Revell 1/32 JU-88

Hi folks, my darling wife was good enough to buy me this beauty of a kit for my birthday in January.

I have finally got round to starting this, and what an absolute gem it is. I intend to complete it more or less out of the box, but will be adding RB Productions seatbelts and using a combination of MDC and AIMS decals in the cockpit.

So progress so far. I have began with the right hand console of the cockpit. Having been so impressed with Spencer Pollard's version I thought I would try a little bit of the "Spanish School" technique myself. I have to say I am quite pleased with the results.

cock3.jpg

cock2.jpg

I have used the AIMS decals on the side instrument panel, as well as MDC for some of the manfacturers plates

For anyone building this kit there is a fantastic wealth of photos and information at www.Ju88.net.

The radio wall is fantastically detailed and I must have put in approx 5 hours painting this.

The handles on the magazines are just strips of Tamiya masking tape.

cock4.jpg

I have also made the bomb aimers position and painted the middle bulkhead where the pilot's seat is attached.

cock6.jpg

and here is the radio wall set into position to test the fit.

cock5.jpg

I have started to build the seatbelts up- they are a little kit onto themselves.

I will post more photos soon.

Alan.

Edited by scottie_K
  • Like 2

Don't forget to check out the LSP forum too. Guttorm has posted his build and details from the museum there.

Ju88 Linky

It's a must read.

Did you also realise that MDC have now released their bomb racks and bombs for this kit?

W

I actually have been on LSP, it was through there I found Guttorn's site. I hopefully will be getting the ETC racks and bombs for this, also ordered a set of Montex masks for the canopy from Ali at A2Z.

Thanks for the comments.

Alan.

Ok Scottie, I give up! Pray tell me about 'The Spanish School'. I am intrigued. If it is something that helps you to get a finish like that, I would dearly love to know. Fantastic work so far matey.

Peter

There is a brief tutorial Spencer did on Hyperscale of the basic technique. The tutorial was posted on January 8th by Spencer Pollard, if that helps ( Spence on here)- I have a link on my favourites that takes me to it, but when I try to insert it here it goes to the plastic pix home page.

If you ever see the work of Daniel Zamarbide it is the same technique he uses so amazingly.

There is also an online build of a Grumman Avenger on the Accurate Miniatures site using the same technique. Follow this link to the build. Avenger Online Build

Hope this helps, Alan.

Edited by scottie_K

Great work on the 'pit scottie!!

Ok Scottie, I give up! Pray tell me about 'The Spanish School'. I am intrigued. If it is something that helps you to get a finish like that, I would dearly love to know. Fantastic work so far matey.

Peter

Peter, Spence's Spanish School tutorial is also on here - linky.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi,

Whats the main interior colour your using?

Cheers

Ps great start to the build

The base colour is Vallejo ModelAir 53. According to my colour charts it is the same colour as Revell 77, which the instructions tell you to use.

• 5 months later...

As tends to be a habit with me, this kit has sat for almost the last 6 months with nothing being done to it.

So having finished the Revell Lancaster, I decided to give my Tamiya one a break for a week or two.

So I have gone back to the Revell 1/32 JU88A4.

I have installed the co-pilots seat and have used the seatbelts from Radu Brinzan.

883.jpg

884.jpg

I have painted and detailed the pilots port panel with all the throttle levers on it.

I had to make the handles of most of these levers as the moulded ones were terrible.

882.jpg

881.jpg

I still have a bit to do to finish this panel, then it will be on to the pilot and radio operators seats.

Until the next time........

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments.

Mostly with a very fine 000 brush, which I cut down further.

I also have a tool, a bit like a scriber, except it has the metal point from a school

compass in it, so I dip that in paint and it is excellent for doing dots with.

For the letters on it, I used AIMS JU88 cockpit decals- very nice indeed.

Peter

The best reference I have found for the Spanish school (and other useful techniques) is FAQ from Andrea miniatures. I have bought plenty of modelling books but this one is far and away the best in my opinion and I have probably picked up more from this than my other books combined.

Nick

Edited by nick

I have completed the radio operators seat and have it mounted in the cockpit.

P1000234.jpg

P1000233.jpg

P1000236.jpg

P1000235.jpg

I am now working on the pilot's position. I have added the rudder pedals and have painted

the, including shading. Just the highlights to add, and install some brake hoses.

P1000237.jpg

Until the next time, Alan.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I'm new to this site, though have been modelling for years. I'm just admiring the work going on here on the JU 88, and am reading lots about the lack of instrument decals in the kit. I have bought the MDC dials, but have just noticed that my kit actually has the dials on the decal sheet??

There is no reference in the instructions as to where they go, but they're definitly there??

Regards

Nige