F117 @**tehawk

Phartycr0c

Started one of these years ago...

The nose and upper fuselage facets are all wrong - and this makes the intakes and canopy wrong as well.

One day I will have another go - it is, after all - flat panels - so should be easily(??) scratchable with plastic sheet.

Cutting Edge did some decals - not sure if Dave Claus is selling any through his 'last chance to buy' promotion...

Iain

Ian Dave Klaus went out of business some time ago so you won't get any now.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a while I know but iv'e been otherwise engaged with work and stuff but here's a short ( I Lied) update.

Firstly, I implore anyone who subsequently builds this kit to heed the following, if you do nothing else make sure you get to the point of construction where the wings are added BEFORE starting any external detail work.

Reason? there are acres of plastic in the top and bottom halves of this kit and even with the canopy pit, bomb bay in place and the body halves firmly glued together, this beast flexes like billy ho!.

The wings provide in essence a spacer and stressed member i.e following their addition the body don't move.

anyhow the issue surrounding all this movement has manifested itself in the positioning of the Flightpath intakes....highlighted by the green filler

DSC_4226.jpg

DSC_4228.jpg

I really should have taken more care with this... These moved after aligning the body with the wings! .......I could have removed the intakes but that would simply damage the fine fretwork which would have been disasterous.

Anyhow....

Another clear issue with the kit is the Ar@e end. On the 1:1 model, when viewed from the rear the propulsion slots are not visible as the "platypus" is angled slightly upwards to reduce the heat signature and whilst the actual slots,as depicted by the kit, are somewhere near accurate, the actual platypus is incorrect in that is depicted as totally flat.

This does actually stand out quite badly so how to correct?

Initially I placed two lengths of sprue along the length of the platy with the intention of placing two fillets to depict the angled slot.

Glad I didnt because the dry fit looked terrible and completely wrong.

DSC_4219.jpg

DSC_4218.jpg

DSC_4220.jpg

Back to the drawing board.

In the end I cut along the extreme edges of the platy and bent it upwards, re fixed it flush with the top edge of the bodywork, as in the 1:1 then filled the resulting gap.

DSC_4221.jpg

DSC_4222.jpg

DSC_4223.jpg

Its not brilliant, and the photos dont clearly depict the difference but I assure you it looks slightly better that original... The back end of the kit is WAAAAY out from the prototype.

Here is where I am now.

DSC_4224.jpg

DSC_4225.jpg

Once cleaned up on to the tail fins and painting....That will be a game with no less that three different shades of black and "negative" pre shading!

Edited by Phartycr0c

I did indeed, very many thanks bud!

This evening, Not being content with the tarse end correction of the other night, I have put a saw through the platy and re positioned it again too much of the nozzels visible you see!.

This in turn has created a little (read lot) more work. :wall: I think Im now going to get me a :drink:

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this point.

Progress has been surprisingly slow for such a "simple" kit.

There is the first coat of paint on the beast! YAY!

DSC_4234.jpg

DSC_4233.jpg

In addition I have done my first freehand painting, the bomb bay THOR "nose art"

DSC_4235.jpg

DSC_4236.jpg.

Unfortunately this is where I am going to have to leave this project as I have to concentrate on the SU27 for the Wings of the Red Star. I will return to it in January.

• 5 months later...

Right ho Folks, having recovered my mojo from the Red Star build the F117 has been recovered from the top of the wardrobe. No phots yet but the original paint has been lightly rubbed down which has given me an idea as far as weathering this usually boringly plain beast goes.

I want to attempt to depict a war worn "mission tired" aircraft.

Another coat of Matt black now going onto the airframe, soon to be followed by anthracite and tar black. piccies to follow.

Well I promised photos of sorts, excuse the photography.

I would like to say that it is down to crap photography but the visit to the paintshop hasnt gone anywhere near as well as I was hoping.

The vast area of matt black is the devils own colour. When dry I couldn't pick the plane up for leaving fingerprints. anyhow after each coat I smoothed the paint off and applied another one. In addiiton I applied further bifferent shades of black and anthracite to break up the vastness of black.

Having done so I gently rubbed down the very small panel detail just to replicated the aircraft needing a re application of RAM.

DSC_5449.jpg

DSC_5450.jpg

DSC_5451.jpg

DSC_5452.jpg

DSC_5453.jpg.

Couldn't get the Klear layer on quick enough stops the fingerprints you see! . Anyhow It hasn't flattened quite as well as I had hoped but Ill have to make do.

• 1 month later...

Long time coming but here is anothe update now I have my modelling mojo Back.

Paintwork has been re applied with a base coat of Citadel Chaos black from a rattle can Outstanding finish and texture,

in addition the main fuse facets have been lightened with a mix of charcoal grey and coal black. The contrast is different but this will be weathered washed and blended suitably.

Here she is at the mo

DSC_6025.jpg

DSC_6026.jpg

DSC_6027.jpg

Iv'e also been busy working on the undercart forming the brake parts and u/c leg shrouds provided in the Flightpath kit.

In addition the wheel overlays, (as the kit wheels are totally wrong,) and the front cart detailing.

Firstly the plain kit leg

DSC_6019.jpg

with the addition of this

DSC_6018.jpg

brake parts Formed of no less than four separate parts and soldered.

DSC_6015.jpg

Wheel leg overlays and brakes

DSC_6016.jpg

Turns the undercarriage into this

DSC_6017.jpg

This

DSC_6013.jpg

This

DSC_6020.jpg

This

DSC_6021.jpg

and this

DSC_6022.jpg

Next up priming and painting of the legs then U/C doors.

I wont leave it as long next time!

• 3 weeks later...
Long time coming but here is anothe update now I have my modelling mojo Back.

Paintwork has been re applied with a base coat of Citadel Chaos black from a rattle can Outstanding finish and texture,

in addition the main fuse facets have been lightened with a mix of charcoal grey and coal black. The contrast is different but this will be weathered washed and blended suitably.

Here she is at the mo

DSC_6025.jpg

DSC_6026.jpg

DSC_6027.jpg

Iv'e also been busy working on the undercart forming the brake parts and u/c leg shrouds provided in the Flightpath kit.

In addition the wheel overlays, (as the kit wheels are totally wrong,) and the front cart detailing.

Firstly the plain kit leg

DSC_6019.jpg

with the addition of this

DSC_6018.jpg

brake parts Formed of no less than four separate parts and soldered.

DSC_6015.jpg

Wheel leg overlays and brakes

DSC_6016.jpg

Turns the undercarriage into this

DSC_6017.jpg

This

DSC_6013.jpg

This

DSC_6020.jpg

This

DSC_6021.jpg

and this

DSC_6022.jpg

Next up priming and painting of the legs then U/C doors.

I wont leave it as long next time!

You aren't supposed to weather the instruction sheet as well mate! Seriously, a very nice build, not often you see a Wobblin' Goblin in 1/32.

Cheers

James

Really impressive build of the shy torque :tapedshut: and i really like am you have used on this to improve it

Russ

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys, makes it worth plodding on! Work has seriously been getting in the way recently so much so when I get in, im that tired that I cant turn my mind to owt else that requires mental effort so again progress has been slow. Enough of the sob story here are some phots, She now stands on her own three feet!

Iv'e also been playing with the wearing of various panels to break up the overall blackness of the bird! Photos bely how effective it looks. (i think)

DSC_7103.jpg

DSC_7105.jpg

DSC_7106.jpg

DSC_7107.jpg

DSC_7108.jpg

Gear and bomb bay doors next. Leaving the canopy, munitions and weathering.

I have enquired as to getting the decal sheet remade to suit the build.

Watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It official! this project is now dead in the water :fraidnot: Long working hours, lack of modelling time and lack of markings have conspired for me to miss the completion deadline.

The decals are a story in themselves in that I realised the kit decals are coming up to 20 years old and did nothing about them until late on. I stupidly thought I could have a go myself at creating the 808 markings and tail flashes.

This is where I realise It has to be left to the professionals.

I will complete her but not in time for the end of the GB. I did really rubbish considering I was looking at completing 3 kits in twelve months, In actual fact none have crossed the finish line. Mind you I did complete a Flanker (were they in the Gulf war?)

Anyhow, here is what im left with at the moment.

DSC_9893.jpg

DSC_9894.jpg

DSC_9895.jpg

DSC_9897.jpg

DSC_9898.jpg

DSC_9899.jpg

As a respite I'm now starting on a Trumpeter Swordfish, Very different Fayre to my usual stuff.

I will get some markings professionally made up for it and i will complete it, but in the meantime.........

See you in the WIP section.

• 6 months later...

Hi pharty,

I've got one of these coming - what aftermarket stuff should I use (etch/seat/deca

S)? And where did you get the rattle black? My rattle blacks are rubbish - usually too lumpy! I've gotta find a way to raise the details as well - I might use a white pencil or something.

awesome job you've done btw.