BAE Systems Harrier GR.7A

Thanks very much gents :)

I admire you working with resin in tiny scale, must be loads of fun!

Laugh a minute mate! Though not as much fun as working with the etch.... :whistle::hypnotised:

A quick update and after another round of filling and sanding, I've attached the intakes, masking the off before hand. I then masked off the glazing and sprayed the frames and also the IP coaming in black, before attaching the PE HUD to the latter. The windshield was then glued in place, and yet more milliput added around the front to blend it into the nose better, as it sat a little proud of it. I've also added a touch more filler around some more of the wing/fuselage joins as I wasn't happy with them. Finally, everything has been masked off in preparation for primer.

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

She's looking rather tatty at the moment, but once the last lot of filler is sanded smooth tomorrow, she'll be ready for priming, so hopefully she'll start looking a little tidier soon

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed as ever

Cheers

Shaun :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much peeps ^_^

I've been steadily working on this one over the last few days and have now pretty much got the paintwork done. First, I primed her, before making the odd correction here and there, as well as rescribing a few lost panel lines, before re-priming and sanding the surface smooth with some micromesh.....

DSCF1165.jpg

.......Before laying down a preshade

DSCF1174.jpg

DSCF1176.jpg

I then sprayed some Xtracolor Dark Camouflage Grey over the undersides, before adding a few drops of white and adding some random shading about the place.

DSC09750.jpg

The same process was then applied to the upper surfaces with Xtracolor Dark Sea Grey

DSC09754.jpg

I then masked off the replacement panels in accordance to some reference shots for this aircraft and sprayed them in Xtracolor Medium Sea Grey. The intake lips have been sprayed up in with a slightly darkened mix of DCG, with the rear RWR painted in the same mix darkened even further. So, here's where she stands as of his evening.

DSCF1178.jpg

DSCF1179.jpg

DSCF1182.jpg

Quite pleased with the patchwork look, just goes to show grey jets don't have to boring :D

All that remains to spray are the leading edge coatings, but I shall do that after decals and a coat or two of Klear have gone down so that I can safely wear them back to rough them up a bit. Should get the decalling done tomorrow, so probably won't be long now.

It's occurred to me looking through the recent Harrier threads that I've completely overlooked the ECM and Chaff/Flare fairings. Bit annoying really, but I think the build is too far gone now for me to add them, so we'll just have to pretend they're really there :whistle:

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed as always

Cheers

Looks great Shaun. Another one of those models that appears to be a few scales bigger because of your quality of work. :clap2:

It's occurred to me looking through the recent Harrier threads that I've completely overlooked the ECM and Chaff/Flare fairings. Bit annoying really, but I think the build is too far gone now for me to add them, so we'll just have to pretend they're really there :whistle:

That chaff/flare fairing is also often slightly discoloured, so it wouldn't be noticable if you added it...

Whilst we're nit-picking, you wont forget the fuel drain (aka "shark fin") and oil systems vents on the right hand side will you?

Keep up the good work. I'm really enjoying this one.

Kirk

Thanks for such postive feedback guys, much appreciated :thumbsup2:

Whilst we're nit-picking, you wont forget the fuel drain (aka "shark fin") and oil systems vents on the right hand side will you?

I'm busy getting the decals on at the moment, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'll see what I can do ;)

Cheers

EDIT: As soon as I posted, I think I got what you meant- the little vent on the starboard cold nozzle fairing yes? If so, I've not forgotten it, in fact I did have it on, shortly before knocking it off. Should really get it back on along with the pitot tubes before I loose them :hmmm:

Edited by Seamus

Shaun,

There are 2 little fairings on the right hand side. One is on the "cheek" fairing ahead of the cold nozzle at about 8 o'clock viewed head on. This one is pretty tiny in 1:72 so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not in the kit. I should go to the stash to investigate...

The other is more substantial and is just below the cold nozzle, at about 7 o'clock. I'm pretty sure this is in the kit.

Cheers,

Kirk

Yup, both are present and correct :)

I always attach the later one after decalling, as it seems to obstruct the decal of the nozzle angle calibration.

Ok, here she is all decalled up. The roundels and markings for 800 NAS came from an MA sheet and were excellent. The stencils came from the sheet supplied by Revell, and weren't quite so nice, being a little on the thick side. Nothing Klear hasn't sorted out though.

DSCF1185.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

She's now got a coat of Klear on, so once that's fully cured, I'll mask off and spray the leading edge coating, before randomly rubbing them back and weathering her up a bit/lot.

Comments welcome as always

Cheers

Nit pick, nit pick, nit pick... A couple of observations:

The 4 dorsal engine access panels attach to a thin longitudinal spine that I would guess would be one colour - either the pale or dark but not both.

Not sure about the "dog leg" on the access panel outboard of the pilot's feet on the right side. There are 2 panels on the left in about this position (the aft one providing access to the throttle & parking brake cables) but the one on the right is only the rectangle.

Ah - another. The pitot's are natural metal finish.

Still looks great though. :)

Cheers Kirk, though you might want to get something for those nits ;)

Regarding the front starboard panel, I've used this picture for reference. I did think it odd that the change in colour did not follow the panel lines, but went with it anyway. The same sort of thing applies to the centre of the fin base, but I decided to moit these- call it artistic license :)

You're probably right about the spine section. I don't have an upper view of '346 that shows this area accurately, but I'll spray it anyway in MSG.

Oh, and the pitot probes aren't finished yet :P

Fair enough re that panel. Your picture seems conclusive - perhaps there is a repair or something on that a/c.

Back to rivet counting - or more accurately rivet drawing; I'm working on 3D drawings of the GR9 cockpit and have just about finished the Electrical Control Panel.

Looks like you'll be done in an hour or so...

Cheers Will

Looks like you'll be done in an hour or so...

Erm, perhaps not. Just had a mini disaster in that some masking tape I put down for the leading edges has now lifted off the port side 'cheek' squadron markings.......and just when it was starting to go so well :raincloud:

Anyone have any tips for removing a particularly fragile decal from the tape? I've got it soaking in water in the vain hope it will lift away, but I don't fancy my chances.....

Ok, I managed to salvage the decal from the masking tape with only a tiny bit of damage, so that's now safely back in pace. The leading edge coating has been painted and subsequently worn back in places using micromesh, with the areas where I went too far touched up. I've also done a spot of detail painting here and there, and made a start on the weathering, first by applying a panel wash and then spraying up the exhaust staining and general filth that accumulates on the underside (and tailplanes, cannons, fuel tanks and other peripheries that aren't shown).

DSCF1190.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

The dirt is still a work in progress as I shall be adding more staining with oils once the Matt coat is on sometime tomorrow. Once that's on, it should just be a case of final assembly, though I have little confidence that getting all 5 wheels on the deck is going to be nice and easy :fraidnot:

Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions most welcome

Cheers

Edited by Seamus

Hello Seamus,

Excellent Harrier underway (nearly finished!) and definitely starting to look like the real thing. Good to hear that you saved the lifted decal and hope that the rest of your build goes to plan.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks very much Andrew. unfortunately though, it hasn't gone to plan this evening, as I seem to have lost the canopy :( Not a major issue as I have a couple other Harrier kits from which to pillage a replacement, though of course it will still need replacing at some point (open to offers if anyone has one ;)), but it's a bit annoying as I'll have to go through the work of removing the seam, polishing it up, masking etc.

Still, in happier news, I've touched up the dirt a bit, as I thought it could do with some more, and have now got the matt coat on. I'll let that cure overnight, then it'll just be a case of adding some more dirt with oils and final assembly, as well as sorting the new canopy.

Hopefully get some final pics up tomorrow evening :D

Cheers

Looking great! You can never have enough Harriers!!! Just a thought though, any advantages in leaving the strakes/cannons off until after painting? I've always added mine on earlier......though I suppose its no different to adding Pylons/Stores later .....

Edited by Bill Clark

Thanks you two :)

Bill, you're spot on, you really can't have too many Harriers :wub: Re the cannons, there was no real reason for leaving them till the end, I just figured it would be easier to spray the dirt on the underside with them off :)

Just putting the finishing touches to this one now, including sorting the original canopy (found taped to underside of my spray sponge :shrug:) so should some final pics up in due course.

Now seems a good time to thank you all for your kind words and encouragement throughout the build, with special thanks going to Pete for supplying some superb reference material and Kirk for his vast wealth of nit picking knowledge and help during he slog. Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Cheers