Andover Kits

coolhand

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone makes a decent IM kit of the Andover?

The reason I ask is that I want to make a model of an aircraft that I have flown in. In this case Andover no. SX606 during an air cadet visit to Boscombe Down during the early/mid 90's

Other highlights of the day included sitting in the then new Harrier GR7 and being shown a EH 101 by accident!

Many thanks

Andy

We're talking 1/72nd scale I presume? The only Andover model that I can rememberl was in resin and by a compant called Rugrats if I recall correctly. I've been looking for one on e-bay and elsewhere for several years without success. Don't suppose anyone here as one or knows where I might get a C.1 from at a non-astronomical price?

Mark

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone makes a decent IM kit of the Andover?

The reason I ask is that I want to make a model of an aircraft that I have flown in. In this case Andover no. SX606 during an air cadet visit to Boscombe Down during the early/mid 90's

Other highlights of the day included sitting in the then new Harrier GR7 and being shown a EH 101 by accident!

Many thanks

I've got one from Rugrats. It was bought a couple of years ago for about 60 pounds. I intend to do the ETPS version. The only option is perhaps purchase one of the metal/wooden models on ebay and respray it. Not ideal but needs must.

I may stand to be corrected but there are no C.1's in any scale. However, if you want a C.2 (ie a HS.748 wiv a serial not a registration) then you can have the stone age Airwaves offering in 1/72, or a Welsh Models offering in 1/144, both vac form. I have no idea as to availability.

Rugrats became part of Aircraft in Miniature. Their 1/72 resin kit of the HS.748 is still available from Hannants AIM 1/72 HS.748 and they did produce a resin kit of a proper RAF Andover. The two kits were reviewed in the May 1999 (HS.748) and November 1999 (Andover) issues of Scale Aircraft Modelling.

Edited by rod mcq

One of my searches too. Here's my 2 cents worth:

1/144 - C1 and CC2 vaforms still available from Welsh Models

1/72 - C1 and CC2 (Avro 748) resins not currently availabble from Aircraft in Miniature, C1 vacform OOP from Formaplane.

I have a desperate back up plan but haven't yet tried it. It goes like this:

I found a 1/72 Bandai kit of the NAMC YS-11 and a 1/72 set of Andover C1 and CC2 drawings and they are close enough in most dimensions to use the YS-11 to convert to a passable C1.

Now, I hasten to add that this is an unstarted project (one of many) and it will not produce a perfect replica but it will be pretty close and certainly good enough for me. Anyway, I find the vacforms of the Formaplane era are not that great in the accuracy area either and this way I get an injection moulded u/c and props which look useable too.

If you were to try to make the HS748 out of a YS-11, depending on how fanatically accurate you want to be, you would have to consider:-

1 minor reshaping of nosecone and canopy windows

2 shortening fuselage and filling windows then adding new windows/doors in correct places

3 minor reshaping of engine nacelles

4 (not necessary for C1 and I wouldn't recommend it for HS748 but to be really accurate the nacelles need to be positioned more inboard on the wing. The C1 and YS-11 have more powerful engines with larger props and the engines are farther from the fuselage than in the HS748 or Andover CC2. This would be a big job on the model and as the difference is only about a foot in real life, is it worth it?.)

5 shorten propblades

6 reshape fin/ rudder and rear fuselage and make cargo door

7 reposition tailplanes

If I ever get around to doing this, I expect to use a fair bit of Milliput :rolleyes: I should also point out I devised this desperate idea in 1997 and still haven't had the nerve to try it! I keep looking for the Formaplane vacform at a reasonable price.

David

Edited by David Womby

• 3 months later...
Neil Gaunt has just re-released the 748 under the rugrat label,retailing at about £95 through Hannants about 2 months ago,i believe the andover is set to follow sometime.hth chris

Hannants mark-up price is horrendous! When this kit was available direct from AIM, it was +/-£60

Edited by AMB

Hannants mark-up price is horrendous! When this kit was available direct from AIM, it was +/-£60

Not just Hannants I suspect, Neil posted on AMD about how the costs stacked up for his DC-8 kit, the cost of raw materials was scary.

I wish Welsh had released their C1 kit, but AFAIK they only ever did the CC2/748

I used to work for AIM/RugRat and these are pics of the first 748/Andover CC2 and Andover C1 castings produced. They were used to prove the fit of parts and decal artwork etc and are not up to the production standard as released but I hope you can get an idea of the kits from these. As far as I know both kits will be available again soon and the price increase will be due to the costs of rubber and resin having risen so much since they were last available. These are large castings and consume a lot of rubber and resin!

DSCF3318.JPGDSCF3319.JPG

For your information if you do find a Formaplane (Ex ID Models) 748 or Andover keep walking as they only vaguely resemble the original subjects. Also Welsh did produce both in 1/144 as vacforms.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I used to work for AIM/RugRat and these are pics of the first 748/Andover CC2 and Andover C1 castings produced. They were used to prove the fit of parts and decal artwork etc and are not up to the production standard as released but I hope you can get an idea of the kits from these. As far as I know both kits will be available again soon and the price increase will be due to the costs of rubber and resin having risen so much since they were last available. These are large castings and consume a lot of rubber and resin!

DSCF3318.JPGDSCF3319.JPG

For your information if you do find a Formaplane (Ex ID Models) 748 or Andover keep walking as they only vaguely resemble the original subjects. Also Welsh did produce both in 1/144 as vacforms.

Hope this helps.

Steve

When they do release it I will be first in line, need one to start my RAF Northolt aircraft

• 7 years later...