a trip this morning to AEROVENTURE doncaster

Mark M

Some nice shots Mark, I havn't been there since we moved 897, whats that strange shiny thing in the sky??.

Regards,

JB.

That strange shiny thing!!(desperatly looks for a sunshine smilie), all I managed to get on a day out is :raincloud: .

Looks like it's an indian summer for us!!

Any more pics to post?, might go there myself next week.

Regards,

JB.

Hi Mark,

Great photos and some really interesting ones too, thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

Oh, got anything Canberra related :pray:

And heres the one you missed a tag in post 5.

100_1089.jpg

Bexy

Hi Mark,

Great photos and some really interesting ones too, thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

Oh, got anything Canberra related :pray:

And heres the one you missed a tag in post 5.

100_1089.jpg

Bexy

thanks ex, i havent got any good canberra snaps from doncaster but i tink i have a few from newark if you want them

thanks ex, i havent got any good canberra snaps from doncaster but i tink i have a few from newark if you want them

Hi Mark,

Youre most welcome :thumbsup2: Any Canberra photos you have would be wonderful, adds to my reference file nicely :worthy:

Bexy

Guess it's horses for courses, but I was disappointed, went two weeks ago and was only there an hour, I find cockpit sections a little sad, like the plane has died... and it's mainly sections there.

Maybe I'm just spoilt by Newark, which is also close by. I'm glad I've been, but doubt I'll return, whereas I could keep going back to Newark.

Dan

But maybe not to Newarks annual Cockpitfest then ?

Yes, becuase the cockpits there tend to be in *good* condition. I am not saying that all of the ones at Doncaster are not, but many are not. I speak of things such as the Vulcan cockpit which is just sat there with a fence around it, looks sad... Now, I know it only has finite money available, and of course I would much rather see things there than not at all, I was just pointing out that I was dissapointed after reading (on this very forum on posts quite old) how great it was, and I didn't find that.

I did start my post with the 'horses for courses' caveat, which I strongly believe in, but I think its fair I add my views to this post, so anyone thinking of going gets a balanced view. I must also say that reading my own posts would not have stopped me going, as I like to make my own mind up, as everyone should.

Dan

Nice pictures Mark :)

I really like Aeroventure.

Used to love to go to the Heritage model show in early April (up to a couple of years ago) then they stopped holding the show for some reason :shrug: - combine the model show with the museum and you had a really good day out :thumbsup:

Does anyone know why they stopped holding model shows here?

Karl

Edited by Karl

ok, bex i only have 2 canberra's both from newark not the best photos but here they are, im back there in a few weeks ill get some more

Picture016.jpg

Picture040.jpg

i dont have buc photos and only these few of the jag

100_1076.jpg

100_1077.jpg

newark is a fab museum, but has few helicopters, so both museums make up for each other i guess, either way both are restoring planes / heli's and thats what matters and they both have godd model shops!

I must say that I do like Aeroventure and the people there are extremely nice, but whilst certain parts of the museum are superb....ie indoors and especially the recent Gazelle restoration which was a shell at one point!..... other areas do tend to have a feeling of a scrapyard about them, one of which is right next to the car part and main entrance.....especially the area where the Lightnings and Gannet are parked which isn`t really a good advert for the museum as these aircraft have been in a dismantled and part restored condition for quite a few years now.

I can understand the rear areas behind the hangar having a scrap yard feel to them as it is a storage area for future restoration projects but not the front of the museum and whilst they may be strapped for space the feeling is that they may just have taken too much on for their resources to handle.

Don`t get me wrong, I am a regular visitor to Aeroventure and totally understand their position but I just thought that I would `air' my views too,

All the best

Tony O

tony, i think your right the first time i saw the museum, the state of the front did put me off, but after several comments and threads on here i went back to have a proper look, and was glad i did, if i haddnt have been on here (brtimodller) i would never had gone back, so i could see why it would put people off. it would be nice to see all the aircraft restored but a guess time and money is against them, but its worth it if they restore all of them eventually to the stardards they are steeting at the moment, i certainly will be back

Nice pictures Mark :)

I really like Aeroventure.

Used to love to go to the Heritage model show in early April (up to a couple of years ago) then they stopped holding the show for some reason :shrug: - combine the model show with the museum and you had a really good day out :thumbsup:

Does anyone know why they stopped holding model shows here?

Karl

I understand the shows stopped due to a lack of volunteers to organise it. Hopefully they'll be one next year.

They did a series of talks on Saturday eveniongs that were realy interesting: S/Ldr Jerry Pook on Flying Harriers in the Falklands, then later on flying fast Jets in the RAF, Mike McAvoy on flying Hunters and then his life as an air traffic controller and as a modeller, and a talk by a chap whose name I forget on flying Phantoms in RAFG. These stopped due to a lack of support but they hope to bring them back later.

A great place to go but it does need a bit of a polish presentationwise.

• 2 weeks later...