Hasegawa F-102 & F-106 combo.

Paul

I thought the F-102 kit was on a par with the F-106.

Built my single seater without any filler - so it can't be that bad. I've got no other photos.

Hasegawa_F-102B.jpg

Try this review for a taster - http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/manstf102.htm

The Deuce and the Six are both from the early 1970s. Absolutely no cockpit, no wheel wells, no missile bay detail, poorly fitting missile bay doors if you want them closed, finely raised panel lines, thick clear parts. Basic shapes are pretty good in both cases, but don't expect a state of the art model in either one. While the fit is pretty good and the overall shapes are okay, I'd have to say both are fairly crude kits.

It's WAY past time for new 1/72 kits of both of them, and without rivets please!!

J

Hi Paul,

The Hasegawa F-102, while admittedly as old as i am, needs to be put in historical context. For its time it was pretty good. Shapes and proportions are very good with no significant outline errors or inaccuracies. I don't have a kit nearby, so i cannot verify if the wing is of the early Case X (10) or later Case XX (20) , which incorporated a noticeable conical camber out near the tips to improve low speed handling. The surface detail is composed of fine raised rivets and panel lines, but nowhere near the cheese-grater texture of a FROG Shackleton.

Early F-102s had landing gear struts arranged perpendicular to the trunnion. Later -102s had the leg canted slightly forward.

The separate intake pieces have rather substantial sprue gates spanning the inside wall, so some aggressive cleanup work will be required here.

As Jennings mentioned, fitting the weapons bay doors in the closed position would probably be an exercise in futility. Some time spent with .010/ .020 card and some Mastercasters Pirahna sanding sticks should be able to grind everything into submission.

The only real objection i have to this kit (and it applies to the Vigilante as well), is that the canopy part does not include the surrounding canopy framework, so ye have quite a job ahead of you if you desire to open the canopy and detail the cockpit. The cockpit walls are pretty thick and may require some grinding to thin them to a more realistic geometry. Ye might want to focus your efforts just on the seat, instrument panel, and canopy framework.

Hope this Helps.

All the best,

david

• 2 weeks later...

For a closed missile bay try Aeroclub item V202 1/72 F-102 DELTA DAGGER CLOSED MISSILE BAY DOORS INSERT

They also have V180 1/72 F-102 DELTA DAGGER U/C SET

and they have similar parts for the F-106

Edited by rossm

• 1 month later...

Please see my recent 'Wanted' thread. Do any of you guys know where an F-102A kit may be found - either Hase or Frog? I know about the Frog one on E-Bay now but how much should this cost? I would have thought £7 - £10 on a par with a 106? The Combo kit seems just a bit steap price-wise at around the £26 + post mark. Ialready have both kits but want another 102 to use with a TF conversion picked up at SMW - Thinks: Maybe I should sell the TF conversion?........

Any advice gratefully accepted,

Cheers

Simon

If you are going for an old kit of the F102 be prepared for some trouble with the decals. I have built several old Hasegawa kits an have had dreadful trouble getting them to separate from the backing sheet.

John

Thanks Gents

Not to worried about the decals as I want to chop the nose off and I will probably do something 'aftermarket'. Nearly had kittens yesterday when I checked Collectakits list and discovered a Frog F-102B for £6 or so. Then I realised that the 'B' became the F-106 and that was that!

Cheers

Simon