Have Airfix introduced a new 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IX?

Doug

So it looks like I'll be annoying the Modelzone staff on Grainger Street for th next month!

Also looking forward to the Hurricane, especially given the sprue shots elsewhere on t'interweb.

I shall certainly be on the hunt for it.

Just a thought Wooks,you've got your mould ready to do a big rudder(I shall be after one of those once I get my mitts on the IX)

,how about a mould to do a big "chin" for the Merlin PR's.

What I'm thinking is to use the PR "wet wing" from the PR.19 with the new IX fuselage,one of your big rudders

and a big chin( :whistle: )to do a nice PR XI to go with my Airfix PR.19.

The spare bits from the XIX and IX could be combined to do a nice XIV which would look very tasty done as

RR's XIV in her "civvies" as G-ALGT in the late '60's

Mark

OT for this thread but the new artwork for the Hannover is fantastic!

Isn't it just! Personally I like the way the new stuff is packaged and the quality of the box art is excellent.

still haven't got a hawk or two yet

Stop faffing about :rolleyes: they're very good.

peebeep

Just a thought Wooks,you've got your mould ready to do a big rudder(I shall be after one of those once I get my mitts on the IX)

,how about a mould to do a big "chin" for the Merlin PR's.

I've a mould to play with, I just haven't the time to create a master unless I hack the nose off an MPM XI!

I've a mould to play with, I just haven't the time to create a master unless I hack the nose off an MPM XI!

OT,i too wouldn't mind a PR XI,nose....!!(not LITERALLY,chaps!!). :evil_laugh:

i'll be keeping tabs on that,as i bought a fantastic book,on PR Spits,by Model Alliance !!

(Peebeep's jealous,i think !!)

Plenty of unusual Spitfires,& schemes to play with. :thumbsup:

Cheers,Bazza.

Yep, looks like a winner to me, I'll have one or two, Who'd have thought just a while back that Airfix would redo a Spit IX with all the competition out there? Looking at what's available in kit form from mainstream and short run kit manufacturers, there can't be many things we can't have in our prefered scale, We really are in a second Golden Age of plastic modelling with kids of the 60's and 70's first age now all grown up with time on their hands and dispoable income burning a hole in the pocket, a lot of us driven by nostalgia or youth recapturing mid life crisis, what better way to cure those ill's with a trip to the ol' LMS to find the old fella is still there twenty years later!! And as for the new Spit IX? Despite 'perceived' errors which are of no consequence to me in the same way they we're all those years ago. Wether a model is built OOB or after marketed or/and scratch built to the n' degree of accuracy it's down to the individual, what I don't like is modellers who insist the MUST be corrected!! Not to me they don't, it's what I and each individual modeller is happy with which matters most, I have a great admiration for super detaillers with thier great skill and patience, same with weathering, preshading, panel line enhancment etc. Very clever, but it just doesn't look right to me, spoils it a bit (Just my opinion, I'm not saying it's wrong) I just prefer the 'showroom' look, maybe one or two detail enhancements, just to make it unique to me? This internet forum thingy has brought what used to be for the most part a private and individual hobby to their peers and contemporaries who do for the most part judge our perfomance with thier input which raises the bar a bit for us all, but is it really worth falling out over what is essentially a nicely shaped set of plastic parts. and outside the modelling community, who'd know?

. . . Kes (who's feeling philosophical today!!)

As a now departed (and much-missed) member of a certain Usenet modelling forum used to say "Build what you want, the way you want it...."

and as another member used to reply to him "... and the critics will flame you everytime!"

Airfix have released their BBMF Fighter set today. I thought they would have waited so they could include this new mould as the base for MK356? Does this mean another outing for the original JE-J mould or have Airfix reboxed Italeri's effort?

Airfix have released their BBMF Fighter set today. I thought they would have waited so they could include this new mould as the base for MK356? Does this mean another outing for the original JE-J mould or have Airfix reboxed Italeri's effort?

I suspect THAT set is the raison d'etre behind Airfix doing a PRXIX and a mk IX and a new Hurricane II as longer term they won't have to relyon other peoples moulds for Hurricanes and Spitfires - I wonder if the Hurri in the new set is the new Airfix or the Heller one (As in the BBMF set)

Just found this:

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/airc...a50065/gallery/

sure it can't be the original JEJ mould as the model here has the pointed rudder, so unless Airfix have modified their mould I suspect this would be the Italeri mould? The mk V looks like it may be the Airfix mould but with added 6 stub exhauts and 4 blade prop to reflect the condition of AB910 at present, could be wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...
Just found this:

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/airc...a50065/gallery/

sure it can't be the original JEJ mould as the model here has the pointed rudder, so unless Airfix have modified their mould I suspect this would be the Italeri mould? The mk V looks like it may be the Airfix mould but with added 6 stub exhauts and 4 blade prop to reflect the condition of AB910 at present, could be wrong though.

Why do Airfix continually shoot themselves in the foot with these stupid sets? The paints are pretty mush useless to do one aircraft, let alone five and just bump up the price. I'd like one of their Vbs but I'm not paying the price of the kit again to get the paints and glue which I don't need and certainly don't want! It's the same with the Vulcan and several other kits. What is the bloody point, apart from annoying modellers who wouyld otherwise part with their cash?

Hopefully the cockpit detail will resemble the XIX, which I think is great for 1/72, out of the box, for a fiver. The canopy is also brilliant, and it is the first time I have actually thought it worthwhile spending effort on a 1/72 cockpit with a closed canopy, as you can see so much through it.

Dan

Edited by Daniel

Why do Airfix continually shoot themselves in the foot with these stupid sets?

Because they make lots of money out of them? Horses for courses marketing as I see it, but it is very annoying if you're only interested in the kit and not the Little Johnny paints, cement, brush etc.

peebeep

Hopefully the cockpit detail will resemble the XIX, which I think is great for 1/72, out of the box, for a fiver. The canopy is also brilliant, and it is the first time I have actually thought it worthwhile spending effort on a 1/72 cockpit with a closed canopy, as you can see so much through it.

Dan

Unless they're adding another sprue whilst they're sorting out the fuselage panel errors, don't bank on it. The interior is pretty sparse judging by the test shot Tony O'Toole posted

a while back.

Dan

You'll see a damn sight more with the IX because you can open the cockpit door as well as the hood for starters.

I personally though that although Pavla's resin 'pit and internal bits for the XIX looked very nice,

they were useless on an a/c that hasn't got a cockpit door(although as Wooksta mentioned,you could do an early XIX

without cockpit pressurisation and so model an open door).

With the XIX,I thought the 'pit OOB was just sufficient(a panel decal would have been good though)with the hood closed.

I didn't go to town with mine,just carefully painted it and fitted the dessicant tube on the bulkhead before closing the fuse up.

Mark

Wooksta,

Thats a shame, still give me something to have a go at modelling.

Mark,

Agree regarding a decal, that would have added how much cost. However, I refuse to moan too much about a kit that costs a fiver, and is rather good for that price. A also just painted, but added some belts too. I am looking forward to the IX, got some good schemes to do...

Dan

It's here !

Been to Modelzone at Holborn and the new IX is in the shops. Kit is a new tooling with recessed lines with decals for JE J with invasion stripes from 144 Wing and ZX 6 from 145 Squadron.

Robert

Thanks Robert.

I agree, Airfix should be thankful to the man with the spaniel haircut. Now everyone is going to want an Airfix Spitfire. I do hope they've made enough for me!

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi

So,they're in,now....??

Hopefully,my LMS will be texting me with the news,i most want to hear....

"Dear Mr Porter your Airfix Spitfire IX,is in." :please::pray::deadhorse::frantic:

Cheers,Bazza

I got two in Modelzone today.

The panel lines are similar to the ones in the new PR.XIX and Hawk - a little heavy but not Matchbox style.

The decals are nice, but the roundel red is a little too dark and dot pattern is visible on close inspection (decals are offset printed). They are nice and thin and glossy, and in register. The white under the light colours is a little smaller than the coloured area above (noticeable on yellow areas on fuselage roundels and wing leading edges, and sky JE-J and tail band). In general, much better than recent (and earlier) Airfix decals, but not to Cartograf standard. C'mon Airfix, put Cartograf decals into all new kits, not just the Airfix club ones!

There was some word on the forums that the delay in Mk.IX release was due to some retooling - well I can see where they retooled: the propeller blades are more or less correct now (but the instructions still show the butter-knife blades that were in the 1/48 kits). They even have a visible twist that was missing in the 1/48 kit.

The undercarriage bays on the lower wing have the cutout for the scissor links. Wheels are four spoke. The tailplanes look correct (much better outline than Airfix 1/48 Mk.IX which had wrong contour). The elevator horns are late style. Tail is early style (pointed one is not included even as a separate part, although in the instructions, the stencil placement guide has the pointed rudder). Cannon tubes have very heavy engraved rings that will need to be filled. Ailerons and flaps are integral to the top wing parts. The aileron engraving is of the same depth and width as the rest of the top wing panels (should be a bit deeper).

The cockpit is very bare. There is a jet pilot figure included (he, he) - with a modern style helmet and oxygen mask :). There is cockpit floor (similar to Airfix 1/72 Mk.V and Mk.I) which is incorrect, and the instrument panel is sort of there but part of fuselage halves (but looks the part). No instrument panel decal is included, though. Seat is closer to an armchair than a Spitfire seat.

The cowling is integral to fuselage halves and is of the non-bulged type. The wing tips are integral to the wing tops. There are wingtip lights on them, but they are non-descript blobs (though small and easy to sand off). The kink in the lenghtwise panel line on the fuselage is there, but barely visible (kink was missing on some of Airfix 1/48 Spitfire kits).

The canopy is one-piece. It is nice and clear, but thick. The gunsight is also on the clear sprue.

All in all, a modern looking kit, good shape at first sight (did not compare to plans yet), and at a tolerable price (that should be lower really - £5.99 in Modelzone - Revell Mk.Vb is £4.99 and has much nicer panel lines though it has its own problems and is not a Mk.IX). The panel lines could (and should) have been better, but are passable.

Edited by Vladan Dugaric