1/32 Tamiya Spifire IX

Gary C

so JE-J and AU-G will be two of the decal options then. Looking at the pic of the 'box art'

I'm not a 1/32 scale modeller - for reasons of space. I'll make an exception for this.

Sometimes there is a pleasure and beauty in the assemble of a model that just falls together. The rejoicing in the sheer perfection of fit and the enjoyment of the engineering that make sit go together. I thinks its a very Japanese thing, but it aint half enjoyable. I know its not out yet - but WE all know it will be a joy to build.

Jonners - with a BIG Spit to save for....

They "got away" with an F-14 at £100+ several years ago, and it's still selling. And don't forget that Tamiya don't set a price, it's Tamiya + importer's mark-up + shop's mark-up + HMG's 15% VAT mark-up.

Edgar

One comment. It is my understanding that the oxygen bottle in the Mk-IX and later Spit models was not located on the starboard side immediately behind the pilot but rather further back in the tail and not visible through the cockpit transparencies.

One comment. It is my understanding that the oxygen bottle in the Mk-IX and later Spit models was not located on the starboard side immediately behind the pilot but rather further back in the tail and not visible through the cockpit transparencies.

Well thats it - its unbuildable!! fatal flaw!! BIG :)

Jonners - sorry couldnt resist.

For reasons of space (plus the fact that for that price 'the other half' would want a trollyfull of food things fromTesco) sadly I won't be indulging. However, the pic at the beginning of the thread shows a Tr.9...............Surely not even Tamiya are that adventurous are they?

:analintruder:

Isn't it odd the sorts of minor things people pick up on... The Hasegawa 1/48th Mk.IX, which I'm not saying is any more accurate inside, features the bottle in the same place. While the layout in the PCM 1/32nd kit is lifted straight from the Hase Vb on which it was based. And nobody has batted an eyelid...

Late XIs and high-back XVIs could be fitted with an auxiliary 25 Gal tank directly behind the cockpit so I expect the layout will vary somewhat depending on exactly which sub-variant is being represented.

As for comments about price, well Trumpeter want you to pay almost 100 quid for 1/32nd scale kits of RAF jets that only just pass muster at a distance, I'll reserve final judgement until I have the kit in my hands but if this turns out to be as good as the previous Zeros then hell yes, I'll pay 100 quid for a decent Spitfire Mk.IX in 1/32nd scale.

I say bring 'em on!

Well, Obi-Jiff Kenobi, you want to see a 1/24 Airfix Spit IXc???? The following is one I built a number of years ago. Actually, most parts were sourced from Airfix's Spit, Mustang and Hurricane kits plus a smattering of other odds-and-sods from other kits topped off with a bit of scratch building. Given I could do it largely from Airfix parts, I can't see why it would be a major chore for Airfix to cobble together a Mk-IX kit.

Spit.jpg

Maybe "bigger" is "better".... :bouncy: Nice model, great looking details...

Cheers,

ggc

It _could_ be the same as the Eduard; Tamiya does re-box other people's moulds for the Japanese market. Or they could have worked together as a "joint venture"...

It's just joined my (expensive) "must get" list, alongside the Airfix Mossie... ;-(

bestest,

M.

Not a chance in hell. First, Tamiya has an agreement with Italeri only, and they've had that for many years. Second, the pics that have showed up are not an Eduard kit, they're a Tamiya kit through and through.

And still we wait for a decent 1/32 P-51...

J

Well, Obi-Jiff Kenobi, you want to see a 1/24 Airfix Spit IXc???? The following is one I built a number of years ago. Actually, most parts were sourced from Airfix's Spit, Mustang and Hurricane kits plus a smattering of other odds-and-sods from other kits topped off with a bit of scratch building. Given I could do it largely from Airfix parts, I can't see why it would be a major chore for Airfix to cobble together a Mk-IX kit.

Spit.jpg

Jeesus man- have you no shame..? :goodjob:

Sorry,i'm late......

Bloody Hell !! Even i did NOT expect to see this one coming !!

:shocked::sleep_1::frantic::whistle::worthy::yahoo::clap2:

Hopefully,it will be a "reasonable" price. :shrug: (better start saving... :crying: )

You just CANNOT knock Tamiya,for their Quality Control,etc.

So expect a good kit,so far the description's "ticked all the right boxes".

Here's anticipating.....

Cheers,Bazza.

Isn't it odd how, if a load of nonsense is repeated often enough, it becomes a "truth." Anyone talking to Ken Lawrence, at last year's Telford show, would have found that he's still steaming about this slur, since his mould-makers went to a museum aircraft for the detail work. Lay the fuselage halves together, and the panel lines, between the firewall and transport joint, do not match. The cockpit walls do not match (if they did, the pipes, on the starboard wall, from the redundant cannon cocking system, correctly displayed on the Hasegawa kit, would be visible in the PCM kit, and they're not,) in fact, also quite correctly, there is no oxygen bottle, at all, in the PCM kit, and it would be there, if the Hasegawa kit had been copied. Plus, again quite correctly, PCM's kit has no bulbous headrest, just a flat plate, the retaining straps are missing from the rudder pedals, and the remote contactor, supplied by Hasegawa, is missing (quite correctly for late IXs) from the PCM kit. PCM's seat has the lozenge-shaped depression, for the dinghy air bottle, Hasegawa's does not.

Ken can steam all he wants, I have 'discussed' the origins of the tooling for the PCM kit with him on other forums, no 'slur' is intended on my part, the Hase Vb has long been the staple Spit in this scale and the basis of countless aftermarket conversion for many years, it's not perfect and never will be but its very old so what is to be expected? Why would anyone see it as a 'slur'?

As for Ken telling everyone that is patternmakers went to a museum, well I don't doubt it, that would be why the kit has a lovely pre-painted post-war Spanish harness, just because all the details have been re-worked and improved it doesn't mean that the heritage of the main mouldings isn't apparent if you look.

But lets not get into a spat about it Edgar, the PCM kit is excellent for a short-run product, thats why I have 3 of them, instead lets just enjoy the simple fact that the worlds premier plastic model manufacturer is producing an all-new, state-of-the-art kit of the most attractive variant of the Spitfire. Life is good...

Regards.

"Influenced by" is an expression with which I'd have no argument, after all, the Hasegawa Vb has been a yardstick for many years; it's the word "copy" to which I object, and it's continually flung about (on other sites, it's true) by people who should know better. As you say, no falling out over this one.

Edgar

"Influenced by" is an expression with which I'd have no argument, after all, the Hasegawa Vb has been a yardstick for many years; it's the word "copy" to which I object, and it's continually flung about (on other sites, it's true) by people who should know better. As you say, no falling out over this one.

Edgar

I'm happy to live with that Edgar, please note that I did not say 'copy', I said 'on which it was based'... And of course another aspect arises from this new kit announcement too, I'm now far more likely to chop up a 40 quid Spitfire Mk.IX kit to make a Mk.XIV than I am a 100 quid kit!

One can never have enough Spitfire kits, no matter where they started life :-)

Regards.

Well, Obi-Jiff Kenobi, you want to see a 1/24 Airfix Spit IXc???? The following is one I built a number of years ago.

Spit.jpg

I remember that at the time. Stunning piece of work, which propelled me through the effort of making my own 1/48 early IX out of a Gartex / Hasegawa Vc kit and the nose of an Otaki VIII. I had it much easier than you...

The early IX is my favourite Spitfire (except on the days when it's a B of B Ia, or a PR.XIX...) I have a bunch of 1/32 Hasegawas Vbs in stock with various long term conversion sets, and the PCM IX, and I didn't think I needed any more 1/32 Spits, but I just know I am going to have to buy this, even though my head says no.

Nice job and looks familiar. Did it appear in Scale Models International in the 1990s? I recall that the propeller blades were 1/24 Hurricane items extended with plastic card and that some of the markings came from the 1/24 Mustang.

Joseph