Anyone know anything about this?

Barrovian

Interested in this mark and found this on ebay

Anyone know anything about the conversion or caster?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Can't help you wuith your questions sorry, but this bit stung;

"The concept was a result of trying to buy a Classic Airframes T17 for less than £110. Not a chance." - I sold mine last year for £20.........aaaaarrrgggghhhh!!!! :rolleyes::wacko::blush:

Typical!! :D

Keef

Hi Barrovian,

Might have a Classic Airframes 48th T.17 kit for trade, depends on what you have. I'm into 48th & 32nd

My kit is box open, inner bag sealed.

Cheers

smeds

Edited by smeds

• 3 weeks later...

The 1/48 canberra T17 is one of a range of limited run kits including the T11 / 19 , B6mod and SC9 kits. I mastered the moulds as soon as the Airfix kit was released because I just love Canberra. they are all moulded in a water based resin called Kesmonite 100, the master moulds being one piece RTV silicone. The production was limited to one of each kit every couple of days in my kitchen when I get back from work. I have also completed the master for a T22 but production is now halted on all my kits due to lack of interest. I will keep moulding them for anyone who wants them, but its not a commercial enterprise and were advertised on Ebay just to generate the cash to buy more moulding powder and silicone rubber. So there you are, straight from the horses mouth.

Steve Earlswain341

I bought one of these sets off Steve on ebay, I have to say its a great little conversion kit, nice a clean, a great set of instructions, at the price he's offering them, go for it!

Yep, I got one of these too. It's a great little set. :thumbsup2:

Welcome along, Steve. I don't think you'll have a lack of interest here. ;)

I bought one of these sets off Steve on ebay, I have to say its a great little conversion kit, nice a clean, a great set of instructions, at the price he's offering them, go for it!

Many thanks for your kind comments. i dont get the chance to talk to other modellers so Im gratefull for any feedback, good or bad. I joined up to Britmodeller the other day. Didnt know about such sites so its widened my horizons to whars going on out there. I will post photo s of my own models when I dust them off.

thanks once again

Steve

Hi Steve

Nice work, that will save a bob or two on Classic Airframe kits! thanks.

John

John, I must say how impressed I am over your collection of Canberras. I have eleven in various states and am taking a weeks holiday to complete at least one of them. You are a true inspiration

Thanks

Steve

Yep, I got one of these too. It's a great little set. :thumbsup2:

Welcome along, Steve. I don't think you'll have a lack of interest here. ;)

I too have one of the T.17 conversions and the quality is excellent.

Stephen

John, I must say how impressed I am over your collection of Canberras. I have eleven in various states and am taking a weeks holiday to complete at least one of them. You are a true inspiration

Thanks

Steve

Thank you Steve, nice of you to say, but I wouldn't have made half as many with out people like you making all those lovely bits! You'll have to post some on the SIG site when you get time, we would all like to see them I'm sure.

John

Ive only seen a couple of photos of Steves work, and as soon as I have some money saved up I'll be knocking on his email box for some bits thats for sure.

Bexy

Hi steve, dunno if it's you're thing but with the reluctance of Airfix to do a B2/6 PR3/7 in 1/72 a nose conversion would be very welcome for the myriad old Airfix B6/20 kits lying unbuilt in stashes all over the world, not to mention the Italeri B57 or the new Airfix 'fighter canopy' types in 1/72, just a thought?!?!?! I'd think there are a few on this forum who'd give you some trade.

It'd be interesting to know,what is involved in producing such a thing with the stuff you mention above, are the raw materials expensive? how long would it take for example?

. . . Kes (who maybe pushing his luck!!)

Hi steve, dunno if it's you're thing but with the reluctance of Airfix to do a B2/6 PR3/7 in 1/72 a nose conversion would be very welcome for the myriad old Airfix B6/20 kits lying unbuilt in stashes all over the world, not to mention the Italeri B57 or the new Airfix 'fighter canopy' types in 1/72, just a thought?!?!?! I'd think there are a few on this forum who'd give you some trade.

It'd be interesting to know,what is involved in producing such a thing with the stuff you mention above, are the raw materials expensive? how long would it take for example?

. . . Kes (who maybe pushing his luck!!)

Hi, Firstly to make a master for the mould, I turn the basic shape in a close grain hardwood. This is then sanded to a very fine finish. The basic shape is then sealed with clear acrylic laquer. Then using miliput or DAS modeling compound, I mould the various lumps and bumps by hand. Once these look right, they are stuck onto the main body and where required, these are scribed with the panels. Once this is done, I take a silicone mould in RTV rubber from GRP supplies of Ebay. 48 hours later, the master is popped out of the mould and that then left for a further weel to fully cure. The kits con then begin and I use Jesmonite 100, a water based 2 pack resin that has no odour and isnt anywhere near as dangerous to inhale while sanding. Each kit stays in the mould for 12 hours however they can be removed after 2 or 3 and left to cure for 24-48 hours. As for costs, the 20 kg kit of resin costs around £60, the silicone rubber around £25 to make around 6 moulds. The resin should make around 30-40 kits. If you take into account the hours put in each night to make the master, its not a profitable past time but Im making them for myself anyway. To make the T11 kit, I cocked up 3 Canberras before getting the fit right. The T17 was a dream because I had all the dimensions from a Classic Airframes kit and just ammended them slightly to suit the Airfix kit. All panel lines were copied using a piece of paper and rubbing a pencil over it. Yes there are cheats !! The T17 tail and scoops were moulded in "potty putty" and plasticine at first, thenpolymorph thermosetting plastic and again a mould taken. As for the old Airfix kit, I had a mould for this one too but cant find it at present. I also had a mould to convert the Italeri kit to a bubble canopy canberra. I can tell you how to go about it if you want. Firstly you find an old scrap canberra and cut around the canopy as an oblong including the top of the nose and the rear deck. Using plasticard to form a liquid proof bund, you then stick the lot down onto a plock of plasticard and create walls all around. Pour over the RTV rubber covering the lot and at least 10mm above the highest point.24 hours later, pop it out of the mould. VOILA You can then mould as many as you need ,in clear resin Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply Steve

I'd need to take an extra large 'brave' pill before attempting your tecnique, but with a stash which includes a few old Airfix canberras it might be worth a go. The best I've managed is to clone a Matchbox PR9 nose with stuff used for car body repair to allow me to do an A1 prototype and a T4. Looking at the entries above there seems to be more ' earlswain341' T17's than there were actual 1:1 EE/BAC T17!! If you find your own B2/B6 correction mold I'd certainly have a few!!

On behalf of Canberraphiles the world over I'd like to thank you for your efforts

. . . Kes (who wishes he hadn't used his Aeroclub correction now he has an incling how to clone it!)

Hi Steve.

Thank you for your very 'open' reply to Kes, great to hear how these things work. Like Kes, I tend to work in 1/72, and at the moment have both the 1/72 Airfix PR9 and B (I)8 on the go. I am sure that Airfix will come up with a 'goldfish bowl' canopied Canberra in 1/72 at some time, but when, is the question. Having flown in a Canberra T4 that was on the strength of RAE almost 50 years ago, I would very much like to have a model of one. Best of luck with your endevours, the Canberra modellers wait for your next offering.

Robin.

Hi Steve.

Thank you for your very 'open' reply to Kes, great to hear how these things work. Like Kes, I tend to work in 1/72, and at the moment have both the 1/72 Airfix PR9 and B (I)8 on the go. I am sure that Airfix will come up with a 'goldfish bowl' canopied Canberra in 1/72 at some time, but when, is the question. Having flown in a Canberra T4 that was on the strength of RAE almost 50 years ago, I would very much like to have a model of one. Best of luck with your endevours, the Canberra modellers wait for your next offering.

Robin.

Like I have said before, I.m not here to make money, just decent models and hopefully share and encourage others to have a go. Lets face it, the more people providing conversion kits for us, the better. If, like me, you buy loads of Canberra's, Buccaneers, Lightnings etc, in one scale, it will hopefully encourage Airfix et al to produce the kits we want in the other scales, not the myriad of American Sci fi, Starwars junk that we see on the shelves. So come on lads and lasses, have a go and if anyone out there needs some tips, I.m here. Lets face it, you might cock up a couple of times but it comes good in the end. I make mistakes, like everyone else but I never stop trying. I just wish that my finished models were up to the same standard as you guys out there. I work on the basis that a true to scale replica doesn't always look right when its finished. The case in point is that one of my conversions , the SC9 looks a little thin on the nose top camera housing, but when its finished and painted up it looks spot on against all the photo's. Sometimes spot on is wrong so don't worry.. If you get it to look right, it is right.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Could I ask where you get the resin ?

Cheers

Keef

Keef, I get all my supplies from Ebay. The Jesmonite is sold by jamesb1997 , tha company being Creative Resources Distribution Ltd. It costs £ 51.99 plus £ 10.99 p&p. they also sell in smaller quantities. Its brilliant for moulding and washes off in water.

Steve

Keef, I get all my supplies from Ebay. The Jesmonite is sold by jamesb1997 , tha company being Creative Resources Distribution Ltd. It costs £ 51.99 plus £ 10.99 p&p. they also sell in smaller quantities. Its brilliant for moulding and washes off in water.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I shall have to try some of that, may make less of a mess in the kitchen when I'm moulding. Which should please SWMBO.....!!!

Keef

Thanks Steve,

I shall have to try some of that, may make less of a mess in the kitchen when I'm moulding. Which should please SWMBO.....!!!

Keef

Don't count on it. My kitchen has been covered in powder every night for 3 weeks since I started in earnest. I posted a photo of my workbench on my profile. Its actualy the kinchen worktop. Haven't fed the wife and kids for ages !

Steve