Have Airfix introduced a new 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IX?

Doug

Hi there,if some of you recall,i grumbled that my LHS didn't YET, :undecided:

have the,new,Mk IXc in stock,well it's happening in several places,went to Southend,& asked the shop proprieter,

"When are the Spit's in??" their response was, "They haven't arrived,yet !!" :shocked::rant::wall:

So,Airfix DO have a distribution problem,with regards to supply & demand.....!! :shithappens:

Cheers,Bazza.

Bloody James May and his programme eh Baz??

...and how much pocket money do kids get these days?

I was in my local HobbyCraft this morning, there were a group of kids, fresh from Sunday morning football (still wearing their kit) each buying 2-3 kits each. One even had a shopping basket full of revell and airfix kits.

I did of course look to see if they had the IX, but they were running pretty low on all 1/72 aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple and they look really good for the money. From the box, the examples here look quite nice.

I was going to do an early and a later Mk IX to start. I can live with the wing chord, nose shape and most other items covered here.

Just about any kit can be improved, so, summarising the problems in order of visibility.

1. Propeller too skinny in the blades

2. Exhuasts not right shape.

Red Roo 'front-end kit' (propeller and exhausts) should fix this.

3. Radiators maybe too narrow?

4. Interior absent.

Scratch-build interior (using Tamiya 1/32 as a guide lol), Pavla or spare CMR vacform canopy and add to radiator width.

5. Early Mk IX - remove undercarriage hump on upper wing, replace cannon bulge and backdate elevators.

6. Late Mk IX - four-spoke wheels.

What else would you do?

I've decided to just build mine as a quick, fun build to get over my modellers block. I bought it with the intention of detailing up as I'm sure Quickboost etc will bring out detailing sets soon enought, but then I'll just build another one!

No pictures as yet but I'll be priming it tonight. It's gone together very well so far. Some filler needed, especially where I've cut parts off the oversized sprue attachements.

Even if it's not spot-on for accuracy, I'm still really looking forward to this kit as an easy to build, cheap and accurate-enough option to build a bunch of different colour schemes with. If I want a close-to-perfectly-accurate and highly detailed Mk. IX, I'll build a few of the CMR kits, but this looks like a great option for representing a broad cross-section of the Spit's operational career.

Now if only they'd get it in stock this side of the pond, the guy at my LHS says he'll likely get it in sometime in January and the big U.S. online hobby shops don't seem to have it yet either... :fraidnot:

Ayup Doug...

Down Below, Here's my New Spit MK IX with 'That Godawful One' Airfix made 'Years and Years ago'... shame the Stripe Decals aren't as good as the 60 yr old (or so) ones i used on the other... I had to paint them in the end. *cry*

This one Scrubbed up nice, din' it?

IMAG0026-2.jpg

And Both...

IMAG0023-2.jpg

And before you all go on, the first was OK for quite a long while,wasn't it ?

Edited by Fea

Hi All,

Don't mean to hi-jack this but i've just got the Mk IX and bit disappointed with the interior, does anyone know where i can get one from, or modify a detail set for another manufacturers kit. The only new one is by Pavla but that's for the PRMkXIX,

Can anyone help please.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...