MB Mk 3 seats for a 48th Canberra question

jwest21

I was planning on building the Airfix Canberra B.2 out of the box, but the seats just have to be replaced. I am doing a Rhodesian Canberra, so I need to find some Mk 3 seats, but I am coming up empty stateside. Is there any after market 3s out there? Thanks

Hi jwest21

As far as I'm concerned the best and only after market seat that look any thing like the Mk.3's fitted to the Canberra B.2's is the Aeroclub one, It's a new up graded one they produced for there 1/48 Canberra before Airfix released there's. It has every thing you'll need except firing handles. http://www.aeroclub-models.com/p.html?n=1&c=EJ402

John

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/

Hi John, jwest21.

After asking about this on the SIG, I did a bit of trawling around, and it would appear that the Zimbabwean a/c were indeed fitted with MK3 seats. That's from the Martin baker site directly.

rich

Thanks. That is where i found my info. That is a very useful site!

Hi jwest21 and Rich

I've just had a look on the MB. web site, and yes you're right it dose say Mk.3, I've had a good look at my Zimbabwean Canberra photo's and all the ones I've seen look like the black&white photo, which to me looks very much like the Mk.2, so I'd stick with the Aeroclub Mk.2c , the line drawing of the Mk.3 is the type fitted to the New Zealand B.(I)12's with the big parachute pack and head rest pad. One other thing of note, the seat in the photo is from an RAF later RAAF T.4 WT490.

John

Hi John, jwest21.

I also have looked for a good MK 2CA which is the correct Canberra B2 one (well maybe :frantic: ), but the only one I have seen so far is the new Pavla one (Hannants site). Aeroclub do one as John has said, but I have never seen one so can't comment on it's accuracy, but since John from Aeroclub was in the RAF, I think we can take it that it will be a pretty good representation. The Neomega MK2 looks like a Hunter type one to me and has the wrong head box for a Canberra MK 2CA.

The Martin Baker site has a drawing of a 2CA which shows the head box you are after and seatejectcolor.com has some pics of one.

If you need them I also have pics taken at Cosford of a 2CA, and there are pics in the walkaround section of the ones in a Canberra PR3 that I took at Midland Air Museum.

I'm just about to order both Aeroclubs and Pavlas so will be in a better position to compare them soon. Don't forget Aeroclubs is a white metal seat, so acts as free nose ballast.

rich :shrug:

:frantic:

Damn Canberras, they seem to have more options than a Morgan.

Cheers for a sort of clarification John :suicide:

rich :hanging:

Youve only just noticed Rich :whistle::wicked:

I'm just about to order both Aeroclubs and Pavlas so will be in a better position to compare them soon. Don't forget Aeroclubs is a white metal seat, so acts as free nose ballast.

rich :shrug:

Can we have some photos once youve got them please Rich :pray:

Bexy

Hi Rich

I've just had a look at the Pavla seat, and I'd say it's the best resin one I've seen, but, still not as good as Aeroclubs seat. You are right Rich, John Adams used to work on Canberra's in the RAF, mainly PR.9's I think, but the man knows his Onions!

John

Youve only just noticed Rich :whistle::wicked:

Can we have some photos once youve got them please Rich :pray:

Bexy

Hi Bexy wellcome back!! :thumbsup:

John

I've just had a quick look and it appears that Aeroclub list a MK 2 and 3. The Mk2 on Hannants is listed as for the Meteor and the MK3 for the Canberra and 50's jets. They are also listing a resin Mk2/3.

I really think it would be worth you getting hold of John aero on here, since it's his company and therefore the best person to clarify the situation.

Aeroclub part numbers are:

MK2 EJ401

MK3 EJ402

Resin Mk2/3 EJ423

Rich von even more confused

Thanks John.

Hannants list that as a MK1 :rolleyes: .

I'll order it and see what we get :wacko: .

rich :frantic:

Hi Rich

It's most definitely a Mk. 2'c I have a photo on the SIG all be it side on. undefined it's the one on the left, the other one is the kit seat, just shows how good the kit seat is!

Edited by canberra kid