A Brilliant piece of kit

Phil Reeder

Technically only the analogue version should be called 'Vernier' calipers, as they use the Vernier scale for the measuring indicator. Digital ones are simply just called digital calipers. I once got snapped at by a senior engineer for this at work :lol:

Because we were trained as engineers, an analogue micrometer could measure much closer than the thou's marked in its graduations, with expert use you could get down to a couple of tenths accuracy (a tenth being 1/ 10,000 of an inch)

Calipers ( as pictured ) are a lot more inaccurate, as were original Vernier calipers and would only be used for approx readings ie, plus or minus 5 thou or so.

Rick, ex tool maker

Cool Phil, have a couple at work in my tool kit, anong with some digital mics, I look at people trying to read the old "analogue" ones these days and think... Why????
Edited by sinnerboy

Vernier calipers or gauge is correct. :)

I've got one - manual of course (said with a smug voice). It's calibrated in both metric and imperial - measures to 0.001" or 0.02mm. It also provides inside and outside measurements plus depth, and since I do a fair amount of scratchbuilding I don't know what I'd do without it (being an unashamed rivet counter in the best sense of the term, although I have to say it cost a lot more than £3.50!!). :hobbyhorse::smartass:

Edited by Brian1

Because we were trained as engineers, an analogue micrometer could measure much closer than the thou's marked in its graduations, with expert use you could get down to a couple of tenths accuracy (a tenth being 1/ 10,000 of an inch)

Calipers ( as pictured ) are a lot more inaccurate, as were original Vernier calipers and would only be used for approx readings ie, plus or minus 5 thou or so.

Rick, ex tool maker

Rich,

You misread into my post that I was comparing a mic to a vernier, I wasn't, I just said I had both, I agree, I have both vernier and digital, but for most jobs in the Aero industryI deal in the need for accuracy is not neccessarily down to that accuracy, unfortunately with an analogue instrument I find that a lot of people these days just cannot read them, and boy have i seen some howlers......

For what it is worth Rolls Royce during the war could machine engine components down to tolerances that cannot be reached anywhere in the world these days, the skill has been lost, they tried to find somewhere but couldn't, not all progress has for the better. BTW I am a fully trained Engineerie thingy too :)

Edited by TonyT

sorry mate, I did misread.

made a few howlers myself. I remember onece when i was an apprentice, my first complete press tool as a phase test....so the main punch ( a fairly complicated shape) was machined, sent off to be hardened, came back and ground to the final dimensions to a .0003" accuracy.... I then realise i'd made the thing 3" long instead of 4....doh :suicide: .thought I was going to get a right bollocking off my mentor / Foreman, but what he said are words of wisdom I will never forget. He said " the person who never made a mistake never made anything"....how true! Also " measure it, measure it again, and then do it a third time, then you cut metal"

cheers

rick

Rich,

You misread into my post that I was comparing a mic to a vernier, I wasn't, I just said I had both, I agree, I have both vernier and digital, but for most jobs in the Aero industryI deal in the need for accuracy is not neccessarily down to that accuracy, unfortunately with an analogue instrument I find that a lot of people these days just cannot read them, and boy have i seen some howlers......

For what it is worth Rolls Royce during the war could machine engine components down to tolerances that cannot be reached anywhere in the world these days, the skill has been lost, they tried to find somewhere but couldn't, not all progress has for the better. BTW I am a fully trained Engineerie thingy too :)