BAe 146-300 prototype

richellis

Ok,

Ive been given the BAe 146/RJ book (Stephen Skinners book) and after picking up a couple of very cheap revell RJ kits (with no boxes, instructions, decals..)

i want to build a 100 and a 300 out of them.

For the 300 I have seen a pic of SSSH after its conversion, and its part painted, with the fuselage plugs and other bits in primer and thats how I want to build mine! (its on the bottom of page 54)

Has any one got some colour pics? or better pics? I need a break from the biggie!

thanks

There are colour pictures around, taken in the Hatfield flight test hangar and some taken earlier. I'll see if I can find them. I have a suspicion they may be in an obscure Hatfield site magazines that may defy a quick search. Basically though it was in the original G-SSSH brown/orange scheme with primer green fuselage drum section. It was also originally registered as G-5-300 I think before it was painted.

Thanks. i found an article on the net that shows how to do the conversion. I think im going to do g-sssh as the first 100, then after conversion before painting, and If I can get some more kits ill do it a G-LUXE.

If any one has the article id like a scan if thats possible

Is that the one in the Yahoo Airliners group?

Basically, a '70 is a '85 with 4 windows less, 2 forward and 2 aft of the wing. And guess what,

a '100 is a '85 with 4 MORE windows, 2 forward and 2 aft of the wing. Which means two '85 kits

contain exactly the required number of windows for a '70 and a '100!

Take the first '85 and perform the fuselage cuts between windows 5 and 6, and between windows 19

and 20. This will give you "long" front and rear sections and a "short" center section.

Now slice the second fuselage between windows 3 and 4 and windows 21 and 22. You now have "short"

front and rear sections and a "long" center section.

Now put all the long sections together and hey presto, here's a '100! The '70 will result of the

assembly of the short sections. Of course some puttying and sanding will be required!

There are colour pictures around, taken in the Hatfield flight test hangar and some taken earlier. I'll see if I can find them. I have a suspicion they may be in an obscure Hatfield site magazines that may defy a quick search. Basically though it was in the original G-SSSH brown/orange scheme with primer green fuselage drum section. It was also originally registered as G-5-300 I think before it was painted.

I remember this one being built, infact I worked on her in a way (I worked in DAD2 Detailed Assembly Department!). She was modify in one of the smaller shed (where the Vampire and DH110 Sea Vixen were built, with her back end hanging out in the elements for long long time) before heading to flight test, and yes I remember her having the primer ring. I've still got the tape recording of the roll out ceremony somewhere, sadly lost the Gold HS125-300 coin medal we were also given years ago.