Revell 1:48 Dassault Rafale M

The Revell 1:48th Dassault Rafale M kit (85-5842) first released in 2000 has been on the modeling scene for close to ten years now and it's becoming harder to find at the LHS. Also in 2000 Revell of Germany released the Rafale B kit (04549-0689) the two seat version and now with the RoG new tooled Rafale B (4610-0389) in Tiger Meet markings it’s now in the modelers stash. This kit is awesome, upon opening the box you will find excellent surface detail, fine recessed panel lines, tough landing gear, and highly detailed exhaust that are comparable to resin aftermarket sets. I built this kit back in 2000, the fit was good with some areas needing a little more attention, but nothing requiring filler. Test fit, test fit, test fit and you will be rewarded with a straight forward and quick build. I’m now clearing the work bench for the Rafale B. I may post an in-progress thread. Hobby Boss has a line of Rafale kits, but are very expensive and are of less quality.

S4300038.jpg

S4300039-1.jpg

S4300040.jpg

S4300041.jpg

S4300042.jpg

S4300031.jpg

S4300032.jpg

S4300043-1.jpg

S4300044.jpg

If you have been putting off building this kit, trust me you are truly missing out on a fun and quick OOB build. If you don’t have this kit yet, get one, no get two or three…and build em!!! Thanx for looking... Le Vander

Need some motivation…

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/rafale/rafale_all.shtml

Edited by Le Vander
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice clean build, I do intend to build one to compliment a Typhoon, but only if I can find the M version.

What method did you use to bring out the panel lines? It looks right to me. It also shows that OOB is just as good!

Anthony

Anthony, I used an artist oil paint (Lamp Black) thinned with Turpneoid over a couple coats of Future floor wax...I applied the wash directily to the panel lines and rivet detail using a 000 paint brush. Let the wash sit over night, then came back with a paper napkins from "Burger King" to wipe off the excess wash. The napkins are lint free, cost free...ssshh, and don't pull the wash out of the recesses.

Lovely job, looks just right. :)

The Rafale M is on my "to buy" list as we know people who live not far from Landivisiau, it would be a nice reminder of the things that frighten their cattle!

Pete

Edited by Buzby061

Hey Mac what are you doing over hear this Britmodeller !!! :analintruder:

Dude...I started a build thread on a Hawker Hunter and recieved tons of support from modelers who actually maintain the jet, they also pointed me to some great referance sites for the Hunter. So I ask you the same question, and welcome you to Brimodeller. Party over here!!! :cheers:

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I hope it is in the right place.

I started this kit about 8 years ago but through the fogs of time I have lost the nose gear wheels and the canopy, everything else is there.

I have contacted Revell enquiring about replacement parts but this kit has been deleted from their line.

Anybody know of any alternative parts I can use and where I can get them?

I REALLY dont want to throw this beautiful kit away so all help will be gratefully accepted.

Michael

Anthony, I used an artist oil paint (Lamp Black) thinned with Turpneoid over a couple coats of Future floor wax...I applied the wash directily to the panel lines and rivet detail using a 000 paint brush. Let the wash sit over night, then came back with a paper napkins from "Burger King" to wipe off the excess wash. The napkins are lint free, cost free...ssshh, and don't pull the wash out of the recesses.

Finally, something from Burger King that's actually worth having! (That place makes me gag usually). Beautiful work on your M; I have a B in the stash I was going to sell, but now I'm reconsidering!

Andy

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I hope it is in the right place.

I started this kit about 8 years ago but through the fogs of time I have lost the nose gear wheels and the canopy, everything else is there.

I have contacted Revell enquiring about replacement parts but this kit has been deleted from their line.

Anybody know of any alternative parts I can use and where I can get them?

I REALLY dont want to throw this beautiful kit away so all help will be gratefully accepted.

Michael

Hi Michael, the Korean company Ace has this kit out. It is their boxing of what was originally the Revell kit. I recently purchased this kit off of eBay, along with the Revell boxing.

001.jpg

They do have a website - Ace Corporation. If you can contact them, maybe they can provide replacements for what you are missing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...