Spitfire XIX underwing cameras

Edgar

I've just got hold of a copy of "Spitfire Icon of a Nation," by Ivan Rendall, and, on page 15, there's an underneath shot of PM655, clearly showing the camera housings, and, with the serial painted over them, they look to be permanent. The (visible) Squadron code, port side, is W-6C (which, post-war, was PRDU, according to my information,) and the photo credit is Hugh W. Cowin/Rex Features, who is/are unknown to me. Anyone thinking of getting the book, be careful, since there are two, one being half the size of the other, and I can't say if the smaller copy contains all of the material of its big brother. The ISBN, on mine, is 978-0-297-85511-8; the cover price is £25, but I got mine via Amazon for just over £12.

Edgar

I've just got hold of a copy of "Spitfire Icon of a Nation," by Ivan Rendall, and, on page 15, there's an underneath shot of PM655, clearly showing the camera housings, and, with the serial painted over them, they look to be permanent. The (visible) Squadron code, port side, is W-6C (which, post-war, was PRDU, according to my information,) and the photo credit is Hugh W. Cowin/Rex Features, who is/are unknown to me. Anyone thinking of getting the book, be careful, since there are two, one being half the size of the other, and I can't say if the smaller copy contains all of the material of its big brother. The ISBN, on mine, is 978-0-297-85511-8; the cover price is £25, but I got mine via Amazon for just over £12.

Edgar

Or you could email me, and I can send you a copy of the photo.

[email protected]

Colin