Meteors anyone?????

• 6 years later...

Isn't it a shower of meteors?? :wicked::winkgrin:

Nice work Bill - missed this one first time around. As above, the NF.11 does it for me.

Did you repaint the FR.9 in the end?

Cheers

Rick

Edited by Spad
  • Like 1

Nice work Bill - missed this one first time around. As above, the NF.11 does it for me.

Cheers

Rick

Might be Rick, but we get water out of our shower. :clown::bleh::coat:

Cheers

Rick

No, its still in DG/DSG/PRU Blue. I need to finish off another F8, T7 (Hybrid) and PR10 before I go back to repainting the 'oldies' (though I reckon that PR10 must have been on the go for over ten years now!!!)

Hiya Bill,

They are all great and I don`t think that the FR.9 needs to be repainted, during the late 1950`s 208 Sqn had some, if not all FR.9`s painted in this scheme, I`ve seen colour photos of them and some were passed on to 8 Sqn to operate as a photo flight alongside its Venom`s.

Cheers

Tony.

Hiya Bill,

They are all great and I don`t think that the FR.9 needs to be repainted, during the late 1950`s 208 Sqn had some, if not all FR.9`s painted in this scheme, I`ve seen colour photos of them and some were passed on to 8 Sqn to operate as a photo flight alongside its Venom`s.

Cheers

Tony.

It doesn't have to be re-painted Tony, its just I fancy doing her in the high altitude day bomber scheme of Light Slate Grey/Medium Sea Grey over PRU blue as a change. I've some artwork in one of my books showing this scheme on a 79 Sqn FR9 with the large red arrowhead through the roundel....

It doesn't have to be re-painted Tony, its just I fancy doing her in the high altitude day bomber scheme of Light Slate Grey/Medium Sea Grey over PRU blue as a change. I've some artwork in one of my books showing this scheme on a 79 Sqn FR9 with the large red arrowhead through the roundel....

Hiya Bill,

I`ve got a copy of that photo plus a rather blurred colour photo depicting the same scheme and I`m toying with doing that one myself to join my 208 Sqn model which I`ve attached here an encouragement;

justdecalled.jpg

I must point out however that I got the demarcation line along the top of the engine nacelles wrong, it should be parallel with the fuselage and end well before the jet pipe.

Good luck and all the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Hiya Bill,

I`ve got a copy of that photo plus a rather blurred colour photo depicting the same scheme and I`m toying with doing that one myself to join my 208 Sqn model which I`ve attached here an encouragement;

justdecalled.jpg

I must point out however that I got the demarcation line along the top of the engine nacelles wrong, it should be parallel with the fuselage and end well before the jet pipe.

Good luck and all the best

Tony

You may not be old enough to remember Tony(!), but back in the early days of SAM (ca.1979), Mike Keep had a line drawing of WX969 of 208 Sqn., in this issue it had the high demarkation line, but also noted as being in Dark green/Dark Sea Grey uppers! A drawing was also included in a later copy (Suez Crisis?) with Orange panels above the wing and on the fuselage- this has been copied bt R.Caruana etc. - probably incorrectly!Your MAM article of course helped address this "confusion".....and I seem to recall Paul Lucas did some articles in SAM as well....

Since then I've managed to find a few examples, and some with squadron markings such as WB122 of 79Sqn. (p.164 The Gloster Meteor by Edward Shacklady). The colour artwork has it (erroneously!) in three-tone grey(!) but with the high demarkation line must surely be in the high altitude scheme. Its this machine I'll re-paint her in - when I get around to it!

Hiya Bill,

I`m afraid that I am old enough (wish I wasn`t!) and know which drawings you mean, I usually trust Mike Keep`s stuff implicitly but I`d never been happy with those Meteor FR.9 side views, especially with those so called Dayglow panels so I researched them on and off for years and finally reached my Eureka moment so made my model! Neil and Paul at MAM where a bit sceptical of the scheme at first but once I`d provided my evidence they came `on side' and were believers. After I`d proved that it was applied to Vampire`s (and of course Canberra`s) too, Paul went off and did more research and found it on Hornet F.4`s as well and he wrote an article to accompany my Meteor and Vampire models,....a nice team effort.

I`m glad that it was of interest and like you say,....once you know about this scheme it just jumps out at you from b&w photo`s doesn`t it,.....there is another in the Crowood Meteor book wearing 2nd TAF codes, I think it is a 79 Sqn aircraft from before the red chevron was adopted and of course there are colour photos in Roger Lindsey`s Cold War Shield?

All the best

Tony

PS- Quite a few letters were received at MAM saying that there was no such scheme and quoted Mike`s drawings as reference but one letter went further to say that it could not be correct for an RAF aircraft as the camouflage was too `squiggly', which made me smile, especially as I`d used photos of RAF Meteors` as reference! You just cannot please all of the people all of the time can you!

PPS- Bill- I have a photo of a II (AC) Sqn Meteor FR.9 wearing this scheme and the units black and white fighter bars (as per the Swift) too so if you PM me your e mail address I`ll sent it off to you if you like with some other goodies.

Edited by tonyot