2exbQk2N.jpg

dDfXKnxv.jpg

OGs7xN1X.jpg

Z1E98jpn.jpg

fC7tiO22.jpg

G7p2QGVY.jpg

uCJDU4iC.jpg

ZtTuq8lh.jpg

Any criticism / comments / advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Dr_GN

• Like 3

Well I'm seeing the pics, and very nice they are too :thumbsup:

That's a lovely C-17. Seems like you're a natural given you say you're new to all those techniques, they look spot on to me :)

:goodjob:

Well I'm seeing the pics, and very nice they are too :thumbsup:

That's a lovely C-17. Seems like you're a natural given you say you're new to all those techniques, they look spot on to me :)

:goodjob:

Thank you. I did read a LOT about these techniques beforehand, took some advice, and tried a couple of test pieces before building this model! Still, I'm pleasantly surprised at the result. It makes most of my previous work look worse for it though!

Cheers,

Dr_GN,

Very nice! How did the kit decals go down for you? I did the artwork for them, but I have no idea who printed them. I thought it was going to be Cartograf, but given their matte finish, I'm sure it wasn't.

Is your model going on a stand of some sort, or are you doing a gear-up landing diorama? :)

J

atdb27, jennings_heilig,

Thanks for the kind comments! The model will be hung from my son's ceiling , so no undercarriage needed. I wiould very quickly run out of room if every model was on its wheels.

The decals are fine, but I had big problems with silvering. I think this was partly my fault, since the paint finish wasn't that good - rough even after Klear. I ended up doing some desperate in-build experimentation, and found that the following method worked:

1) Apply plenty of Klear to decal area.

2) Slide decal off backing as usual.

3) Dab into place with a damp cloth.

4) Apply MicroSol on top of the decal and leave 5 minutes.

5) Press down again hard with damp cloth.

6) Coat with Klear.

This got rid of the silvering, and for the most part, got the decals to conform to the surface.

I didn't use some of the door outlines, since I was using a wash to do the panel lines. I had to cut out the stencilling and rescue arrows and put them on seperately.

All the walkway lines were the perfect size, as was everything else.

Cheers,

Dr_GN

• 3 years later...

Thanks guys.

There are a few thread bumps going on today!

This is a very nice kit, and the first one I tried weathering techniques like pre-shading and panel line washes. I learned a lot from it, and can recommend it to anyone who might be interested in this type of aircraft.