Black Jag at RAF Cranwell

brooksy

Hi Folks,

I returned today from a few days in Aberdeen, and I drove past RAF Cranwell on my way home. To my shock, I saw a black Jaguar taxying around the airfield under it's own steam. I couldn't stop as I had the usual BMW up my bottom, but can anyone shed any light on this for me? I would love to know more about it, whether it's airworthy, privately owned or just used for ground procedure training etc.

Chuffed to see one again. I feel a day out to Cranwell is on the cards :partytime:

Cheers now

Andy :)

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcranwell/aboutus/dcae.cfm

Basically teaches new Engineering Officers what its like to be on a Squadron.

The Teachers, Sgts mainly act as pilots and are the ones that taxi the aircraft, Taxi out to "take off" then taxi back after "landing" with loads of snags.

The pupils take up different roles Airframe Techs, Avionics, Management line controllers etc etc to get a feel of there own and there future subordinates roles.

Hi Folks,

I returned today from a few days in Aberdeen, and I drove past RAF Cranwell on my way home. To my shock, I saw a black Jaguar taxying around the airfield under it's own steam. I couldn't stop as I had the usual BMW up my bottom, but can anyone shed any light on this for me? I would love to know more about it, whether it's airworthy, privately owned or just used for ground procedure training etc.

Chuffed to see one again. I feel a day out to Cranwell is on the cards :partytime:

Cheers now

There are quite few maintained in a ground running state at Cranwell.

Cranwells Black Jags-

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16179

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Oh Nuts!!!

I was hoping you were all going to tell me that it has been secretly serviced at cranwell, and is set to join the airshow circuit next year :whistle:

Too good to be true I suppose.

Thanks for the info and speedy reply guys :thumbsup2:

Regards

Thanks for the rapid replies Mat & Shaun, they look gorgeous, now Im gonna have to find another 72nd Jag to do one of these as the one I have is earmarked for another handpainted Spotty Jag :doh:

Bexy

ive got pictures of 3 different ones and there loads on airliners.net, i did a double take when i saw them as well!

well at least it seem's that newark air museum will be getting a jag!, i wonder if its one of them?, ill have to ask that nice chap when im down there again!

Thanks for the rapid replies Mat & Shaun, they look gorgeous, now Im gonna have to find another 72nd Jag to do one of these as the one I have is earmarked for another handpainted Spotty Jag :doh:

Bexy

AirDecal's sheet 7210 includes markings for XX141, one of Cranwell's black two seaters.

Oh Nuts!!!

I was hoping you were all going to tell me that it has been secretly serviced at cranwell, and is set to join the airshow circuit next year :whistle:

Too good to be true I suppose.

Thanks for the info and speedy reply guys :thumbsup2:

Regards

10 have or are in the process of going to the USA as they were trying to recruit ex RAF Engineers for them, so there is a chance they will fly again, though probably with someone like Blackwater. I was sent an email about it at the time to let me know if I was interested.

Edited by TonyT

On the way to Fairford this year I made a detour to Cranwell where I was lucky enough to get these 3 Jaguars just completeing a circuit of the taxiways.

GR.1 XX821/P with rocket pod on the outboard pylon

2009-07-16-0028.jpg

T.2A XX141/T with practice bomb carrier on the outboard plyon

2009-07-16-0015.jpg

GR.1 XX965/C still grey/green camouflage with 16 Squadron markings and carrying a Pave Spike ?? under the centreline and ALQ-101 ? ECM pod on the outboard pylon. Although not visible in this view, it also had its maintenance serial 9254M in small (4 inch) charactcers ahead of the original serial.

2009-07-16-0018.jpg