Heller 707- JT3D Engines

David H

Hi Everyone,

i am tinkering with a 72nd scale Heller 707 and am having some frustrations with the engines. i'm really turned off by the prominent seam of the left and right halves, and the lack of a realistic intake lining leading up to the fan. I recall that Flightpath did some TF-33s for the Heller AWACS kit and i wondered of they really represent a significant improvement over the Heller engines. I thought about rolling up some thin plastic sheet and ramming it in, but i wonder- is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards,

david

Thank You, Trojan Man!

Given the lack of further input, i am leaning towards the idea of the Brad Shinn route, which is to take a tube of very thin plastic strip, rolled up, inserted and allowed to uncoil in situ. However, before i do that there are still a few things i can do with the wing. I am re-engineering the pylon/ wing interface so the joints fall on natural panel lines. I want to delay attaching the engines as long as i possibly can during construction and painting.

Everything else on this kit, compared to the engines, is a non-event. The only other real challenge is just the sheer size of the fricking thing. But at least its not a B-36.

David

David,

I have at least 2 707s to build using the JT-3Ds, do you have a lkink to Brad's method? I am very interested in this way of fixing the engines.

Hi Trojan Man,

email me off board, and i will send you the one pic Brad Shinn sent to me.

[email protected]

Kind Regards,

david

The civilian JT3Ds on the 707 are completely different from the TF33s found on E-3 Sentries. The engine on the Sentry (and the reason DB Resins did them in the first place, later sold to Flightpath) is that the nacelle is much fatter and the pylons are completely different.

J

Hi Jennings,

Yep, thats kind of what i was afraid of. Back to the drawing board.

Cheers,

david

YES, i've still got that RB-47H project...