Lightning kits.

Fmk.6john

Evening all,

Since all this talk recently of lightning kits i thought that I would post a little trip down memory lane, this collection is certainly not complete but is a large slice of kit history, hopefully one day I will get round to completing it.

Oh and before we descend into the collect it/build it debate this is my collection and is backed up by my build stash, one that will be attacked with much gusto in the new year! :thumbsup:

Right lets start with the Airfix stuff, from the early years through to the 1/48th kits, hopefully I have them in order.....

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

This is a boxing made soley for the USA, thankfully both pilot and aircraft survived :winkgrin:

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

OK, now some Frog/Novo kits....

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

These are the Matchbox offerings I have.....

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Here is an AMT kit (Matchbox mould) for the American market...

IMG_1319.jpg

MPC also produce this kit which has to be the worst ever, it is the Airfix mould and has 'customizing' parts which include a PROPELLOR!!!! 50 call machine guns and flower decals!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1308.jpg

More to follow..........

JB.

Edited by Fmk.6john

Right lets get the Hasegawa kits going......

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

This is a nice one by UPC (USA) and is a Hasegawa mould with decal options for XP697 (no squadron markings) or XR770 in Saudi marking, most unique....

IMG_1310.jpg

Some revell kits now....

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

Now for some odds and sods......

Merlin Models P.1 multi media kit...

IMG_1298.jpg

Tamia 1/144th kit....

IMG_1299.jpg

Eastern Express kit....

IMG_1311.jpg

Welsh Models 1/144th vac form kit.....

IMG_1329.jpg

Aeroclub vac P.1, still requires donor kit for wings and tailplane though.....

IMG_1330.jpg

And after all that I have missed out photographing two kits sat next to me!!!, a Chematech kit and a BEN kit, will have to add them another day!!!

Hope you enjoyed this little trip, if anyone can fill the gaps with kits I am missing then please drop me a PM.

Regards,

JB.

What amazes me is that all the 1/72nd kits are popped from just two moulds, the Frog and Airfix moulds, talk about thrashing a mould for all it's worth.

Regards,

JB.

Yeah! I bet the quality of the plastic on the earlier kits is a lot better than those from the same mould 40+ years later!! The radome on the Airfix Lightning FMk3 is now almost round!!!

I think we can all agree that the smartest move for any kit manufacturer would be at the moment would be to re-pop the Matchbox T.55 kit with a revised wing and belly to make the RAF T.5.

Now that would outsell everything currently on the market me thinks!

JB.

Edited by Fmk.6john

I think we can all agree that the smartest move for any kit manufacturer would be at the moment would be to re-pop the Matchbox T.55 kit with a revised wing.

JB.

Eh? What mark would that be then John? You'd need a revised whole kit for a T4 or T5!! I think the smartest move(s) would be for Airfix to downsize their 1/48th kits into 1/72nd scale, do a new T4/T5 fuselage for the 1/48th F1/F1a/F2/F3 and for Revell do issue a 1/32nd scale F2!!

Sorry Bill, Stella is making a mess of things at the moment!, yes I can't agree with you more, a T.4/5 kit would fly off the shelves and downsizing the 1/48th kit would knock Trupmys efffort over for sure.

Regards,

JB, hic!

David,

Yes it is!!!, post amended :doh:

JB.

I think we can all agree that the smartest move for any kit manufacturer would be at the moment would be to re-pop the Matchbox T.55 kit with a revised wing and belly to make the RAF T.5.

JB.

Yup, a pair of T-birds would be very welcome, I'm going to attempt a Matchbox T55/Airfix F3 cut n' shut in the near future to do a T5 ,bit like. . . .

PA053787.jpg

. . . But retaining the square top tail obviously!!

. . . Another thing, what's the deal with the Frog and Hasegawa molds? are they the same thing or one based on the other? and was the Hasegawa retooled a while back?

Many thanks for posting John, great trip down memory lane

. . . Kes (who thinks nostagia isn't what it used to be?!?!?!?! Ha!)