1/72 Supermarine Stranraer

dswoofie

OK, it is time for me to take the plunge and start on my first proper flying boat model! I've only ever attempted one before as a kid, that was the Matchbox Norseman, and I'm not sure I ever actually finished it as it required yellow and I was a brush painter then! Yellow never seemed to work properly with brushes

Anyway, my next (and hopefully far more successful!) seaplane model is the Matchbox 1/72 Supermarine Stranraer. Looking it over it looks a surprisingly nice little kit and seems to all fit together nicely, so I'm looking forward to finally getting on with it.

My first decision on the kit came with the gun placements and the side door, did I want them open or closed? Well, closed meant a whole lot less work (very appealing!), but the door was an awful fit, so I decided on that being open. To add a little detail in there I decided to add some ribbing to the interior where it could be seen opposite the door. While doing this I was still trying to make up my mind about the gun placements.

Dscf0264-1.jpg

Then I wondered if any other areas would be visible through the windows and stuff like that... one thing lead to another and before I knew it I had gone and added ribbing to the entire thing nearly. I still don't know why I did it, but for some weird reason I actually enjoyed it!!? :suspect: Completely ficticious, but has something other than a smooth interior in there anyway! Gun placements finally decided as open :)

Dscf0265.jpg

It's all painted up now and ready to close up, including a pilot too. I thought he'd look good in there if he can be seen through the thick canopy glass!

Dscf0267-2.jpg

Dscf0268-1.jpg

Dscf0270-1.jpg

Dscf0271-1.jpg

Here I've dealt with all the seams on the fuselage and rubbed them down properly now. The canopy has been dipped in klear and fitted, with the small gaps around it sealed with some gator glue as they we pretty small. The side windows have been filled in with some Humbrol clearfix that will act as a mask when spraying. I will remove them and do it all again at the end, saves having to plug up the small gaps. The lower wings and tail are also added now, and the necessary filling has been done.

Dscf0767.jpg

Dscf0768.jpg

Don't those colours look cool!!

And work is now progressing on the top wing and engines... just filling in the gaps around them.

Dscf0769.jpg

More very soon!!!

Karl.

Just love seaplanes! Matchbox's kit of the Walrus is also a real gem. Following this one with great interest - looks good so far.

Looking forward to this one Karl, are you using the Mushroom Publication as a reference at all?

I seem to recall the interior shots in the book being a little disappointing as the RAF Museum example they photographed is pretty bare inside.

Are you going to finish it pre war or camouflaged?

Mick

SUPER interior scratchbuilding, I have this kit in my to build pile. I also have a set of 1/72nd scale plans from back in the late 1950s, I think from an old Aeromodeller issue, that has a side view showing the interior layout. Like you I plan to detail the model. I will be looking forward to your future post with great anticipation. Carl T :speak_cool::speak_cool:

I went through my plans this morning to check & the plans I mentioned were in the October 1959 issue of Aeromodeller. They are comprised of a double page spread & a single page plus text w/ photos. In the view that shows the interals everything is numbered & part of the text tells what the number is relating to. The view is of the starboard side of the hull. I should think the plans might still be available through MAP plans service. Carl T :speak_cool:

Some slight progress on the Stranraer... I now have joined the top wing together. When dry fitting it I found that there was no positivity to the wings joining the centre section, and they could fit anywhere from a +20 degree dihedral, down to a -20 degree one they were that loose! :wacko: So, I figured the only way to get it right was to temporarily attach all of the struts and then balance the whole lot on top, and glue them then. After many, many attempts at setting this up, and using a whole vocabulary of swears, I got them balanced and quickly splotted some glue in there.

Once the wing was all dried, I took it off again and removed all the struts. There were some pretty prominent join gaps that required some superglue/talc filler, and plenty of rubbing down. I did lose a little of the scalloping detail in that area, but there was nothing I could do about that, and will have to live with it.

There was also a fiddly little fault in the top of one wing. It looks like the plastic had an air bubble, or didn't flow properly into one point, and this left a divot that sat right on a scalloped shaping on the wing. In order to sort it out I used some Mr Surfacer and applied several coats to fill it up. I then carefully rubbed it down and did my best not to alter or lose the surrounding shaping. Luckily as it sands very easily it did the job nicely.

Here's the divot. It doesn't look like much in the pic, but would have stuck out like a sore thumb if left...

Dscf0055-1.jpg

And filled in with Mr Surfacer...

Dscf0065.jpg

And finally rubbed down and smoothed out... job done!

Dscf0066-1.jpg

And the top wing all filled and sanded ready to move onto the next steps.

Dscf0069-1.jpg

Dscf0070.jpg

More soon!

Karl.

Karl: Good job on that Matchbox kit...an interesting a/c for sure...I've only built two Matchbox kits, both Brewster Buffalos but have a few in the stash including the Stranraer...your build is encouraging me to perhaps build something Matchbox..! A picture of some of the Matchbox kits in the stash...

P3280027Matchbox172mediumbox4.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Walrus: The Norseman would look cool, as a Canadian bush plane, with a full cargo of Moosehead beer..

Cheers,

:cheers:

ggc

OK, stick with me here, think Canadian, what brew should the Norseman be bringing?? perhaps Tuborg...eh?

Cheers,

ggc

:cheers: