Never Again

I spotted this on e-bay and just had to have it, if only for the markings.

The basic kit is the Monogram / Revell Mirage 2000C also boxed by Italeri and in this case, Hasegawa. Transfers by Cartograph

so how could I go wrong?

8.jpg

Easy really, the Revell kit is a poor relation of the Airfix / Heller 2000 and as such, deserves to be re-tooled. So what’s wrong with it?

The first omission, and a really obvious one, is the row of rivets (bolts???) down the wing / fuselage join. The exhaust is devoid of any detail and has a strange crinkley shape.

The vent on the fuselage spine looks like a piece of cheese, the vents on the side are missing, the cockpit is poor and, regardless of the photo of the real thing on the box, Revell supply the wrong drop tank a couple of Exocets and some overweight Magic missiles.

The undercarriage is molded as if the a/c has just lifted off and is too long for a static model (and is poor anyway) and the nose has a funny droop. The panel lines are raised except for the underwing, which are scribed. Apparently, this part of the mold was damaged and this is the result of the repair job by Revell. Shame they didn’t do the rest of the kit whilst they were at it.

Remedies were a Neomega cockpit set (which doesn’t fit), Airfix undercarriage legs and centre line tank and Renaissance mainwheels. The jet pipe was also taken from an Airfix kit. The nose was removed and replaced by an Airfix one sawn from a redundant kit. The instrument panel in the Neomega set is too tall therefore the front coaming won’t fit. The bottom instruments have to be removed from the panel to lower it sufficiently.

The transfers cracked on application, a surprise as Cartograph are usually very good and in spite of a gloss surface, silver at the slightest excuse.

Looks OK though, but I’m not going to build another Revell Mirage 2000 if I can possibly help it.

7.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

And now, tidy up the model room and get out the F-4G.................................

W

Edited by Wolfpack

Reading this with some trepidation. NeOmega pride themselves on their cockpits fitting the target kits - and from personal experience, I can say that you don't have to sand away half the resin to make them fit. (You may have to butcher the kit, though.) I've bought their Mirage 2000 cockpit for my Heller Mirage, in the knowledge that it was designed for the Monogram job, and so I expect it to need a bit more work. But if the cockpit won't even fit the Monogram Mirage ... what have I let myself in for?

Reading this with some trepidation. NeOmega pride themselves on their cockpits fitting the target kits - and from personal experience, I can say that you don't have to sand away half the resin to make them fit. (You may have to butcher the kit, though.) I've bought their Mirage 2000 cockpit for my Heller Mirage, in the knowledge that it was designed for the Monogram job, and so I expect it to need a bit more work. But if the cockpit won't even fit the Monogram Mirage ... what have I let myself in for?

I thought the Neomega cockpit was actually for the ESCI/Italeri kit?

Andy

The Italeri kit is the same as the Monogram/Revell one with the same problems.

Your sure about that? The Monogram kit has raised lines whereas the Italeri kit has recessed which suggests its a repop of the Mirage 2000 ESCI did in the 80s.

Unless Italeri have reboxed the Mono kit in the meantime?

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Your sure about that? The Monogram kit has raised lines whereas the Italeri kit has recessed which suggests its a repop of the Mirage 2000 ESCI did in the 80s.

Jonathan is correct. There have been three different toolings of the Mirage 2000C in 1/48th;

The Heller kit which was reboxed by Airfix and then Eduard and is probably the best of the lot;

The Esci kit which was reboxed by Italeri and has probably the nicest surface detailing of them all;

The Monogram kit which is probably the poorest, has raised panel lines and has been reboxed by Revell and Hasegawa (although this was for the Japanese market only).

The Neomega cockpit set is designed to be, and is, a drop fit in the Esci/Italeri kit, not the Monogram one.

For those interested there's a decent kitology here;

http://edsaircraft.co.uk/Models/Articles-M...kitsummary.html

Edited by Gary C

Man that looks good, shame it was a chore.

I remember seeing that aircraft in 97

dixonm2kphoto2.jpg

If I remember rightly got an award for solo display.

Also xtradecal do those markings in 1,72 as I used them;

Mirage04.jpg

Mirage05.jpg

Julien

Edited by Julien