Have Airfix introduced a new 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IX?

Doug

glad Airfix put a better prop in- i know diddly squit about Spitfires but spotted that in they looked weird.

Have the starboard panel lines aft of the cockpit been sorted- there was discussion that the fuselage halves were a mirror immage but should not be.

The left fuselage half has the outline of the entry door and a hatch aft of the cockpit, and the right half has no entry door and has a hatch closer to the tail - that looks like they have corrected it. The small half-circular panel is on both sides of the nose side cowling, and the bulges on the cowling are not symmetrical - there is one for the Coffman starter on the left and one softer bulge a little lower on the right plus a scoop on the right side of the top cowling. The small circular panel on the wing fillet aft of the cockpit is there on both sides and it looks the same on both (left one should have a squarish hinge). There are no fasteners on the cowling panels. Some of the small bumps on the cowling are missing.

The fabric detail on the elevators is nice and restrained, and just slightly more pronounced on the rudder. Much better than on the Airfix 1/48 Mk.IXc kit.

Wing tops have the post-war wheel bulges.

The aileron hinge line on the top of the wing is just barely behind the line on the bottom - it should be more noticeable. This is wrong on PR.XIX (the lines are in the same place) - Spitfire had Frise ailerons that are deeper on the bottom. The gull-wing is there and looks OK.

There is also no fuel filler cap in front of the cockpit, but (strangely) there is a tiny hole in there.

Edited by Vladan Dugaric

Same as on the PRXIX with the filler cap which nicely reminds me to rescribe having filled the hole in.

Thanks for the posts and descriptions Vladan :D

Airfix do seem to have modified things from the boxing i saw earlier this year.

I guess the only thing is they didn't change is the figure, i guess he could be a BBMF pilot :pilot:

Thanks a lot for the reviews and pics gentlemen. Most appreciated.

I however see the wheel wells are still not fully boxed in, and the propeller blades still look skinny, at least from here.

Glad the kit has finally been released and hope the one I had on preorder arrives soon.

All the best,

Jorge.

Thanks Vladan :D

tried to check which option other than JE J it was but the Airfix site was still down :rolleyes:

i really like the Polish one

Hi Jorge

the blades may be skinny but are an improvement on what was before imho. Well done Airfix for sorting out the issues before releasing the kit.

Thanks Vladan :D

tried to check which option other than JE J it was but the Airfix site was still down :rolleyes:

i really like the Polish one

Hi Walrus - it says on the side of the box in Vladans excellent scan above....!! :whistle::D (ZX-6 a/c of Sqn Ldr Stanislaw Stalski O.C. of the Polish Fighting Team)

Keef

Hi All,

I had no idea when I started this thread that it would generate such a response, but glad I did ask it all the same. Have to say I would love to see one of these built up as it looks very much like the Corgi die cast, as did the PR.XIX, wonder if they have all come from the Corgi moulds, just plastic injection rather than Metal. It may explain the thickness of the canopies and the heavy panel lines? (Mind you I don't care still so much better than that original Mk.IX)

Doug.

Hoo-hoo.

Get that pointy rudder and big chin mould fired up Wooksta :frantic:

Mark

i THINK the "big chin" is ACTUALLY included !!

As there are two carburetter intakes on one of the sprues.....!! :unsure::doh:

It's the "pointy-fin" we REALLY need !!

Thanks for those pics,BTW,excellent work !! :clap::beer:

The Spitty IX break-down is so similar to the previously released Mk's I,& V's,i could do it in my sleep !! :sleeping:

Cheers,Bazza.

Edited by Bazza

Baz, Miggers meant the deep chin for the PR types.

IF I have some free time over the next week, I may get some rudders cast in time for Telford, but as I have a massive build programme underway I can't promise anything. I'll see what I can do.

The decal sheet looks worth the entry price alone!

Baz, Miggers meant the deep chin for the PR types.

IF I have some free time over the next week, I may get some rudders cast in time for Telford, but as I have a massive build programme underway I can't promise anything. I'll see what I can do.

The decal sheet looks worth the entry price alone!

Thanks for that,sorry,i got confused !! "D'oh !!"

i agree,DO them 'n' all !!

Cheers,Bazza.

Edited by Bazza

Looks rather nice, if a bit of a shame about the ailerons. Must ring Mark tomorrow to find out if Transport Models has it in yet.

Sadly: the Polish option should have the bigger bulge over both cannon bays. I suspect Vasco Barbic's article in Air Enthusiast will help with finer details that can be added for such an early example. Also, wasn't JEJ an e wing by the time D-Day came around? It was when on a Normandy strip very soon after. So make it without the stripes.

Hi All,

I had no idea when I started this thread that it would generate such a response, but glad I did ask it all the same. Have to say I would love to see one of these built up as it looks very much like the Corgi die cast, as did the PR.XIX, wonder if they have all come from the Corgi moulds, just plastic injection rather than Metal. It may explain the thickness of the canopies and the heavy panel lines? (Mind you I don't care still so much better than that original Mk.IX)

Doug.

I thought to canopy on my PR.XIX was great, after a dip in Klear it looks... well... very Clear.

Dan

If any of you guys have the Hasegawa spit ix, then you have a pointed rudder in the box ready to use.i just offered it up and it fits......Neil

The Italeri Spit IX also has a separate pointy rudder IRRC - I might get around to finishing mine that I started a near-decade back, finish it Jean Pierre's nice decals for French Spits.