Room for a Yank here?

Steve N

Hi All,

My name is Steve Nelson, and I live in Battle Creek, Michigan, USA (home of Kellogg Cereals.) I've been building models since I was a kid back in the '70s, and build mostly 1/72 WWII aircraft. I've seen several mentions of this forum over at Aircraft Resource Center, and thought I'd swing by and check this place out. So far I've already learned a fair bit about RAF colors/markings, and shamelessly downloaded a bunch of really cool pics. I've also got a fair number of my own that may prove helpful..and if somebody needs reference detail shots I make regular (once or twice a year) visits to the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio.

Incidentally, my wife Mandie is also a modeller (see..I used the British spelling) and a big fan of Spitfires, particularly the PRU Pink ones! She's also the current president of our local IPMS chapter..or as she calls her office; "High Priestess."

Cheers!

Steve

ps, here are a few of my efforts, all 1/72..

Airfix P-38 converted to a P-322 Lightning I

Lightning02.jpg

Fujimi Ki-55 "Ida" (with Falcon vac-form canopy)

Ki-5501a.jpg

Italeri He 111 (converted from an H to a P)

He-11104.jpg

Italeri C-47, converted to a Showa L2D-2 "Tabby"

07-31-06006.jpg

Monogram 1/48 P-47D..I know the cockpit is the wrong color, but that's Gabreski's actual autograph on the wing!

GabbysP-47small.jpg

Matchbox A-20G, with homemade "heat-n-smash" canopies, new engines and cowls, handpainted nose art and other added details (built about 15 years ago..long before the Czech companies even existed)

07-29-06011.jpg

Monogram F4B-4, converted to a P-12..first biplane I've done since I was a kid, and the last for a long time! (rigged with guitar string)

11-04-08014.jpg

Hasegawa Brewster B-239

12-01-08013.jpg

Airfix Ford 5-AT Trimotor (with homemade vac canopy and most of the strutwork replaced with stryene rod stock)

02-19-09002.jpg

Tamiya Mosquito B.IV

05-10-0902.jpg

And last (and probably least) a Hasegawa "Eggplane" A6M5 Zero, with scratchbuilt cockpit, wheelwells, and other extras. This one shocked me by taking second planes in "Miscellaneous-Military" at the recent IPMS USA National Convention.

05-18-0903.jpg

05-18-0902.jpg

Personally, Steve, I think you'll fit right in (once you've got the idea that there's a "u" in colour, of course ;) ) Once the others find you, they'll come barreling in, to say "hullo." We're (mostly) tolerant, in here; you'll find that you can even mention "Boston" and "tea" in the same sentence. If this thread should suddenly vanish, don't think that you've upset the mods, but there's an "Introduce yourself" section, under the "Chat" heading, and some of them do like things to be tidy.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

If this thread should suddenly vanish, don't think that you've upset the mods, but there's an "Introduce yourself" section, under the "Chat" heading, and some of them do like things to be tidy.

Oops..I may repost over there to preserve decorum. You know how us uncultured colonists are.

you'll find that you can even mention "Boston" and "tea" in the same sentence.

Urgh..if you've been following American politics lately, you'll see that the whole "tea party" thing has become incendiary over here again..but against our own government this time!

SN

Welcome to the asylum Steve! :analintruder::hobbyhorse::hypnotised::bounce::frantic::banghead:

You've got some very nice models there, the Trimotor especially is very eye catching!

Urgh..if you've been following American politics lately, you'll see that the whole "tea party" thing has become incendiary over here again..but against our own government this time!

SN

Yikes, dont mention Politics Steve! :o;):P

Hello Steve.

The Tabby really looks well as does the "Limey-Lightning".

I like your comments on rigging the P-12,a similar tale to myself.Last one I rigged was a Frog 1/72nd Fairey Swordfish,6 hours,about 50 fags and loads of

"blue comments".

Needless to say,I've not done another since then..............................

Welcome aboard old boy.

BTW,very jealous of Frank Gabreski's autograph on that Jug,nice one :thumbsup2: .

Mark :winkgrin:

Howdy Steve, fellow Yank 'ere. These Britt chaps are real nice once you get a hang of their lingo...

Great looking models, I love your Tabby....especially..!! Thanks for sharing.

Here is my Nakajima built (DC-2) in 1/72 using the MPM kit.

a12eb90a.jpg

Welcome Cheers,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS

I love the A6M5 "Eggplane"! Your award says a lot about the logic behind IPMS judging standards - it really highlights the whole concept of model-building basics versus elaborate correcting, detailing, accessorizing, preshading, postshading, and so on and on and on! Well done!

John

Hi Steve N I like the He 111 and the Mosquito, oh and a big welcome :speak_cool:

Of corse you wold say that :)

"I don't understand what you're saying."

"One of the crossbeams has gone out askew on the treadle."

"Well, what on earth does that mean?"

"I don't know - Mr Wentworth just told me to come in here and say that there was trouble at the mill, that's all. I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition."

Sorry, couldn't help it - it just slipped out.

Fetch the COMFY CHAIRS!

Byron

Hi Steve - hail and welcome. 1/72nds not my scale- but hell - who cares 'cus its definitely yours!! lovely builds. Now's there only a few rules here to observe:

In the UK the internet closes at 11 pm each evening, when the national anthem is played via your cell phone ring tone. It comes on again at 5.30 the next morning with Radio 4 Shipping forecast via RSS, and if you have Bluetooth it will turn your kettle on for a cup of tea too.

July 4th is a normal working day, though I would like to have it renamed "Oops we seem to have misplaced a rather large colony day"

We have an extra days holibobs on the 26th December - "Boxing day" - yes you do need to find someone to spar with.

Hope you have fun here!! We need more yanks. - so get yer missus on too! :)

Jonners

Steve,

Welcome aboard.....

Good to have the colonialists returning to the home land.....!

Kellog's, every day, great start to the day for a diabetic...

Do like the Tri Motor particularly..... P38 looks very nice, indeed very nice.....

How about encouraging Mandy to show us a few pictures of her 'Pink ones'... Don't be shy....

Goodness, cannot believe I said that..... But will leave it for entertainment purposes.... Seriously though, Pink PR Spitfires, what a subject.......!

Tell Mandy, that she is free to email me, maybe I can add to pictures of her 'Pink ones'. I also run the Recce SIG and have a few pictures that may prove interesting to her...

[email protected]

Colin