Airfix 1/48 Spitifire mk1 - 'thar she blows'

Hi all, here's Hornfix's latest.

Pretty much OOB allowing for some PE seatbelts, and the lovely Iliad decals.

Paints are Xtracrylix for the DE/DG - which look spot on to me. Tamiya white and NATO black/ flat black for the "2 tone Mods" undersides.

HSS hasn't quite worked for the aerial - thinking of a way to fix this as we type.

All comments greatly received... on to the pics:

spit2.jpg

spit5.jpg

spit4.jpg

spit3.jpg

Edited by Mike
Fixing Images

Nice Spit Jon :thumbsup:

Isn't it funny how the flat canopy & 2-blade prop make it look so old fashioned? :hmmm:

Hi Mike - yep - thats the Spits allure - wack a 4 blade prop on that airframe, change the DE to grey and alter the nose length a bit - et viola - a late war Mk IX.

But, and is this just me?, the DE/DG scheme makes RJs Shrew look more curvier. The grey' green spits always seem more "angliar" to my eye.

Cheers

Jon KT

I think it just goes to show how much we (britmodelers, generally) are trained to "know" Spitfires. Not true for any other group of the population, but I suspect most of us have a pretty good "gut feel" for how a Spitfire should look, and I'll bet it's based on JE-J, Biggles, the Old Flying Machine Company and the Imperial War Museum -- mostly, anyway. And basically, a Spitfire "should" look like a Vb or IX, and anything else is "old-fashioned" or "new-fangled"... that's my theory, anyway... ;-)

bestest,

M.

That really does look good. You can tighten the aerial, quite easily, with a red-hot pin. I use a straightened-out safety pin (keeps the heat away from the fingers,) and heat the point in a candle flame. When it reaches red heat, approach the aerial, but don't touch it, and the sprue will suddenly pull tight. It works a treat on biplane rigging, too. :winkgrin:

Edgar

Nice work Jon, May I venture one comment. Only the late Mk Spitfires had legs that splayed outwards. In front view the Mk.1 and 2 the legs were perpendicular to the ground. The Mk.5c was the first Spit to receive modified pintles which swept the u/c forwards at a slightly steeper angle in side view.

Cheers

John

Very very nice, gonna have to get me one.

Nice Spit Jon :thumbsup:

Isn't it funny how the flat canopy & 2-blade prop make it look so old fashioned? :hmmm:

Funny I was thinking how sleek and aerodynamic she looks, looks fast just sitting still, an absolute thouroughbred.

Another cracker, Jon!

Brush painted again? I don't know how you do it!

Going to Yate on Sunday next?

Hi Rowan - airbrushed this time - Xtracrylix top camo / Tamiya for the BW undersurface. The recent good weather has enabled me to airbrush outside on the patio - thus making the whole process a bit more practical than having to book the kitchen!!

Can't do Yate - away at friends in North Essex for a weekend shindig.

Just started the Special Hobby Fiat G55 this morning - for a bit of a break from the RAF - was joining the wings, when "sploosh" over goes the bottle of EMA plastic weld - tsunamiing the taped together fuselage :shithappens:

So I now have a very shiny set of fuselage parts - which will be the perfect test for the micromesh sanding cloths I bought on Saturday! - who says life isnt fun!

regards

Jon KT

PS hows the tiffie coming along?

• 1 month later...

Nice build - did you use an aftermarket decal set, if so which one?

(I can feel an interest in "Munich Crisis" schemes coming on.)

Edit - oops, missed the almost throwaway mention of the decals in the original post, I think I can find the sheet now.

Edited by MikeC