North American B-70C Valkyrie..

Hi, well it's finally done, three months in the making, God alone knows how much Alclad and Tamiya tape was harmed in the making of this production!!! My thanks to everyone who PM'd me about this kit I really appreciate all the kind comments ,( particularly Al and Keef!!..... cheers lads!!)...

The build for this model is here for anyone interested,

B-70 build

It is far from an easy build, but well worth the effort if you persevere with it and form a plan!!

I decided early on to build it as an operational machine, a B-70C serving with the 7th Heavy Bombardment Wing based at Carswell AFB, Texas, mid sixties finished in the typical USAF bomber scheme of that era with suitable markings to match .The serial follows on from the end of the B-58 production line, when the last aircraft came off just as the B-70's was due to start. Some kind soul got me some reference' material' :ninja: regarding proposed schemes, which was very helpful!!

You may have noted that it isn't fitted for IFR ops this was because the system was due to be fitted in the early seventies because it was thought that reducing the top speed meant that the aircraft could reach its target and return to western Europe andin particular the UK, (with Fairford and Mildenhall being designated as potential Valkyrie bases), on a full tank. Weapons wise early nukes such as the MK17 and 35, , a number of mk43 or Skybolt and Hounddog.( doubtful as it had to be carried internally!)...later, well anything goes!!

I got through an awful lot of Alclad with this, mainly duralumin, semi-matt aluminium, airframe aluminium, dark aluminium, magnesium, jet exhaust, dull aluminium, stainless steel and exhaust violet and sepia, also used were Tamiya matt black, smoke, NATO black, gloss white, red, midnight blue, Gunze off white and Citadel Mithril silver and boltgun metal....think that's about it !!.............plus three reels of 10mm Tamiya masking tape! :analintruder: !. All finished off with Klear,Vallejo matt and Xtracrylix satin and gloss varnishes.

The decals were sourced form the spares box, Monogram B-58 for walkways, Microscale B-36 and B-52 sets, Superscale stars and bars and USAF logos, stencils and red stripes...and I even used a few of the kit decals !! :whistle:

It's rather huge at 33 inches long!!...............so think long and hard about where you can put it once finished!!

Any how I hope you like her and thanks for looking, :cheers:

I really rather enjoyed this one...next up early B-52 or B-36 Peacemaker...

The General...

P1060064-1-1.jpg

P1060061-1.jpg

P1060062-1.jpg

P1050977-3.jpg

P1050990-1.jpg

P1050970-1.jpg

P1050971-1.jpg

P1060016-2.jpg

P1060029-1.jpg

P1050991-1.jpg

P1060018-1-1.jpg

P1050986-1.jpg

P1060021-1.jpg

P1050987-1.jpg

P1050973-1.jpg

I thought the Bounder was big!!...a few comparison shots of these two Cold War machines that never made it to operational status..

P1050998-1-1.jpg

P1060001-1.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Fantastic result Melchy, can't wait to see this in the flesh (er plastic) you have really created the impression of scale with the different alclad shades - very well done indeed !

(ps - you forgot to paint the tyres :D:banghead: )

Thanks chaps,.......... John t'would look rather nice alongside the B2 methinks ... :wicked:

(ps - you forgot to paint the tyres

DOH , knew I'd forget something!!.back to school :deadhorse:

Daz yeah I agree, love the early schemes, , same goes for the B-52 before they went and sploshed ugly camo paint all over it :whistle: !!

Oh dear God man! I don't think my trousers can take the pressure................ :blush:

The scheme is so right, but then again if it wasn't then you wouldn't have done it, kudos to you sir for pulling off this one, she is a treasure.

Regards,

JB.

Thank you very much fellas, it really does mean a lot to hear that other modellers enjoy your work, John watch yourself we don't want any serious trouser issues!! :analintruder: ,(a manual relief valve is what's required!!!)...

I also always felt that the Valkyrie would have looked good in this scheme, and have been meaning to do one for years, glad to see you feel the same..

Cheers all :cheers:

Well worth the pain General, excellent result! I like the story of why it became known as "The Saviour", apparently anyone who was priviledged to have a viewing of it in the secure hangar all uttered "Jesus Christ!" on seeing the beast! MODeller

:gobsmacked:

YEAH BABY!

Very cool Andy, very cool!

I must admit, I rather like the black and white shot of this beasty, looks as if it's taken from the pages of the Dennis Jenkins Valkyrie tome.

:cheers:

Duncan

Cheers guys, Dave just go and buy one...worry about the hanger space later !!,

Hatchet and MODeller thanks, the pain was more in the wallet regards resources ( ie Alclad and tape\0and in the backside regards the fit of parts!!...LOL

Dunc thought this might be your cup of char...............................just hope there's enough room on the table for it , Cold War or Whif....:whistle:

Simply must finish the Rapier now.... :wicked:

Very nice indeed general, definitely one to be proud of! :goodjob:

Looks absolutely great in that paint scheme, like to try something like that on one of my B 52's - if I could find the decals for it. :unsure:

Wow General, that's a stunner! :speak_cool:

Mine's still in the box coz I'm ascared of it!

Paul Harrison

Thank you all again, Dave the XB-70 was never fitted with any form of bomb bay but the production B-70 was to have a deep, long bay amidships ,(see below), this was to be covered by a long sliding door that moved back on rails so that nothing dropped down into the Mach 3 slipstream!!

P1050987-1-1-1-1.jpg

Nakajima, It's pretty much the scheme I have in mind for my B-52, either an NMF and white 'C' or 'D' model or NMF and black Arclight 'F' aircraft...

Nick, thanks, like to try and be a bit different, (family trait I'm afraid! :banghead::analintruder::banghead: !), yep it will be at Telford, at the mo it's headed for any one of 6 tables....if it survives the 2 days it will be a miracle.. :S

Go on Paul, be a brave sausage and wrestle the bits out of the box, then threaten it with lots of filler and verbal abuse......................you can do it... ;)

Edited by general melchett

General Sir.. :worthy::worthy: Fantastic finish the early SAC scheme really suits the Valkyrie thank the modelling gods you didn't go with that orrible

SEA pattern suggested by some impetuous fool... :chair: he should be forced out of the regiment & made to build Tracked things.........wait a minute he is :doh:

Andy.