Bristol Bloodhound Missile

dambuster

And some new stuff :)

Bloodhound Launcher

The Launcher provides electrical and hydraulic power along with air conditioning to the missile. The launcher also rotates to provide the best firing position before launch.

Bloodhound_Launcher_1.jpg

Launcher Closeup

Bloodhound_Launcher_2.jpg

Bloodhound Service Part 1

Service Check List: Removal from launcher.

Power down missile. Disconnect firing circuits, electrical, air, and hydraulic supplies.

Attach incidence switch cover to radome.

Move to service hanger. Load missile onto service trolley.

Bloodhound_Service_1.jpg

Bloodhound Service Part 2

Service Check List: Explosives Bay.

Remove boost motors.

Remove Warhead.

Move missile to Fuel Bay.

Bloodhound_Service_2.jpg

Bloodhound Service Part 3

Service Check List: Fuel/Refurb Bay

Remove wings and tailplanes & check for damage.

Drain fuel tanks, remove ramjet intake covers.

Test fuel control system, refit ramjet intake covers. Move missile to MOTE.

Bloodhound_Service_3.jpg

Bloodhound Service Part 4

Service Check List: MOTE. (Missile Overall Test Equipment)

Remove radome, wing actuator covers & hydraulic bay cover.

Test all electronics and hydraulics including: target tracking, wing and dish movement, altimeter, gyro, radar mode switching, hydraulic pressure reservoir, firing circuits etc.

Seal and refit panels, and return back up the line.

Bloodhound_Service_4.jpg

• Like 1

:D Some of it's from memory, some from very blurry photos, so the fine detail inside the wing bays may not be 100% yet, but the overall impression of things I am happy with.

I would like to draw a Sideloader at some point, but reference photos/drawings seem almost impossible to find. -_-

Thanks for posting the updates.

In the last 12 months I've been to Singapore and Switzerland, making sure to photograph their Bloodhounds. Somewhere in the stash I have a resin Bloodhound in 1/48. Now I have to decide what scheme to use.

I love this thread! Facinating stuff.

Colin

• 2 years later...

There's a sideloader at Cosford. I passed it last week, parked on the way up to the restoration centre. I took some photos, but imgur has died on me. Anyone suggest an alternative please? It may be a different model from what was used at the time, I can't remember the details. Try a websearch here:

http://www.mhsz.ch/fileadmin/luftwaffe/Fuehrerdaten/_11 BMPG (UK)/Newsletter_Issue_4.pdf

A little bit of references for anybody making a Mk 1.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205378769

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205214261

The live boost motors on the 575 production RAF Missiles were never yellow. Those missiles with yellow boost motors seen in the late 1950's were Prototype Red Duster 2 missiles built at training rounds for the service acceptance trials at North Coates and the boost motors were empty dummies (North Coates did get live missiles in 1961). Real training (weighted with concrete) drill Bloodhound boost motor's were painted black. I've just managed to find the operational requirements for the Bloodhound Mark 1 launcher written in 1955. According to the finishing requirements the prototype launchers were to be painted in "Bristol Green BS 277". The only BS 277 paint colour that I can find is known as Cypress green. The paint colour for the operational launchers were listed as "to be issued later".

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, Matave said:

Out of service

DSCN7983bs.JPG

Bunch of Swedish guys are trying to restore this into a complete missile (it was on a firing range as a target). The missile is a former RB-365 (Bloodhound Mk 1) and was one of 13 missiles bought by Sweden to get them into the Surface to Air Missile game. It was a Trials weapon (Hence the 3 Prefix) and the missile system was evaluated by both the Swedish Army and Air Force. The Army then bought the MIM-23 Hawk, while the Air Force bought the Bloodhound Mk 2 as the Rb-68. 10 of the RB-365's were modified with fore extensions to take them up to the length of a Bloodhound Mk 2 so that they could be used as Loading trainer drill missile. 

• Like 1