Canberra questions

smeds

Why do we see Canberra's with the elevators in the up position ? surely down is correct !

Anyone know what colour the bomb bay of a B(I)8 was please.

Can you tell I know diddly squat about the Canberra !!!

Cheers

smeds

Why do we see Canberra's with the elevators in the up position ? surely down is correct !

Anyone know what colour the bomb bay of a B(I)8 was please.

Can you tell I know diddly squat about the Canberra !!!

Cheers

smeds

you beat me too it! i guess you have bought the 1/72 airfix kit, i picked one up the other day,

also does anyone knoe the under wing missiles colour

thanks

Hi smeds

Bomb bay should be silver on RAF 8's, export ones would have started silver too, but would most probably have been repainted white after major refurbishment. The elevators can be up or down I've seen just as many up as down, I think it all depends on how the pilot has them when they are locked.

John

Edited by canberra kid

Ta muchly folks.

BTW I'm building the Airfix 1/48 B(I)8. Gonna have the bomb bay open with 4 1000lb'ers loaded up and one under each wing. Probably do the kits option of 16 Squadron with sharksmouth. Have'nt done the tailplane mod, but on the next couple maybe.

smeds

Can't tell you WHY, but every Canberra I have seen on the ground, powered down with the locks off, has had elevators in the up position. I surmise effective mass balances.

The elevators do have rather hefty counter weights in them, and all unlocked elevators I have seen have always been up.

Bexy

When the locks are in the elevators are level with the tailplane.

Sorry I should clarify what I said, when the ground locks are in place the elevators are indeed level, but I've seen aircraft parked with the ejector seat leg restraints wrapped around the control column when the locks aren't fitted. So the deflection depends on how they were at the time the driver tied them off.

John

Ejection seat leg restraints are wrapped around the control column for the pilots benefit. If they were just left on the floor he would not be able to reach them on strap in.

You will see this on most British jets. I know that on the Hawk for instance, the leg restraints are pushed between the instrument bezels on the main instrument panels for the same reason as above. Its done by the ground crews on flight servivings.

Its got nothing to do with "locking" the column / elevators.

smeds

I've Just had a long hard look at my Canberra photo's, and yes the vast majority of British Canberra's do have the the elevators pointing down, but not exclusively, and just to throw a Canberra shaped spanner in the works the B.57 displays the opposite trait! :wall:

Edited by canberra kid

• 1 month later...
I've Just had a long hard look at my Canberra photo's, and yes the vast majority of British Canberra's do have the the elevators pointing down, but not exclusively, and just to throw a Canberra shaped spanner in the works the B.57 displays the opposite trait! :wall:

Canberra elevators are non powered and operated via control rods direct from the control column. The elevators are heavily mass balanced and on the ground will adopt an elevator up at the trailing edge position. With elevator ground locks fitted and these are quite large alloy affairs painted red and flagged, fitted mid way along the elevators just outboard of the trim tabs. The T4 had a lock that held the instructors seat in the rear stowed position and this lock I seem to remember was attached to the lower area of the control column. This seems to place the elevators in a different position from neutral with the elevator trailing edge downwards. Rule of thumb then: all marks except T4 without elevator locks fitted then elevators in the up position.

HTH.

Les.B.