EH101-111 HMA Mk1 (Revell 1/72nd)

Grant

During a hot'n'high trial at Buena Vista, Colorado in 2002 the Naval EH101 airframe on the trial was carrying a lot of icing trial markings from a previous trial. Silly me has decided to make a model of it!

Here she is on arrival.

pic_0.jpg

The extra effort starts inside, where the test instrumentation rig and a couple of seats for the flight engineers is required.

pic_1.jpg

pic_2.jpg

And here it is slotted into the port fuselage half. Note the blanking plates inside the various intakes, and also the live pictures from the space station on PDA. That technology just blows me away. There I am modelling away, watching live footage from space across the web and wirelessly up to my PDA. Awesome.

pic_3.jpg

Here is the other half with the top deck and 'gearbox'. The insides are chromate green because a lot of stuff was stripped out of the aircraft, to reduce the weight for the tethered hover testing that formed part of the trial, and this included a lot of the interior sound proofing and partitions. Hence no door on the rear console.

pic_4.jpg

And then the real nonsense begins with the blades. First painted white, then added 4 little bits of tamyia tape on each blade before painting yellow. I then get to mask little dashes, top and bottom, at 10% radius intervals and a large L-type marking at 60% radius, before painting the leading edge red and finally the whole blade green. I hope I can make it work!

pic_5.jpg

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant

Good to see you back with us Grant :) You've really got the insider info on this build... looks good so far! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike. With the interweb Nazis in full swing at work I am missing my lunchtime BM fix, and I don't always get time of an evening.

As for the 'insider' tag, it is still only me building it! I could do with finding the notes I made about what was right and wrong with the models when they came out - it is around here somewhere. But I hope the paint job will work out and it should be a colourful model.

cheers

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress so far, but with only 15 days until Yeovilton, I need to step up the pace a little!

Got the fuselage joined, sort of. This is the 3rd one I have built and I have yet to get the floor to sit right as I (try) and join the fuselage. Would you look at the size of that gap!

pic_6.jpg

pic_7.jpg

And now the saga of the blades... Got the masks on for the yellow markings, painted red and masked that ready for the green. OK so far.

pic_8.jpg

But the green went on really strangely, wouldn't settle near the masking tape.

Initially the unmasking went well, and just a few bits needed touching up, but in the end it didn't look good enough, neat enough, on all blades. I think decal will do a better, neater job - so I shall be starting again with another set of blades, Doh!

pic_9.jpg

Here's hoping there is enough time.

cheers

Grant