VC10 BOAC

woody37

• 3 weeks later...
While the RAF is still flying VC10s I see absolutely no reason to suffer low energy light bulbs in my house.

We operate them as economically as we can...

...which maybe explains my guilt in having a houseful of low energy light bulbs! :D

Best airliner ever built.

Nice job mate - very nice.

Simply the most beautiful airliner ever built... :hypnotised: all the best, Geoff C.

Beautiful job Neil, and those resin engines really do make a difference don't they.

They do, thanks for letting me rummage through your colection Ant.

Cheers

Neil

Sorry Neil, only just spotted this one.

Lovely job there Matey.

See ya soon.

Chris.

Good to see ya bag on here mate. Hoping to arrange a trip over to flint sometime soon. A guy who has just started in my office lives in Flint too. Small world !

• 5 months later...
Paint was Halfords appliance white gloss, Halfords primer and Revel SM371 for the grey bits.Glossed with Humbrol hobby spray and finished with Klear after the decals.

What was the VC7 ?

Love the old Airfix models. Whilst they aren't known for their accuracy, they always seem to come up well after an attack of the filler and a dose of sanding.

Cheers

Woody,

VC7 was a civil version of the Vickers V.1000, a four-Conway transport proposed in the mid-1950s to operate in support of the RAF's V-bombers, with a comparable performance. The design was based on that of the Valiant, with a compound-sweep wing with the engines buried in the roots and slotted flaps married to a circular-sectionn pressurised fuselage with seating for over 100 (120?) passengers. The tail unit was conventional, with a variable-incidence tailplane set on the rear fuselage and a conventional swept fin and rudder. Flying controls were to be fully powered and, for RAF use, a hydraulic freight lift was incorporated into the rar fuselage. A prototype was ordered and six production aircraft for the RAF. The aeroplane was pitched at BOAC for its trans-Atlantic routes and some interest was expressed. However politics (sound familiar?) got in the way: BOAC got cold feet after the Comet tragedies and delays with the Britannia. Their position was that the Conway in a buried installation could not produce the 22,500lb thrust needed for trans-Atlantic operations, even though just such an installation did produce that amount of oomph for the HP Victor. The result was predictable: the Treasury faced with supporting all of the development costs, including those of the engine, pulled the plugs. Trans Canada Airlines had also exprerssed an interest, but by the time that they were in a position to do anything about it the 80% complete prototype (XD662 I think) had been cut into 20-foot long chunks and shipped off to Shoeburyness to be shot to ****: the jigs and tools were also cut into little bits for turning into Ford Anglias (or something like).

VC7/V.1000 would probably have looked very handsome in BOAC and Transport Command colours, not to mention several other airlines (Air France and TWA spring to mind as being quite striking).

There are some model photographs in the late Derek Woods' "Project Cancelled" and one or two of the nearly-completed prototype. There are also some, IIRC, in the Crowood VC-10 book if you want to cry yourself to sleep one night.

IIRC the "baby brother" VC-10 for BEA was the VC-11, but I may be wrong.

I hope I haven't gone on too long, but VC7/V.1000 is another in a long litany of "what should have been" and would make a splendid "what if".

Steve

Probably the Frog kit. They go for rather good money on e-bay now!

Lovely VC-10 Woody, I really like that! :thumbsup: Really must get one of mine done.....

Keef

Sorry, I have been a bit slow noticing this excellent thread, but I thought you guys might find these photos of interest. I picked it up for a tenner when my LMS unfortunately closed for good after Xmas. It is not complete unfortunately but I am hoping to scratchbuild or bodge the missing parts and do it wheels up on it's stand (unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse for it, hint, hint!!)...

Revell052.jpg

Revell053.jpg

Revell054.jpg

Revell055.jpg

Revell057.jpg

Revell058.jpg

Cheers

Al.