about the Typhoon. Any probs the driver brings back, first thing they do is switch it on and off (aka computer hardware), this cures most problems! - how times change.

Picture in this thread:

Jag

Clive

Aside from them being designed as advanced supersonic trainers, weren't they also designed for naval use?

On the 'off-road' subject, more recently John Sullivan (OC 6Sqn) taxiied one of the Jags across the grass at Cosford after its final flight there.

Aside from them being designed as advanced supersonic trainers, weren't they also designed for naval use?

Oui - Aeronavale - too complicated in the end (I think) so enter one Super Etendard!

On the 'off-road' subject, more recently John Sullivan (OC 6Sqn) taxiied one of the Jags across the grass at Cosford after its final flight there.

He was actually cutting the grass Dean :tease:

Oui - Aeronavale - too complicated in the end (I think) so enter one Super Etendard!

My understnading was always that the naval Jaguar was superior in most respects to the Super Etendard but that it was French nationalism coupled with the Super Etendard's full French content that won the day for it. :undecided:

As I remeber it at the time, the Super (theres a laugh) Etendard was chosen over the Jaguar as the French Navy were persuded by Dassault that the Jaguars performance with one engine out, was marginal.

The 'Super' Etendards performance with one engine out can be likened to an expensive brick falling from the sky at high speed. Why's this you ask? Simple, it's only got one engine.

Also, there was no space available in the Jag, for the auto white flag deployer, some fool had put an IFR probe there.

W

It is true that the Jaguar wasn't liked by French politicians but the failure of the Jaguar M may not be because of political reasons. The Marine Nationale simply did not want this plane: they found it too heavy, too expensive and too big. There's a account of the Jaguar M trials in the French (throw up in this bucket Wolfpack) book "Le félin franco-anglais en action: Jaguar" by Alain Vezin. The plane was underpowered and single engine carrier operations where delicate. At maximum weight, the acceleration when doing an single engine wave-off was equal to zero. At 150ft when pilot turned on the afterburner on a single engine, speed stabilized at 120kts. That nailed the coffin: when Dassault offered a revised aircraft, the Marine Nationale refused the idea The Super-Etendard must have been not too heavy, not too expensive and not too big...

Edited by Laurent

As I remeber it at the time, the Super (theres a laugh) Etendard was chosen over the Jaguar as the French Navy were persuded by Dassault that the Jaguars performance with one engine out, was marginal.

The 'Super' Etendards performance with one engine out can be likened to an expensive brick falling from the sky at high speed. Why's this you ask? Simple, it's only got one engine.

Also, there was no space available in the Jag, for the auto white flag deployer, some fool had put an IFR probe there.

W

Tss, tss, Mister Wolfpack ...

Me being constant froggy, must stress that these statements are quite brutal and not jolly friendly at all ! :hobbyhorse::rolleyes:

However Super Etendard were named so to differentiate from Etendard IV. Now, even if not a Tomcat, Etendard did a fine operational carreer (and do carry on) and fufliled the period criteria and more importantly, fitted our midget carriers. Thus, the Jaguar M (for Marine), with no wingfold system and quite high legged did'nt suit our diminiutive carriers.

Politcs (there are alaways some in a defense program) were a side effect there, not the main reason.

Cheers

Stef (#6)

and for that white flag stuff .... :headphones: