Tamiya Skyraider AEW conversion

Another entry whilst I await the flightpath buccaneer set.

I originally started an Esci Skyraider AD-4W/AEW.1 which was moulded in dark blue horrible plastic which didnt stick together at all well. It stayed in the box for a while until I thought about converting the Tamiya Skyraider, which is an immeasurably superior kit.

In order to carry out this conversion I will be using the AEW specific bits from the esci kit and grafting them onto the Tamiya kit. The main obvious differences are the Radome (A simple addition), the dorsal extension and the observer crew coal hole. This will involve filling the area where the airbrakes are and rescribing. A door will need to be added which is included in the Airwaves wing fold set. The under carriage recess will require modifying to a circular opening.

I will be using the airwaves wing fold to fold the wings and the Eduard zoom kit. I will be using the Tamiya A1-H (I will be using the bombs on other builds)

This is my 'Conversion set!'

P1010856.jpg

Here is the initial work on the airbrakes. (Tape used to mask panel lines I want to keep)

P1010853.jpg

Anthony

I hadn't seen one until a couple of years ago (even before my dad's time :P)

I really want the Gannet AEW but no one does that and you can't convert an ASW as it has a totally different fuselage. I like it's ugliness!

:speak_cool: but

Never heard about the - beautiful - Douglas AD-4W/AEW.1 Skyraider North wing Model Craft (NMC) resin conversion set (ref. NMC48005)? :whistle:

http://nsf.tc/~nmc/ProductDetail.php?iProduct=4&stock=11

http://nmc.amuse-net.biz/WorkShop.php?ig=1&jg=3

http://nmc.amuse-net.biz/Gallery.php?ig=1&jg=4

ipryfxdx6001.jpgsceaflsm6001.jpg

Concerning a 1/48th Gannet AEW. Once upon a time I quoted in the "New and Forthcoming Products" of Classic Airframes ( http://www.classicairframes.com/catalogue.htm ) the following information:

ref. 4136 - Fairey Gannet AEW TBA $65.00

Maybe, one day... after the crisis (Come on M. Bringier!). Cross our fingers.

gannet20120seat1.jpg

Regards

V.P.

FLY NAVY & RAF

img1977c.th.jpgimg2285o.th.jpg img1726g.th.jpg img2731k.th.jpg img1065ku9.th.jpgdscn1113pl8.th.jpgimg0578rv1.th.jpg

Edited by Homebee

I am aware of the various conversions, but I like the challenge of using the parts from the esci kit. Also I don't have the money to go and buy these conversions, especially when I have the parts available already. It is a very nice conversion though that one, the pictures on their website of the finished 849 bird are very good.

Re: the CA Gannet, I have had my eye on this but it has been pending for 2 years now, is there a known reason why they seem slow?

For some fine FAA 849 Sqn, "D" Flight, Skyraider AEW.1 pictures, let's have a look here: http://skyraider.org/skyassn/memberpics/cowell/cowell.htm

It is a very nice conversion though that one, the pictures on their website of the finished 849 bird are very good.

Oh yes... http://nmc.amuse-net.biz/Gallery.php?ig=1&jg=4

pic001t.jpg

Re: the CA Gannet, I have had my eye on this but it has been pending for 2 years now, is there a known reason why they seem slow?

Herebelow the words of the CA boss, Jules Bringier, dating February and July 2009 (from Hyperscale forum). There is nothing to be optimistic.

I have been told that people are expecting an explanation as to what happened last week with an email that was sent to a customer that wanted a part for a kit.

Well, I am certainly aware of what happened in this forum, and you will probably find the reason boring, the email was not complete when it was send, and what was left off was...for February and most of March.

For that, I am accountable and accept responsability.

I simply did not have the part, fortunately my good friend David Hannant rode to the rescue of the gentleman in distress.

I also found it very \"enjoyable\" to have to respond to my distributors both foreign and domestic and reassure them that the Hyperscale topic of conversation was not accurate.

For the sake of clarity, I do want to state that Classic Airfames \"had\" a schedule planned for 2009, orders from distributors up to now, are not supportive of the projects that I had in mind, because everyone in business is very midful of the inventory they hold. The numbers are not there.

The leading candidates that seemed like they maybe could be produced were the Banshee and the BR. 20. last weeks interesting Hyperscale episode, did not help my cause at all in securing higher orders.

Quite frankly, I am not planning in going out of business, however if one is not producing \"new products\" there is not going to be much revenue. SO I will be in suspended animation.

What I am definitely not going to do is allow myself to bleed for the sake of saying that \"I am in the Hobby business\". I have cut down all expenses where posible, the Website is no longer \'active\' all advertising has been suspended, and most painfully I had to terminate the employment of two of my three employees.

Gentlemen, for me this is not an \"Ego Trip\" it is simply a business investment, and if does not provide a positive return it will not be continued. There was a time when it was fun, as I was an active builder of model airplanes and have always enjoyed aviation, that is in the past.

I want to thank the dozens of people that emailed me to express their concern and support about \"going out of business episode\".

In closing, if and when I close my doors permanently, I will announce it personally to my distributors and my friends and customers. Then it can be discussed all you want.

Thank you very much for your patronage and support, it can never be done with out the consumer.

Cheers!

Jules Bringuier

July 21 2009 at 3:16 PM J. Bringuier (Login ca-jbringuier)

HyperScale Forums

Response to Classic Airframes website Tango Uniform!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mr. Atkings, So you wear a uniform when you do the Tango ? when I do the Tango, I like wearing a White linen tuxedo or an old fashioned suit whith pin stripes (ganster style) and naturally black and white wing tip would be mandatory.

Oh yes, I digress, the website..., on 02-06-09 at precisely 08:32 PM I posted in this very forum that my website was no longer active.

More recently I decided to also note it on the Website itself.

A point of clarification I have sold 100% of my existing inventory, meaning I do not have, spare parts, decals, instructions, old kits, etc... zipo, zero, nothing, nada.

All kits previously produced by Classic Airframes are now collectibles, as there is no intention or re-releasing any items.

The Kit of the Br.20 (#4131) is \"expected\" to be ready for shipping in late September. That is the last kit scheduled for release this calendar year. It will be a very limited release.

Mr. Eisenman, who assisted with the research on the subject matter, has a copy of the markings and color guide for the kit and perhaps he would be kind enough to post this, so that our viewers can see the color schemes that will be available in the kit.

To all that read this post and care or not. This does not mean that Classic Airframes is out of business, it simply means that for the time being, as \"previously stated\", I will simply not issue any new kits until the economic climate warrants it.

The last 15 years were a lot of fun, in no small part due to all those that supported the concept of the product that I offered. My eternal gratitude...

As for the future, I have no crystal ball, but I did very well in \"Business 101\". I also do well in remembering good lines form my favorite songs, and this reminds me of Kenny Rogers...You got to know when to hold them and you got to know when to fold them....(for those to young to remember it was called \"The Gambler\").

Once more in case you suffer ADD, Classic Airframes is not out of business....8-)

As always I hope nobody was offended by this post.

Cheers!!!!!

Jules Bringuier

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

New update, showing the progress I have made. The starboard side is now filled and I have added the door from the Airwaves wingfold set. This has also been hollowed out to accept the esci window. The area has also been rescribed using the esci filler part as a template for lines.

P1010865.jpg

Anthony