F-4J (UK) Phantom

Shaun

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:10 PM, Dr Evil said:

Patrick, I didn't say the paint was US, I said the painting was contracted out by the US and the aircraft were painted in the contractors nearest equivalent. I can only say what I was told in 1988 by guys on the Sqn, which for me as a spotty 16 year old Space Cadet being shown around Sierra with the horrible Tiger Meet markings not properly cleaned off was a genuine treat, as the Toom has always been my first love. That said, with std three year rotation maybe the story had already developed as original members had already moved on. And I can only endorse your books as a Phantom Lover, your books (signed of course) are prized and much thumbed in my collection. I know how much work goes into these but I want more, please!!

So what would you like to see in print?  Where did you get the books?

Pat Martin

13 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

If I'm allowed to chime in - I have all Double Ugly Phantom books so far (and a fair number of other AirDOC publications), and plan on getting any and all future volumes. I got them mostly direct from Little Shop of Phantoms and a few from the LHS in Aalsmeerderbrug.

And if I might make a suggestion - a Double Ugly volume on Japanese Phantoms would not go amiss..!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

Pat Martin

All purchased at Telford, always good to have a chat with the Authors of these lines ;-)

And agreed with the above, when the original couple of Doube Ugly Israeli Phantom Books came out I was told that all operators would be covered releasing at least a couple a year. Understandably an overambitious release schedule, but so far the books have been fantastic and you can never have too many Toom books. As nice as a Japanese volume next would be, I'd concentrate on those air arms that have retired the beast, so as to be able to cover their entire service with that operator. 60th birthday of the old Beast next year too.

• Like 1

Ok then chaps,

I haven't been on for a while and have a whole stack of messages to catch up on, so please bear with me!

I'm doing a Tamiya 1/32 F4-J uk and have pretty much got to the point of painting it. Whereas I have a match for all the colour specified, and it looks ok to my eyes in the jar, could somebody please confirm to me that the inner wings were indeed a different colour to the fuselage? I've seen photos of ZE359 which seems to show that the inner wings and fuselage were the same colour (along with leading and trailing edges of wings) with the outer wings being a different colour? I'm assuming this is either an anomaly on theis specific aircraft or a trick of the light on the film? 

I've my 3 colours selected to represent the aircraft in question, but before I go launching into airbrushing, I thought I would ask! 

Many thanks

Chris

On 24/06/2017 at 20:10, Dr Evil said:

Patrick, I didn't say the paint was US, I said the painting was contracted out by the US and the aircraft were painted in the contractors nearest equivalent. I can only say what I was told in 1988 by guys on the Sqn, which for me as a spotty 16 year old Space Cadet being shown around Sierra with the horrible Tiger Meet markings not properly cleaned off was a genuine treat, as the Toom has always been my first love. That said, with std three year rotation maybe the story had already developed as original members had already moved on. And I can only endorse your books as a Phantom Lover, your books (signed of course) are prized and much thumbed in my collection. I know how much work goes into these but I want more, please!!

There was no such thing as a standard three year rotation in the RAF at that time, true you could be posted to a Sqn and moved on after 3 years but  I spent 7 years on a Sqn at that time so it's entirely likely that there were people on the Sqn that were there when the aircraft was received, therefore the story yo were told at the time could be true rather than folklore, but then again...

Hello Chris,

at least all published drawings give the three gray camouflage. The outer wings are Barley Gray (or BS 626 Camouflage Gray as it is called) and inner wings BS 637 MSG. Studying the photos don't show any difference at all; at least I can't see it.

My "Big" F-4J is also almost ready for the paint shop. As I have a soft spot for all RAF aircraft the idea of a F-4J(UK) is very tempting. Which decals and stencils are you going to use on yours?

Best Regards,

Antti

• 6 months later...
  • Julien unpinned this topic